Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belfast 24 hour Event

• 13-07-2010 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Anyone signing up/thinking of signing up for this?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hopefully one day soon I'll do a 24 hour race, but there isn't a chance in hell I'd be anywhere near ready for a 24 hour race by August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

best of luck to any1doin this on fri.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

One day, one day.
    Maybe next year, or more likely the one after that.

Good luck to anyone brave enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

+1 on the Good luck to anyone taking part in the 24-hr. Would love to be doing it but the timing just didn't suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Wounded knee- if you have any advice to share with innocent gullible novice runners taking part , please feel free to advise or throw information our way.:)

• Advertisement

Get as much sleep as you can on Wednesday & Thursday night. On race day don't get caught up in what anyone else is doing and just run at your own pace. Forget about distance and just try to stay on your feet and keep moving forward for as long as possible.
    Little and often with the food and same with fluids. Any of your usual problems will be magnified so be over prepared if you suffer from chaffing for example. Warm clothing for night time and make sure to pack a hat & gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

start really slowly, and when you can't keep that up any more keep going as fast as you can. You won't recover from going too fast, but its easy to recover from going too slow (not that you will, I guarantee).

Don't stop... keep moving forward relentlessly no matter what, and no matter how fast or slow... just keep going. It'll be more of a mental than physical effort, so prepare yourself mentally for that.

Use the fact that its a race to keep yourself motivated... work out what you need to do to stay in front of the runners behind, and catch the runners ahead.

Keep eating, keep drinking. Walk whilst doing so.

Thats great lads. Wouldnt have though about hat and gloves but it was such a bad night last night I can see how these would be vital during the night.
    Will keep putting one foot in front of the other until I can no longer stay vertical and then bore you even more when we get back with the details.;)
    Thanks again for all the support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck hot2trot. Look forward to the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Amazing thing to attempt. Best of luck with it.
    I take it we won't be seeing you in Dingle so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Thats great lads. Wouldnt have though about hat and gloves but it was such a bad night last night I can see how these would be vital during the night.
    Will keep putting one foot in front of the other until I can no longer stay vertical and then bore you even more when we get back with the details.;)
    Thanks again for all the support.
    Best of luck H2T. Would love to do something like this myself someday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck hot2trot. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Good luck H2T. Look forward to the race report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Hope all goes well Hottotrot tomorrow and more importantly on Saturday ;)

To add to the good advice from the guys above I'd make sure that your crew are well aware of your feeding alternatives if the food does not go to plan, and also be aware of the alternative gear that you have for different weather conditions, or change for comfort - should save you having to rummage through gear bag in the middle of the night when you should be racing!!

Best of luck.

BBC1 will be showing the start and finish of this race and possibly some updates.

I'm chomping at the bit knowing this race is on. Running is hard but not running is harder :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Running is hard but not running is harder :D

wanted to do this aswell,but mrs um1 put the foot down:mad:,guess i prefer lurvin to runnin(though i cant last 4 24hrs)...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Just got word from Ultraman1 that Hot to trot has passed the 100k point at 11am. Think she's third place woman at the moment

Thomas Maguire is leading the race

Cant find any live feeds for the results unfortunately.

Yeah there's not a lot of info available but have heard Hot to Trot is running really well.

Thomas Maguire is leading with 151.6K after 17hrs and Eddie Gallen is in second place with 144K.

Don't think locteau is running as haven't heard his name mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Don't think locteau is running as haven't heard his name mentioned.

Seb is injured. Think he was pacing 4h in Longford and is looking for someone to take his place in the Longford thread.

• Advertisement

Aimman wrote: »
    Just got word from Ultraman1 that Hot to trot has passed the 100k point at 11am.
    Awesome. What a woman.

Awesome. What a woman.

What a woman is right! I heard she was in a sprint finish for 2nd place and I don't have the final result it was that close.

No surprises in the men's race with Thomas Maguire finishing 1st with 203K and Eddie Gallen finishing 2nd with 190K. Both runners did just enough to hold onto first and second place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Congrats H2T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭a123

Well done H2T.

Brilliant stuff from H2T. Fantastic running and I hope she got second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Amazing woman. Congrats hot to trot.
    What was her final distance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

Well done to everyone who took part. These things are never easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done all. Any link to results?

Haven't seen the results but did hear that the sprint finish got H2T 2nd place by 0.2 miles. Total distance 84.52 miles (to be confirmed).

• Advertisement

Any link to the confirmed results of this race?

And hopefully H2T, as she is now known, can give a race report.

