Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belfast 24 hour Event

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Wow, absolutely amazing. Well done Finn!! Such an achievement :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

A great read, thanks for putting it together & congratulations on a great achievement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

WOW!
    Riveting stuff, great read. Congratulations, that's a tremendous achievement!
    Right now I'm thinking how I could fit this into my calendar next year ...

Oh, and I'd need a crew ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Thanks folks. Go on TFB you know you want to :D. It has to be easier than a straight distance event as you can walk and rest when you want/need to , so it makes it easier to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You didn't answer three of my question. :D
    1) Did you ever think of quitting?
    2) When did you realize that you were going to make it?
    3) How are you going to top this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Congratulations hot to trot, great read and fantastic consistent running by the sound of it.

I've purposely stayed away from ultras this year but reading accounts like yours has me chomping at the bit to get back. I particularly enjoyed your take on others running styles and I think it shows that in ultra running there's much more than style and technique.

Determination and desire play a huge part, two qualitys you obviously possess in barrel loads. Once again, very well done.

Thanks folks. Go on TFB you know you want to :D. It has to be easier than a straight distance event as you can walk and rest when you want/need to , so it makes it easier to do.

I know I want to - that, and a dozen other races!

Not sure that makes it easier. It makes it easy to quit without dropping out of the race and I'm not convinced this is an advantage! Oh, and you can walk in a 50 miler as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

A really great report - I felt like I was there at the track with you. I suspect this is only the beginning for you and that you'll run and enjoy many more races. Congratulations again.

You didn't answer three of my question. :D
    1) Did you ever think of quitting?
    2) When did you realize that you were going to make it?
    3) How are you going to top this one?

Sorry Krusty

1 No
    2 After the first mile when my calf muscle didn't revolt.
    3 More miles at it next year
    :D

• Advertisement

3 More miles at it next year
    :D
    A legend is born. :D

Haha. Answer 3: more miles next year. Just in case you quote me in a years time.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Respect, amazing performance!
    Brilliant race report, I really enjoyed reading it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Brilliant race report there H2T.
    It looks like Mick Rice isn't the only inspirational figure here.

I think there could be people running ultras saying to themselves "If HotToTrot says that I can do it then I can do it!"

It was a truly memorable experience and I do think that it is worth doing once in your life, even if it is just one time. Truly if I can do it , you can too. You need to challenge yourself,step outside your comfort zone and really learn what you are made of. The timed event suited me as everyone was in the same boat. It can be tough finishing hours behind other people in events but this time- it was up to each individual to decide what and how much he could take.
    Ordinary people doing extraordinary things. We have no idea what we are capable of because we set ourselves limits that are way below what is possible.Start small and build up. And keep building and keep going . Never give up .
    It is 2 years and three months since I started ...walk 4 mins run 1 minute. repeat x4.
    I'm not finished yet.
    Anything and everything is possible. You only have to want it enough.
    Life is short. Get out there and get going. How do you know what you are capable of if you dont keep going until you have absolutely nothing left to give?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

A tremendous achievement and a great read. Well done.

• Advertisement

It was a truly memorable experience and I do think that it is worth doing once in your life, even if it is just one time. Truly if I can do it , you can too. You need to challenge yourself,step outside your comfort zone and really learn what you are made of. The timed event suited me as everyone was in the same boat. It can be tough finishing hours behind other people in events but this time- it was up to each individual to decide what and how much he could take.
    Ordinary people doing extraordinary things. We have no idea what we are capable of because we set ourselves limits that are way below what is possible.Start small and build up. And keep building and keep going . Never give up .
    It is 2 years and three months since I started ...walk 4 mins run 1 minute. repeat x4.
    I'm not finished yet.
    Anything and everything is possible. You only have to want it enough.
    Life is short. Get out there and get going. How do you know what you are capable of if you dont keep going until you have absolutely nothing left to give?

That's the most inspirational post I've read in a very long time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Oh, and I'd need a crew ...
    go on then. I can shout abuse at you for 24 hours but there will be no quitting on my watch.

LInky things dont seem to work but if anyone in interested in having a look at the 12 minute video of this event it is on youtube.
    Just search for Energia Belfast 24 hour race and you should get it.
    What a motley crew we look. Im sure next year will be different with experienced ultra runners like yourselves having a go and really stretching out the records.

LInky things dont seem to work but if anyone in interested in having a look at the 12 minute video of this event it is on youtube.
    Just search for Energia Belfast 24 hour race and you should get it.
    What a motley crew we look. Im sure next year will be different with experienced ultra runners like yourselves having a go and really stretching out the records.

No need to link it, you can embed it straight into here:

Really enjoyed that, and great the see the Duracell Bunny in action! The breadth of the challenge really hits home when you see the runners going by the clock at 1:15am, and it's cold, dark, wet and pretty lonely looking out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

That's a nice piece of video and race souvenir.

Was nice to see everyone again. YOu forget the small details and it certainly fires you up to get back training and keep at it .
    Next year will be harder as more will do it and it will be busier on the track. Also there will be more competition as experienced runners and ultrabunnies will take it on. I dont think the womens record of 91 miles will still exist and I'm sure it will be more than the ton next time out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

That was both a great read and a great watch. Really excellent performance. Looks like there was good camaraderie between the participants aswell.... You are a force to be reckoned with, H2T!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

That was a brilliant read hot to trot, what an achievement. I can't imagine how hard physically and mentally it must have been. Amazing stuff!!

Advertisement