Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Match Seven: BigBenRoeth v curry-muff

• 13-07-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Ploughing on with the knockouts. Best of luck to both.

Winner? 5 votes

BigBenRoeth
    0%
    curry-muff
    100%
    eventReganio 2HazysBigBenRoethMr. Guappa 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

curry-muff
    Right,first off,I will throw up my XI and my opponents XI,for handiness sake.
    My XI:

1279025999442263.jpg

Curry-Muff's XI: (please note that i don't know how exactly this team will line up but it makes it a lot handier for me if i want to take a quick glance at his XI again)
    127902624888535.jpg

Right so here are the two XI's,I will start now extolling my team's virtues in Defence,Midfield and Attack,then do a bit on why i should beat Curry-muff.

In defence : I believe my defence is one of my teams stronger points.We start with Joe Hart in goal,it is true he has no world cup experience,however,players are to be judged on recent league form too,and this lad has just had the season of his life with Birmingham.
    Next are my 2 fullbacks,Sagna and Bastos.
    As you know these two are 2 very attack minded fullbacks,with Sagna constantly bombing up the right to put in a cross for Arsenal,and the same said of Bastos with Lyon,Bastos also boasts a rocket of a left foot which he is never shy of using,as he's shown a few times in the past.
    Now onto my CB pairing,Vidic and Gallas.
    Vidic won't need much bigging up,what better center back is there around?
    He has been Man United's key player in recent years,he is built like a ****house,quick on his feet and strong in the tackle.
    William Gallas is a slightly different story.
    He has had his moments of going a bit mad with Arsenal,but i still think he is a solid,dependable center back.
    Had a bit of a dodgy season last season,but I think a pairing of him and Vidic would be near impregnable.

In Midfield: Now,we come to midfield.
    First playing as a right midfielder/winger,we have the great Stanley Matthews.
    What more needs to be said? This man was one of the greatest wingers in football history,and he didn't get his nickname "The wizard of the dribble" for nothing,in my team wing play will be of the utmost importance,and there's no better man to run fullbacks ragged.
    Now on to my center of Midfield,Consisting of Gareth Barry and the (in)famous Wilson Palacios,my first pick in the draft.
    This central midfield pairing will be criticised for not being creative,and I'm not going to try to bull**** my way out of it,these two are not in there to create,they are in there to break up the play and win back possession,and with Barry and Palacios' range of tackles,I think this is a match made in heaven.These are two players who will have a big role to play in providing cover for the defence too as curry muff's wingers come forward.
    My left wing is taken up by Luka Modric.
    I think this lad is world class,and it is no wonder Man Utd. are known to want him.
    He is Totenham's key man,playing on the left or as an attacking midfielder.
    He is two footed,quick,can beat a man,finishes better than many strikers and puts in beautiful crosses,I think he could have a field day in this match.

In Attack : My front two is made of Klose and Nilmar.
    Neither of these are names that would spring to mind if you were asked to name 10 strikers,however I think these were 2 very good picks.
    Klose was not much fancied in the world cup after a pretty rough season with Bayern but he came good for Germany in south Africa.
    He is the personfication of the "Fox in the box". He is not a striker who will skin 3 defenders and then wallop it home from 30 yards,he will stand around in the box not doing much,before pouncing on any ball that comes his way and then slotting it home.
    Nilmar is in my squad for his versatility.
    The role he is going to have in my team is to play nearly in the hole,he will be given license to move around the front of the box,making runs and dragging the defence out of position,freeing up some space for Klose to work with.That's not to say he is not there to score goals,but i think Klose will be my main danger man here.

VS Curry-Muff :I think my team is more than capable of coming out on top in this match,and I'll explain why here.
    Curry's team is very strong in attack,there is no denying that,but I think his defence is very frail.Similarly,I feel my defence is better equipped to deal with Curry's attack than vice-versa. I think Felipe Melo is very hit and miss,and i think you will get nowhere with a defence of Carragher Ferdinand and Albiol.
    My team is set out to use to full width of the pitch,and i think Matthews,Modric and Nilmar could pull this weak defence apart and provide lots of service for Klose who will be waiting in the box,Ferdinand,in my opinion,has shot it,so I think he would have serious problems dealing with Klose and then rest of my attacking force.
    With regards to my defending Curry Muff's attack,I dont think Carragher and Albiol will provide much width going forward,its a well known fact that Carragher dosen't like playing RB at all.
    That said,with Kalou and Sanchez in the squad there will be good width in the final third,Kalou and Sanchez are not bad widemen either but I think Bastos and Sagna,with occasional backup coming from Palacios and Barry are well capable of dealing with this threat,and Gallas and Vidic will be strong in the air defending anything that comes from wide,and will be like a brick wall defending anything coming through the middle.
    That said,I can't simply ignore van Basten and Suarez,and I think this very hefty attack is capable of scoring one or two,but i think my more balanced team is capable of having a field day in attack while being resoloute in defence,and i think we could win 3-1.
    Now vote for me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Right well I think BigBenRoeth has summed up this match pretty well but with some fancy wording to attempt to swing things his way, my formation is pretty similar to what he posted:

1279032502773897.jpg

Goalkeeper
    Not much to say here really, the guy is rivalled only by Iker Casillas for the best goalkeeper in the world right now, the backbone for Brazil and champions league winning Inter milan, two of the best defensive units in world football today.

Defence
    Im sporting a 3 come 5 man defence with Carragher Ferdinand and Albiol at the back, supported by Busquets and Melo. Ferdiand and Albiol posess plenty of speed to deal with Nilmar and Klose and what Carragher lacks in speed he makes up with his experience and fantastic positioning. In front of the back 3 is Busquets and Melo. I know Busquets isn't quite everyones cup of tea but I dont think anyone can argue with his footballing ability, has kept Yaya Toure out of Barcas XI and Fabregas out of Spains, simply because he plays the defensive midfield role so well, combined with his ability to link with the players around him so well. Melo is one of Brazils new generation of defensive players and thrives well on a quality passing midfield where he can break down opposition play and pass off the ball to let the other lads do their work.

Attack
    Im very pleased with the attacking side of my team and I know it will challenge any of the defenses in the draft. Both my wingers posess speed and trickery of the highest level with Kalou and Sanchez both of whom are on the back of good seasons for their clubs. Sanchez pretty much rocketed into the publics eye this season after an amazing season for udinese, suitably dubbed "El Niño Maravilla", the wonder boy.

Through the centre we have Luis Suarez and Marco ban Basten operating around the axis of Steven Gerrard in his preferred role. Gerrard will be given a free role to do whatever he wants as he will be backed by a 2 man defensive midfield so he wont be hampered by his defensive duties as he has been at times recently for Liverpool and England.

The two front men need no real introductions Luis Suarez ending the season scoring 35 goals in Holland and 49 in all competitions and on the back of a wonderful Uruguayan world cup campaign as striker come goalkeeper forming in my opinion the best Striking partnership in the tournament. The other, Marco van Basten, is a footballing legend, one of those that the footballers of today have modelled themselves on. Scoring 218 goals in 280 games in club football and 24 in 58 for Holland I think my strikeforce has a real eye for goal.

Now on to my opponent:

1279025999442263.jpg

Attack first, I had worried that some of the more formiddable strike partnerships in the game might trouble me, but thankfully this isnt one of them. Take Klose out of the German side and he is a shadow of the player we have seen him as at the world cups, proven by his awesome goal tally of 3 goals this season for Bayern. Nilmar I'll admit is a player I admire, mostly for his speed and ability to score headers despite his size, but he has no real physical presence and wouldnt really trouble any of my 3 centre backs. On the wings, theres nothing I can really say about Matthews in all honesty I have heard that he is one of the best players that England have ever possessed but in all honesty saying more would just be ignorance so I'd rather not. Modric on the other hand I know a little more about and I see him as a very creative player, but also a highly overrated player, Impressed me a lot in the Euros but not so much since arriving in England, a player that I think is being played out of position, as he is known for his passing ability and not so much for his pace, possibly he would be better off in the middle but I think that Melo and Busquets should be able to deal with the two wide players.

In midfield, I had to resist a childish temptation of just posting a picture of Palacios and LOL as my whole writeup although I am aware he is an important player for spurs I believe it is just because of Harrys system and the fact that they have nobody else that could play it. Barry again had an unimpressive season for City but I am aware that while on form he is a good passer of the ball and a handy penalty taker.

In defense, he posesses one of the best centre backs in the world in Vidic arguing about his quality would be stupid so Im gona move on to Gallas, Gallas has had a few poor seasons now and has been a liability for Arsenal, especially this season, having to have Vermaalen to clean up his messes time after time. Vidic isn't a player Id have to force to do this as he needs another quality defender alongside him for when he is beat for pace.
    With regards to his wing backs Sagna and Bastos I see a threat as when both are on form they are really impressive players, Bastos has been excellent for Brazil in the world cup but Im sure in a rematch of Bastos v Sanchez he would be caused a lot more problems as Sanchez was let down by his teammates in the round of 16 matchup. Sagna I have also said that on his day he is a very impressive player, but then again he struggles for consistency. This said I concede that his physicallity may be too much for Kalou and I will concede that this is the one area I may struggle in.

My prediction for this match would be 2-0 or 3-1 in favour of myself.

curry-muff
    Right well now I suppose I'll have to argue against the points made by Curry.
    Firstly I'll talk about my strike force. I think Curry seriously underestimates Klose's abilities. It's true he has had a ****e season with Bayern,but his international record stands to be seen,it would be similar to Robinho who is not always at his best at club level but does the job for Brazil,I think he and Nilmar,with the support provided by Matthews and Modric (who has played on the left of midfield for Spurs,and does a job because he is two footed) can cause big problems against Curry's back 3/5.
    Now I'll try and justify Palacios being there.
    Curry said that he is only an important player for Spurs because they have no one else who can play there,and frankly I think this is rubbish.
    Harry Redknapp has said that Palacios is the first name on his team sheet,and Harry Redknapp would not say that about a player who is only effective because he's the only player who can play there,and if any manager was to find a replacement for a player he' not happy with,it would be Harry.
    Now on to Gallas.
    It is true that Gallas has been lacklustre recently,but I think him in bad form is still better than many other players in good form,and I still believe the pairing of him and Vidic would be very difficult to get through.

Right well now I suppose I'll have to argue against the points made by Curry.
    Firstly I'll talk about my strike force. I think Curry seriously underestimates Klose's abilities. It's true he has had a ****e season with Bayern,but his international record stands to be seen,it would be similar to Robinho who is not always at his best at club level but does the job for Brazil,I think he and Nilmar,with the support provided by Matthews and Modric (who has played on the left of midfield for Spurs,and does a job because he is two footed) can cause big problems against Curry's back 3/5.
    Now I'll try and justify Palacios being there.
    Curry said that he is only an important player for Spurs because they have no one else who can play there,and frankly I think this is rubbish.
    Harry Redknapp has said that Palacios is the first name on his team sheet,and Harry Redknapp would not say that about a player who is only effective because he's the only player who can play there,and if any manager was to find a replacement for a player he' not happy with,it would be Harry.
    Now on to Gallas.
    It is true that Gallas has been lacklustre recently,but I think him in bad form is still better than many other players in good form,and I still believe the pairing of him and Vidic would be very difficult to get through.

Im not putting down Klose as a player, undboubtedly he has quality, I was just saying that he only decides to perform and put effort in for his country, in a one off match as such im not sure you would get the best out of him, that and I feel he needs to have a creative midfielder behind him along with a second striker, neither which I see Barry or Palacios to be capable of.
    Saying Palacios is the first name on the team sheet doesn't disprove my point, perhaps he is the first person on the team sheet because his position is undisputed because of lack of other options ;)

I agree that any pairing with Vidic in it would be hard to get through, probably even playing him in a one man defence, but playing him beside someone so prone to mistakes will hamper him as well because he not only has to look out for himself but his partner as well.

curry-muff
    curry-muff wrote: »
    Im not putting down Klose as a player, undboubtedly he has quality, I was just saying that he only decides to perform and put effort in for his country, in a one off match as such im not sure you would get the best out of him, that and I feel he needs to have a creative midfielder behind him along with a second striker, neither which I see Barry or Palacios to be capable of.
    Saying Palacios is the first name on the team sheet doesn't disprove my point, perhaps he is the first person on the team sheet because his position is undisputed because of lack of other options ;)

I agree that any pairing with Vidic in it would be hard to get through, probably even playing him in a one man defence, but playing him beside someone so prone to mistakes will hamper him as well because he not only has to look out for himself but his partner as well.

I also said that if Harry wasn't happy with a player he would be quick to replace him,and with that squad having got 4th place i'd say he must be happy with him.
    Also,like with me pick Joe Hart,aren't players to be judged going by World Cup and league performances?
    If so,then the opposite to Joe Hart,I reckon Kloses world cup performances would more than make up for his poor form in the league this season,he averages roughly a goal every other game for germany.

Also,I think passing Gallas off as a mere hinderence is extremely unfair,He is still more than capable of doing a job in the center of defence.

• Advertisement

Also,like with me pick Joe Hart,aren't players to be judged going by World Cup performances?
    If so,then the opposite to Joe Hart,I reckon Kloses world cup performances would more than make up for his poor form in the league this season,he averages roughly a goal every other game for germany.

If thats your argument then based on world cup performances you dont have a keeper and this game would be pretty easy for me ;

curry-muff
    If thats your argument then based on world cup performances you dont have a keeper and this game would be pretty easy for me ;

Mistake there,just edited,as i said in my OP,players are to be judged on league form and world cup appearances

Mistake there,just edited,as i said in my OP,players are to be judged on league form and world cup appearances

So you are back to strengthening my point that when Klose is taken out of the German team he is a completely different player.

Or, are you pointing out that Hart shouldn't be considered as a good keeper because his International experience is basically non existent.

Either way I got the impression that we should be picking players that should be experienced at both domestic and international level and with the exception of Melo I believe my team follows this and even in his case he is similar to Klose who performs very well for his country to make up for his club performances and as Ive said before I believe Melos poor club form to be down to the fact that he is hampered at Juve and would thrive in a team better suited to him like Arsenal or Barca.

curry-muff
    So you are back to strengthening my point that when Klose is taken out of the German team he is a completely different player.

Or, are you pointing out that Hart shouldn't be considered as a good keeper because his International experience is basically non existent.

Either way I got the impression that we should be picking players that should be experienced at both domestic and international level and with the exception of Melo I believe my team follows this and even in his case he is similar to Klose who performs very well for his country to make up for his club performances and as Ive said before I believe Melos poor club form to be down to the fact that he is hampered at Juve and would thrive in a team better suited to him like Arsenal or Barca.

You mustnt be reading my posts properly at all because in 2 of them I stated that Hart was a good pick because his league form outweighs his lack of experience,and the opposite can be said of Klose.

As regards to Melo he has never been outstanding for either club or country.

You mustnt be reading my posts properly at all because in 2 of them I stated that Hart was a good pick because his league form outweighs his lack of experience,and the opposite can be said of Klose.

As regards to Melo he has never been outstanding for either club or country.

Melo's job isn't to be outstanding with flair and skill, its to do the work that other Brazillians don't want to, and doing that he has certainly been doing it well consistently for Brazil proved by the fact that he has rarely missed a match in the last few years.

He is a solid defensive player who puts in a full shift every game and never goes forward trying to impress, just what I took him for, he does the same for both club and country only looking better for country because he suits Brazils system much better than Juves.

Klose on the other hand does pretty much nothing for Bayern but impresses for Germany.

• Advertisement
Advertisement