Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mountain Bike Trails

• 13-07-2010 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi All, have been racking up the miles training for Gaelforce on my roadbike however I really want to try my hand at mountain biking. I heard there was a purpose built trail in Wicklow but I heard it is for experts. Are there any decent track/trails anywhere in the Dublin area???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

There is a waymarked purpose built trail at Ballinastoe Woods which has been designed to be inclusive. As you get better at biking you can do it quicker but it's doable first time on a mountain bike.
    EPICmtb are holding a race in Djouce woods this weekend and there may be a beginner section, at the very least you'll meet other bikers who may point you in the right direction.
    Coillte's website has a recreational section listing their MTB trails.

3 Rock mountain near Sandyford has plenty of trails some of which are easy to find from the fireroads.
    The perimeter of the Phoneix Park would be good to get the hang of the bike if you have not used a mountain bike before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You'll find some useful information here http://www.mbi.ie.

As Peter says - the Phoenix Park is a great place to get used to riding offroad - try around they Khyber Road and the Furry Glen to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

mockler007 was arranging spins around the Phoenix Park a while back......
    Twas on a Wednesday and Sunday, me thinks.
    Not sure if this is still happening though.

See post at:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055858078

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭bubble_wrap

i go up the Phoenix park a lot, usually do a few laps around the furry glen, cut across to the popes cross then down the magazine forts, then up by the cricket pitch and around again, a mixture of trails and road, your welcome to tag along, its fairly handy and good for learning and getting to grips with the bike!

Depending on time it can be anything from 2 laps - 10 laps, bring a helmet (i don't but im reckless!!), you also need fluids and some fig rolls :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 healthygirl

Thanks for the info guys. Looking at a Trek 4500, any recommendations???

• Advertisement

hmm personally i would go full suspension, maybe try and pick up a 2nd hand XC one, your ass will appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

...got a trek 4500 a few weeks ago...had it up in balinistoe earlier this week....well able for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Perfect choice as a first mtb.
    hmm personally i would go full suspension, maybe try and pick up a 2nd hand XC one, your ass will appreciate it!
    Stand up more.

Morgan wrote: »
    Perfect choice as a first mtb.

Stand up more.

hmm personally i don't agree with you and think the components on the Trek are rubbish but each to their own, i believe in doing things right though, saves money in the long run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Most people would say you are best learning the basics on a hardtail, even a second hand full sus bike will be quite expensive for a beginner looking to sample the sport and far more than they need. Not being comfortable on a hard tail either means your technique is wrong or you should swap out the tyres.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Most people would say you are best learning the basics on a hardtail, even a second hand full sus bike will be quite expensive for a beginner looking to sample the sport and far more than they need. Not being comfortable on a hard tail either means your technique is wrong or you should swap out the tyres.

You may have a point, maybe i have just forgotten but one things for sure, having a 20 min spin on my mates hardtail a while back i couldnt wait to get back on my machine,impossible to be comfortable onn it, granted mine is fairly high end carbon bike but still....id never go back hardtail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

For your first bike get a good second hand hardtail, none of this starting out on a full sus bull****.

You'll learn quicker on a hardtail and then be able to transfer those skills over to a full sus in a year or two. If you look at all the best pro's and top Irish riders they all started on hardtails.

Also the track in ballinastoe is do-able for beginners if you take your time, none of the trails in Ireland are expert level though they can get very technical.

My suggestion be an all round hardtail frame with a single ring up front, nine out back and a pike or something similar up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

hmm personally i don't agree with you and think the components on the Trek are rubbish but each to their own, i believe in doing things right though, saves money in the long run!

believe me, Morgan knows his stuff on mtbs.... believe me... ;)

Advertisement