Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 bill €1000 for data

Options
  • 13-07-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

OK....got my O2 phone bill today, and it was €983 for data...apparently using my smartphone as a modem is really expensive....any suggestions on an approach to take with o2 to get them to reduce it...just because I wasn't signed up to the right package. If I had been on the 1GB data bundle it would have only cost €10.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In short your in the wrong, you didn't sign up to a suitable package for your needs so when you used the service they charged you accordingly.

It would be equal to saying that its unfair you got charged for 02 to 02 calls but yet you actually didn't sign up to a free O2 to O2 call package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

any suggestions on an approach to take with o2 to get them to reduce it...

Ask, and see what happens. They won't waive it, but they sometimes reduce it.

If I had been on the 1GB data bundle it would have only cost €10.

Then why weren't on an appropriate package, or why did you use the phone as a modem before checking what the charges would be? You also have to make sure that it can be used when tethered, as this is not always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Cabaal wrote: »
    In short your in the wrong

He is wrong i'm 100% with you there, but o2 were also very wrong to give him a 1000 overdraft. Not all operators will let you run up a bill like that. They could have at lease contacted him.

It's gouging by o2 and nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Its a pity you didn't know about this before Monday 12th, you could have bailed out of your contract.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

For all the complaints 3 get, they put a credit cap on your account, and when you reach it, you cannot make calls/texts/browse the web (and you are warned). It is sneaky practice of o2 not to do this, but the onus is on the op to check any charges before racking up a bill.

Plead your case op, its all you can do, you are in the wrong.

• Advertisement

OP contact Bosshog

He is the authority with 02 on this forum. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

He is wrong i'm 100% with you there, but o2 were also very wrong to give him a 1000 overdraft. Not all operators will let you run up a bill like that. They could have at lease contacted him.

It's gouging by o2 and nothing less.

companies prey on the stupid, and so they should, it keeps the cost down for the majority of other people(who have a bit of cop on)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

using a mobile as a modem is a different service (apparently), known as tethering, and the mobile phone companies charge differently.

Contact o2 and explain the situation. In most cases reported here on this forum, posters have had the charges substantially reduced (but never voided).

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Op all you can do is contact o2 and ask them for refund.
    The agent won't be able to refund that much it will be supervisor or billshock team.

I have seen this happen before and it only takes about 10 mins to run up that much, depends on usage.

They will probably say its your own fault for not checking data charges. You can always say you are leaving o2 but i don't think it will make a difference.

Be nice to who ever your dealing with. Might help.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you appreach O2 with a nice logical argument you'll likely win out, but you have to keep it all very logical. I have seen it been done even if your in the wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

forget making a call, get on the o2 forums, explain your case to daryl or paddy, and they'll do their best to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

This post has been deleted.

I'm sorry but how is it O2's responsibility to stop someone running up a bill.

The OP should take responsibilty for his/her own actions..... it seems like everyone nowadays wants to blame someone else....I myself ran up similar bills over the years - I didn't blame anyone claiming its the network operators fault their roaming charges were too high, or the cost of phoning another country or a premium number in Ireland.

O2 like all the other network operators are there to make money - compared to international counterparts they are all expensive, if the OP didnt want a high bill he/she should have used a pre-pay phone, or goto an internet cafe instead of using his/her phone as a modem....or heaven forbid - they get one of them dongle thingies or internet ADD on !!!

o2 made me take out a mortgage

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I'm sorry but how is it O2's responsibility to stop someone running up a bill.

The OP should take responsibilty for his/her own actions..... it seems like everyone nowadays wants to blame someone else....I myself ran up similar bills over the years - I didn't blame anyone claiming its the network operators fault their roaming charges were too high, or the cost of phoning another country or a premium number in Ireland.

O2 like all the other network operators are there to make money - compared to international counterparts they are all expensive, if the OP didnt want a high bill he/she should have used a pre-pay phone, or goto an internet cafe instead of using his/her phone as a modem....or heaven forbid - they get one of them dongle thingies or internet ADD on !!!
    Hindsight is great. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

Rang 02 and O2 agreed with me that I should have been put on a 1gb data package when I changed phones last time to a smartphone and wrote off almost all of the bill...thanks O2, also thanks to everyone else who enjoyed saying "I told you so", your non constructive comments were very much unappreciated.....everyone else thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Lucky you!
    Well done.