A brief race report is available from Ultrarunningireland here with a link to a BBC news story. Also mentions that full results will be posted when available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

results are up....well done to all who competed

http://www.niathletics.org/filestore/default.asp?itemId=500&Id=679&va=0

I am devastated. I have just spent the last 2 hours doing my race report and it got lost in a flash when my finger must have hit a stray key on the keyboard.
    :(
    So , will do another one later . Probably just as well as I think i was reliving it and reminiscing for the first time since I stepped off the track and it was probably going to bore you to death. Will do a shorter version.
    Is there another way to write it and put a link or something up? Id be afraid the same thing would happen again later.:confused:

It was 84.54 miles for us in the end . If you arent inteseted in reading the unabridged version. By us- I mean Yvonne and I . Couldnt havent done it without her.

Great result and sounds like you finished with lots of energy. Hope you plan on taking it easy for the next week or two.

Legs feel fine today. Back to normal. I would have thought that it would take far longer on the muscles. The blisters are still struggling though, and the feet are a bit swollen. So that will keep me quiet for a while. WIll do report later and send it to someone who knows how to put it up. Not going to risk losing it again on a reply post.

Thanks for all the congrats:o
    So who is up for it for next year?

• Advertisement

So who is up for it for next year?

Let me read your race report first!

The blisters are still struggling though, and the feet are a bit swollen.
    How are the feet and lower legs? Might be worth mentioning that my feet started to swell up quite a lot the day after my first 24-hr race and it was almost 2 weeks before the swelling went down.

Thats is VERY reassuring indeed. The swelling is almost gone in the feet this morning. Legs have been grand since the 2nd day. its mainly the toenails that are annoying. I tried to swim yesterday but I though the big nails were going to be pulled off . I strapped them on today and will try again later.:)
    I tend to go on a bit( big bit) so not sure where to put my race report. I spent hours doing ith the other day and it just disapperaed. Is there somewhere I could paste a word document or where should I put it?

Looking forward to reading it. You could attach it here, or save it as a html page, and put it up somewhere on the web (I can host it for you if you want - pm me), or just paste it into a post.

What I want to know is:
    1) Did you keep running for the full 24 hours?
    2) What did you eat/drink?
    3) Did you have a support crew?
    4) Did you think of giving up at any (many?) points?
    5) When did you finally realize you were going to make it through the full 24 hours?
    6) How are you going to top this one?!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

I had no idea this was around a track - I had visions of runners running through Belfast city centre and docks etc for 24hours

Looking forward to seeing the full report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Well done H2T. An excellent run. You should be very proud.

Looking forward to the report.

Mick . You were part of the reason I took this on. I was very impressed with your running and what you said to me after I finished mine. People can often make throw away remarks or small talk and dont realise how much of an impact they can make in other peoples lives. One of the little chants I said to myself over and over with each foot fall as I ran around was : Mick- Rice- says-that- I -can- do -this.
    I remember laughing at the time thinking you would have no idea that you had even featured in belfast. Even if it was just in my psyche.:D
    So thanks Mick;)

Report on the way via Krusty. PUt on the kettle and visit the loo first. IT is very long. Well , it was a loooong way and am not sure where I want to shorten it first. It is still too emotional and my memory of the times are erratic without lap times as references.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

My gosh - what can I say to that?

If I was of any help at all, I'm so happy. Ultrarunning is such a tough sport that I suppose we draw our inspiration from unlikely sources.

Don't shorten the report too much. A stellar run deserves to be recorded in all it's glorious detail.

Report on the way via Krusty. PUt on the kettle and visit the loo first. IT is very long. Well , it was a loooong way and am not sure where I want to shorten it first. It is still too emotional and my memory of the times are erratic without lap times as references.

Whatever you do, don't shorten it. Or if you do, still give us the option of reading the long version. Emotional is good, and the exact details on lap times don't matter that much.

exact details of lap times I dont have. I dont have a memory that keeps a log of 338 laps!I sent it to Krusty so he will sort it out for me.

Thanks MIck. HOpe you dont have a big red embarrassed head on you now. Best of luck and continued success in your running

I believe the connemara 100 is on this weekend. I coudnt get information on this earlier when I looked. So plese put up reports and finishing times and details on the website , apart from information on how to enter.
    This is an awesome event but even though I would love to have a go at it sometimes , I wouldnt have the support crew..but may I might by the time I would be ready for it.
    Krusty would laugh as speedwork is a bit more appealing now , in the hope that i might shorten a run by a few hours.

Here it is, unabridged, and unedited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Here it is, unabridged, and unedited.

Wow, inspirational. respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭a123

She also has a front page spot on runireland, link to article here you got to it before me Krustyclown, my internet connection is playing up tonight!

It is a great read, I also didn't shorten it, it was a long race it deserves a long report :D

http://www.niathletics.org/news/default.asp?ID=1918&itemId=219&topicId=&va=0

here are the photos of the event if anyone wants to see the set up there,

A fantastic read. Every word a gem. Thanks Finn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement