Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the people here who know about bikes , which one if any ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Seres,

If you're using it specifically for triathlons id say to look at TT bikes and not road ones unless you have some valid reason for needing a road bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The only significant difference is that the more expensive one has Ultegra SL rather than 105 as the groupset. This will make it very slightly lighter but performance to all intents and purposes will be the same. Either look like a decent bike if you are getting a decent deal on it. The Shimano RS20 wheels on the more expensive one are probably a touch better too.

I would disagree with looking at TT bikes. Only look at TT bikes when you have a road bike already. You need a road bike for training, long distance spins and if you want to ride with other people which you can't do on a TT bike. Stick aero bars on the road bike for the tris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

blorg wrote: »
    I would disagree with looking at TT bikes. Only look at TT bikes when you have a road bike already. You need a road bike for training, long distance spins and if you want to ride with other people which you can't do on a TT bike. Stick aero bars on the road bike for the tris.

Agree, if you are only gonna have one bike its better to get a road bike.

Surely a cheap second hand road bike would be worth considering then and spending cash on a TT bike.

I ll bow to your superior technical knowledge but surely a half decent TT rig will be more beneficial than a road bike with clip ons?

Edit: I also took the new bike bit from seres as being she had one already and was upgrading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Surely a cheap second hand road bike would be worth considering then and spending cash on a TT bike.

I ll bow to your superior technical knowledge but surely a half decent TT rig will be more beneficial than a road bike with clip ons?

Edit: I also took the new bike bit from seres as being she had one already and was upgrading
    post is actually for a friend , who has no bike , thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Even a cheap second hand road bike is going to be 400-500 euro, which leaves little budget for what might even be a half decent TT bike. Better to have a good road bike with aero bars and money for a helmet rather than a POS TT+road bike stable, which he might not even have room for.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Even a cheap second hand road bike is going to be 400-500 euro, which leaves little budget for what might even be a half decent TT bike. Better to have a good road bike with aero bars and money for a helmet rather than a POS TT+road bike stable, which he might not even have room for.
    point taken, but you can also reverse it around and say why spend €1500 on an ultegra bike decent wheels etc when you ultimately want to buy a decent TT bike and will probably end doing so down the line. see my point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It would be but especially at entry level you can get most of the way there with clip ons, adjusted position and a pointy hat. If you only have the one bike a road bike is far more versatile. Fit is also very critical on a TT bike and I think you need experience with the road bike fit first before you go there. I was also taking it that they have no bike right now and are beginning with triathlon. I would certainly like a TT bike myself but I survive without one.

It would be but especially at entry level you can get most of the way there with clip ons, adjusted position and a pointy hat. If you only have the one bike a road bike is far more versatile. Fit is also very critical on a TT bike and I think you need experience with the road bike fit first before you go there. I was also taking it that they have no bike right now and are beginning with triathlon. I would certainly like a TT bike myself but I survive without one.
    I totally take your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

point taken, but you can also reverse it around and say why spend €1500 on an ultegra bike decent wheels etc when you ultimately want to buy a decent TT bike and will probably end doing so down the line. see my point?

I think that really depends on level. If you are simply looking to take part in your first triathlons then learning to adopt a more aero position is going to take a lot of work and refinement. I don't believe significant gains would be made by buying a TT bike outright, you need to first develop your position and I think that is best done on a road bike.

Far too many people on very nice TT bikes with bad setups, in the end it is probably costing you more time than anything else.

Once you have refined your setup, have the skinsuit and TT helmet and need to get the last bits of performance and knock a few seconds off, then go for the TT bike.

Seeing as that might be a few years down the line I think buying a road bike now and upgrading later makes more sense rather than buying a TT bike you can't use properly.

EDIT: It seems blorg beat me to most of it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement