Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult would this be to do?

Options
  • 13-07-2010 1:27pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the middle of trying to make a charity's website for them. I'm using Wordpress and have just purchased a theme for them to use. We really don't have any more money left for customization (I'm not getting paid btw).

But there's one thing I'd really like to change on the theme. You can see here: http://organicthemes.com/demo/nonprofit/ that there is a feedburner up the top right corner. The visitors to the website I'm trying to make won't be feed type people. I would like to change it into a system where the person can put in their name and address and it to be sent on to me.

It's not a widget area, so it'll require changing CSS. I understand the basics of CSS and find my way around the stylesheet. But I haven't been able to figure this out.

So my question is, would it be possible to do it myself? Or should I hire a professional, and lastly, any idea how much a pro would cost?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

dory wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of trying to make a charity's website for them. I'm using Wordpress and have just purchased a theme for them to use. We really don't have any more money left for customization (I'm not getting paid btw).

But there's one thing I'd really like to change on the theme. You can see here: http://organicthemes.com/demo/nonprofit/ that there is a feedburner up the top right corner. The visitors to the website I'm trying to make won't be feed type people. I would like to change it into a system where the person can put in their name and address and it to be sent on to me.

It's not a widget area, so it'll require changing CSS. I understand the basics of CSS and find my way around the stylesheet. But I haven't been able to figure this out.

So my question is, would it be possible to do it myself? Or should I hire a professional, and lastly, any idea how much a pro would cost?

Thanks
    one question do you have firebug ?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

you get this:

alteredtheme_thumb.png

if you comment out the <div id="bannerrighttop"> using <!-- and --> in the index.php it removes the subscribe form from the page.

If you want to keep the page fold thing at the top right corner, comment out the <div id="homesubscribe"> block inside the "bannerrighttop" div.
    You will then have to change the background colour of <div id="bannerrighttop"> to white and maybe change the position and size of it.

Not that big of a job but little details may be tricky.
    I'd recommend using the "web developer toolbar" addon for Firefox to help you. It can show you the CSS properties and even the outlines of divs etc on the page. I find it very useful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks to both of you. I haven't got Firebug but I'm going to look into it now. Some fun for the weekend!

Advertisement