Rang 02 and O2 agreed with me that I should have been put on a 1gb data package when I changed phones last time to a smartphone and wrote off almost all of the bill

Make sure that allows for tethering, as most mobile add-ons don't allow you to use the phone as a modem. There are different add-ons for that, usually at a different price, so make sure you get the right one if you want to use the phone as a modem in future. Otherwise, even with the 1GB add on, you'll be charged per MB of tethered data. A lot of iPhone users have been caught with that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

companies prey on the stupid, and so they should, it keeps the cost down for the majority of other people(who have a bit of cop on)

I absolutely despise this kind of post, mate if you have nothing helpful or constructive to say then say nothing...the guy has just been hit for a grand and he doesn't need people like you calling him stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

it will be supervisor or billshock team.

Jesus H Christ, the actually have a billshock team?? Now I think anybody on o2 is stupid, an o2 contract is like keeping a pet tiger in the living room, it's all nice and friendly until one day you put a foot wrong and the bastard tears your limbs off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

jor el wrote: »
    Make sure that allows for tethering, as most mobile add-ons don't allow you to use the phone as a modem. There are different add-ons for that, usually at a different price, so make sure you get the right one if you want to use the phone as a modem in future. Otherwise, even with the 1GB add on, you'll be charged per MB of tethered data. A lot of iPhone users have been caught with that one.
    Getting charged for tethering is mainly an iPhone issue, it can be done for free on most other phones i.e it comes out of your data package usage

donfers wrote: »
    I absolutely despise this kind of post, mate if you have nothing helpful or constructive to say then say nothing...the guy has just been hit for a grand and he doesn't need people like you calling him stupid

I never called the OP stupid, i was stating facts, sorry if it offended you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

apologies for misquoting you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

OK....got my O2 phone bill today, and it was €983 for data...
    Firstly thank you for taking the time to post here and alerting others to the perils of dealing with a <snip> company like O2.
    apparently using my smartphone as a modem is really expensive....
    Yea as some twit on here will probably attempt to explain to you that the data coming into your computer is soooo expensive that it's all justified. Need an example of somebody with a little bit of knowledge then this is the place.
    any suggestions on an approach to take with o2 to get them to reduce it...
    The movie hostel comes to mind. Lying in the bathtub using a sickle to toy with my favourite O2 characters... hearing them cry for mercy and promise how they'll pay back all the people they ripped off...

You implied it. In a lot of your posts you sit there heckling people trying to suggest that they're stupid directly or indirectly. You're like a teenage child moaning at and about everything while you think you're clever. Donfers was right; you have nothing constructive or helpful to say.
    Any chance you're in that movie on your link? I'd say you fit in perfectly there.
    Rang 02 and O2 agreed with me that I should have been put on a 1gb data package when I changed phones last time to a smartphone and wrote off almost all of the bill...
    You jammy SOB. Any chance you're from Limerick? Givus a loan?
    I'm glad you got your few quid back. Did you get your money back or credit? However don't be conned into thinking they're a nice crowd, there has to be something behind it. Either you had them by the balls, they're losing customers enough to look bad on the books, they're getting too much bad press? For some reason they're covering their ass on their side. I dunno but you can be sure they're not your friends.
    also thanks to everyone else who enjoyed saying "I told you so", your non constructive comments were very much unappreciated.....everyone else thanks!!
    ahh yes. There you were just after getting your nuts kicked up in ya and you thought sure I'll tell the friendly bunch on boards.ie and through Irish comradery they'll all bunch in and support a fella. pffft! There is some kind of syndrom affecting quite a few people on here where they sit behind their PCs and can't wait to wag their fingers and tell you how wrong you were and seem to think they're clever as they patronize the F* s* out of you. They prove how technically correct they are (while they haven't f* clue about the moral or social issues). Then they all "thank" each other. It's great isn't it.

Glad you got your few quid back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Bosshogg banned for 2 weeks for failing to heed previous warnings about his vendetta against o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Bosshogg banned for 2 weeks for failing to heed previous warnings about his vendetta against o2.
    I was going to hit the 'Thank You' button... but then I realised it said 2 weeks as opposed to 2 years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wasnt there a law passed a few months ago to make the phone companies ring you or notify you when you have gone over the limit, maybe it hasnt fully come in yet, but If i was you I would do some researching fast, 1000euro is just ridiclous and it is even more ridiclous that they hadnt the decency to notfiy you.

donfers wrote: »

I stating facts, it's nobodies fault but his own he was hit for a grand

Pangea wrote: »
    Wasnt there a law passed a few months ago to make the phone companies ring you or notify you when you have gone over the limit,

That applies to roaming data charges, and not domestic ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement