Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia Finally come Good - The GTX460

Options
  • 13-07-2010 1:58pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Took a damn while, but the GTX460 is showing more than impressive benchmarks for the price they're selling at.

http://guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/

I reckon the GTX465 will get chucked and ATI will have to lower the price a bit on their mid-high range cards. Impressive overall though. Might consider picking one up for the right price :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Another positive review from HardOCP

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/07/12/nvidia_geforce_gtx_460_review

And a follow up about SLI performance:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/07/12/nvidia_geforce_gtx_460_sli_performance_followup

Seems two 460's in SLI is going to be a popular occurrence for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm hoping it kickstarts Ati to cut the price of the 5870, they've had it too good for too long. Two of these 460's in Sli works out cheaper than one 5870. I got a crossfire mobo therefore a 5870 is my interest and I'm not going dual card again when all I play is Arma lately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm hoping it kickstarts Ati to cut the price of the 5870, they've had it too good for too long. Two of these 460's in Sli works out cheaper than one 5870. I got a crossfire mobo therefore a 5870 is my interest and I'm not going dual card again when all I play is Arma lately
    If you can pickup a reference 5850 it will overclock to 5870 performance, theyre damn hard to find though, nearly worth it to check the second hand market.

My not very good crystal ball predicts ati will knock the 5850 and 5870 down in about 2 weeks time( no point beforehand because hardcore nvidia fans will buy all retail 460 stock in that time )

Still great card from Nvidia and about time they started improving on the terrible issues with the initial Furbi cards. I expect Nvidia will product an absolute gem card at the end of the year ala 8800GT, 460 comes close but i think theres definately better to come. I also think the 1Gig 460 is the one to consider for price/performance

What i will say is nuts is ATI delivered DX11 cards 10 months ago for high end and mid range, the 5850 was £205 on release and then obviously increased in price due to the lack of competition, its taken nvidia that time to get their act together, things can only get better with the competition, but i think even nvidia need to reduce the 460 1Gb price. The cheapest 460 i could find( lol, and i didnt look hard ) is Overclockers.co.uk's own card which retails for £180, based on the 5850 initially selling for £205 i know which card i would go for now( if the 5850 had the old price ) and it doesnt begin with 4

not trying to be a twit and blow my own trumpet but this is what i got on my 5850 in 3DMark Vantage in March this year after ATI did some driver updates - http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2025166
    Hard to believe when the card i have was bought for £25 more than the Nvidia 460 1Gb edition

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Isn't there rumours of a new GTX 480 reference card?

Anyways, the 5830 seems more than defunct now too.

Isn't there rumours of a new GTX 480 reference card?

Anyways, the 5830 seems more than defunct now too.
    yes, but who knows when thats coming, the 480 was ment to have 512SP's but due to the heat and power consumption Nvidia couldnt do it( especially to conform to the PCIE max wattage ), the new updated card has been someting a lot of people are waiting for, but tbh i think the die shrink will bring the killer Fermi cards.

Atis 5830 was a pointless POS from the start

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Heartbreaking to think what it could have been if AMD had used their brains and retained 24 rendering back-ends instead of 16, bottlenecking its performance horribly...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Its going for 5770 money!

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/227181

Er... that's HD5830 money Lu :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Solitaire wrote: »
    Er... that's HD5830 money Lu :p

Ah now, its £28 cheaper than the cheapest 5830, and £25 more expensive than the cheapest 5770 (512mb), £16 more than the cheapest 1 gb! I stand by my commment anyway :o

Its in between both, thats sterling, not euro, 5770 is £125 sterling
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/199404

5830 is more expensive at £180
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/197008

• Advertisement

You can get HD5830s from €170 and up. That cheapie GTX460 comes out as €180. Although the latter has a much better OCing pedigree...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

/holds off on his ATI build

Oh wait I wasnt go to buy the card @ first anyway.

/continues the AMD build. Hexa-Core FTW

Gotta say though and im not a fanboy( couldnt care less ), ATI are pretty much ruling DX11 and theyre still providing the best price/performance overall. Yes, 460 can be overclocked to nearly 5850 levels but the 5850 is an uber overclocker too.

I would still get a 460 if i wanted the cheapest, but honestly i think i would go for a 5850 just for the extra perfromance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

im actually thinking of building a rig with one of these cards (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/227182) this seems to be the best of the gtx 460's from what ive read, my question is are they actually good can the run modern games at highest settings etc. because at the price that they are for sale for id nearly buy 2 and put them in sli

uhm.... thats a Wireless network card. Not a GPU.

I've earmarked the HD5770 for my build; hoping the price comes down if nvidia can introduce something to market here shortly that will send the tag down.

How pricey is that HD5770? In lots of places their price went up as the HD5830 went down, so there's surprisingly little margin between them in some places! :eek: Although a second-hand HD4890 is still a better bet :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Overheal wrote: »

4890 is more powerful and can be found cheaper. Only thing you're losing out on is directx 11, which wont come to its prime for years, if ever :rolleyes:

ive looked here and cant find them any cheaper than the 5770 - newegg, tiger, ebay, tomshardware, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Overheal wrote: »
    uhm.... thats a Wireless network card. Not a GPU.

I've earmarked the HD5770 for my build; hoping the price comes down if nvidia can introduce something to market here shortly that will send the tag down.

sorry my bad this is the link
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/227182
    getting mixed up trying to make my rig :)

4890 is more powerful and can be found cheaper. Only thing you're losing out on is directx 11, which wont come to its prime for years, if ever :rolleyes:
    Disagree with you there :P, 5770 overclocked can easily match a 4890 and the 4890 doesnt overclock so well. The 4890 will perform better at resolutions above 1920x1080 with lots of AA however.

DX11 is great, Vista and Windows 7 support it( unlike DX10 being vista only ) and its filtering into a lot of games, i havnt got the full list but i play Dirt 2, Metro 2033 and Bad Company 2 and they all have much better shadows etc. due to DX11 and the performance hit is neglible( Metro 2033 is a hog no matter if you play in DX10 or 11 )

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Disagree with you there :P, 5770 overclocked can easily match a 4890 and the 4890 doesnt overclock so well. The 4890 will perform better at resolutions above 1920x1080 with lots of AA however.

DX11 is great, Vista and Windows 7 support it( unlike DX10 being vista only ) and its filtering into a lot of games, i havnt got the full list but i play Dirt 2, Metro 2033 and Bad Company 2 and they all have much better shadows etc. due to DX11 and the performance hit is neglible( Metro 2033 is a hog no matter if you play in DX10 or 11 )

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5770/30.html

Shadow difference between dx11 and dx10 in those games is so minimal that nobody really cares.

Dirt 2 has noticably better water physics but thats it.

Developers will resist in applying tesselation and **** because their pc games will be console ports, not the other way around as it used to and should be.

DX11 is not going ANYWHERE for the forseeable future until someone puts a pole up devs arses... as well as PC pirates tbh.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5770/30.html

Shadow difference between dx11 and dx10 in those games is so minimal that nobody really cares.

Dirt 2 has noticably better water physics but thats it.

Developers will resist in applying tesselation and **** because their pc games will be console ports, not the other way around as it used to and should be.

DX11 is not going ANYWHERE for the forseeable future until someone puts a pole up devs arses... as well as PC pirates tbh.
    you can clearly see the rubbish shadows in BC2 and metro2033 compared to DX10 or DX9 when playing them.

DX11 allows for multithreaded access to the DirectX pipeline, even DX10 cards can take advantage of it and improve performance. Yes, its upto devs to make use of it and yes we're mostly getting crappy DX9 ports on the PC, but at some stage devs have to prepare for the next gen of consoles and the onyl way to do that is on PC

Advertisement