Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Meteor Prepay to Meteor Billpay

Options
  • 13-07-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I went into a Meteor shop last week and was told by the girl in there that the best deal i could get was if i was a new Meteor customer, so she advised me to go to a Vodafone shop, tell them i am switching to Vodafone and want a free Vodafone sim. Then when i go back to her in the Meteor shop, that i could get a very favourable deal due to me being a "new Meteor customer".

I'm just wondering if it is as simple as going into a Vodafoen shop and them copying my Meteor sim onto a Vodafone sim? Would i not have to fill in loads of forms etc? Or could i be honest with them and explain exactly what i am doing (i doubt this is an option)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 WakaWaka88

The girl in the Meteor shop also said to tell them my phone was unlocked anyway, which i don't think it is. How long does the process of copying the sim take do ya know?

That's great bud thanks. Will probably pop down to them at lunch time tomorrow

So i popped down to Vodafone at lunch and asked the girl could i have a Vodafone sim and she just gave me one! She put my number into a computer and said that my meteor sim would stop working in about half an hour (this was an hour ago and it's still working). There were no questions asked so was happy out.

Down to Meteor i went and told them what i did, the guy behind the counter started laughing but said grand and to come back with proof of address and drivers license this evening and they'll set me up

Would the vodafone sim have to be in operation by then? And also does anyone know if there is a new phone included in the deal (it's the €30 SmartPlan 18 month contract deal)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,236 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Go for a HTC desire on that plan, it'll set you back about 129, the shop your dealing with may not have it so be prepared to hit every shop until you find one. Also be prepared for a deposit, meteor are terrible for deposits, budget 100 for the deposit and 129 for the phone.

Ended up getting a HTC Legend, seems like a pretty nice phone.

Got sorted at about 6 yesterday evening, put the new sim into my phone when i got home etc but i was still operating off a new number last night a couple of hours after i had set the phone up. Rang Customer Service and they said it had something to do with porting, and that the porting department were closed at that time of the evening. I presume my normal number will restore some time this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

This is pretty unsurprising

I work in the mobile industry and meteor's recent approach to its customers is laughable in the extreme.

There is even a thread on their own forums relating to someone on a sim only plan who would have to port off and port back onto meteor to recieve the "free calls and texts offer".

Its pretty simple meteor treat their existing customers like crap.

here's the link

http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=1015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

What are the benefits of doing this?

Is it just for the free calls and texts to Meteor? If it is you can get them if you buy the phone on there website (haven't tried this yet but unless I'm missing something!).

Edit. Looking at their forum they clear it up and say it just for new customers. Terrible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Had the same situation as the OP , will be porting over to VOD so i can get free calls and texts to meteor on my new desire.

Anyone know for sure how long this deal is going on for? The dude in the Meteor shop said it started this month and ends this month? This true? heading to Ghana for two weeks so would prefer to sort this out after.

Thanks, ok I got my Vodafone sim today and will be ported over tomorrow morning. Am I ready to order my phone then as a new customer or should I give it a day or two? The guy in Carphone Warehouse said they're coming down on network hopping.

One more thing! Would I be nuts go for the HTC Legend over the Samsung Wave? My heart says Legend

Advertisement