Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Knocklyon

Options
  • 13-07-2010 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

We are upping sticks and moving to Knocklyon in 2 weeks time. I know nobody in the area and would love to hear from people who live there who can advise me on how to get involved in the community to get to know people. I would be particularly interested in tennis, Spanish classes, a choir possibly, Irish conversation..I'm open to anything! I'm a 32 yr old mother of an 18 month old little boy. I'd also like to know if there's anything to keep him amused around there! And also is it hard to get a place in the local primary school?
    Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

anyone?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Templeogue tennis club is not too far away and is good
    Lots of golf courses near by
    St Colmcilles is a very good national school and you need to live in the catchment area
    Have no clue about choirs/speaking Irish there is an all irish school as well.
    The community centre seems to run lots of different classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

For the language conversation groups, I can definitely recommend joining the South Dublin County Libraries - there are branches in Tallaght and Ballyroan, depending on what part of Knocklyon you are in. They run conversational language groups during the week for Irish and various languages - I'm not 100% if there's Spanish or not but if not, you could suggest to them that you set one up yourself.

I guess the best way to find out about choirs would be to ask in the local church - even if you're not religious, a lot of the time singers in church choirs would be in other choirs too.

There are evening classes in the VEC secondary school in the autumn / winter. The gorgeous Marlay Park has public tennis courts http://www.dlrcoco.ie/Parks/marlay_information.html .

Best of luck with the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Eggy2010

Hey kinda had a nose in on this thread as I will be moving to Knocklyon too in the next month or so :) lotsa info to give me some food for thought. also sorry to butt in on someone elses post but would anyone be able to recommend a good GP in the area? I have a great one at the mo but he's is based in sutton :( and if I am going to be living in Knocklyon it makes sense to have someone local...(sorry to the original poster for hijacking the thread a bit!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I've heard good things about:
    Harris Dr Richard M.B.MICGP

The Family Medicine Centre 4, Ballyroan Road,
    Templeogue, Dublin 16
    Phone +353 1 4946498

And personally have had good experiences with
    Dr. Pamela Mangal

Knocklyon Avenue,
    Templeogue,
    Dublin 16,
    Ireland
    494 5795

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Eggy2010

Tragedy wrote: »
    I've heard good things about:

And personally have had good experiences with

Thanks so much :)
    It's hard enough moving to a different place, and even harder to find a good doc-much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Holiers

There is a playgroup in Ballyroan Library on a Friday morning at 10 or half ten during school term. Ideal for an 18 month old.

There may also be one in Knocklyon itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

There's many choirs in Knocklyon's church. I'm involved with the Youth Gospel choir (teenagers) and the children's choir (kids) but there's two adult choirs which would be worth looking into also.

If you're interested in music classes for your kid my Mom runs music classes in the Iona centre. http://kindermusikwithmalia.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Supergalaxy

I know it is a long way off but if you are considering St. Colmcille's community school you need to enrol your child asap. Parent's have put their child's name's down once they are born!

+1 I'm in 6th year there and in the office there's a list up to 2023 for new pupils!

I was very lucky to get in there, even though I live very near to it. We were late to the list and I was due to start in Templeogue College a good half hour walk away. Books bought, uniform bought and then I got into Colmcilles 3 days before the start of school. :) Best luck I've even had. It's a fantastic school. Great for music and sport. Plus they topped the league tables last year!

• Advertisement

higgz wrote: »
    +1 I'm in 6th year there and in the office there's a list up to 2023 for new pupils!

I was very lucky to get in there, even though I live very near to it. We were late to the list and I was due to start in Templeogue College a good half hour walk away. Books bought, uniform bought and then I got into Colmcilles 3 days before the start of school. :) Best luck I've even had. It's a fantastic school. Great for music and sport. Plus they topped the league tables last year!

Are you in the senior school - what is it like academically- did you come through the junior school?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As a community, Knocklyon is actually very good, very connected. Knocklyon was effectively established in the late 70s and early 80s when a number of estates were built. The children of these people have continually grown up and moved back to Knocklyon such that the wider Knocklyon, Ballyroan and Firhouse areas are largely made up of people who grew up together and are involved in the community.

Obviously this has caused problems with the schools, where everyone wants their child to attend the same primary school that they did and consequently move into the secondary school.

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Are you in the senior school - what is it like academically- did you come through the junior school?

Academically both schools are great. The primary school is one of the largest in the country and it's going to be demolished and re-built next year. It will be by far the best equipped school in the country when the new 3 story building is complete. A Super school if there ever was one in Ireland!

The secondary school is equally good academically. It was only built in 2000 so it's also well equipped and we recently launched the 100mb broadband in the school. Every classroom has a projector and there's well over 100 PCs in the school plus a good 50 laptops. Subjects like tech graphics use them and they really give students the edge for working with computers later in life. The results are always great in the Leaving Cert. This year I knew well over 10 people (out of the 120 in the year) who received well over 500 points and one girl scored 600.

I would say that next year's results will be even better. There's at least 5 of my year who are aiming for 600 (including myself :o) and the general atmosphere of the year, and of the school, is always positive. Most teachers are very supportive and they've recently started to post learning materials (docs, pdfs etc) onto the schools website for students to view. It's very handy plus with many teachers working off powerpoint there's less time writing on the board.

higgz wrote: »
    Academically both schools are great. The primary school is one of the largest in the country and it's going to be demolished and re-built next year. It will be by far the best equipped school in the country when the new 3 story building is complete. A Super school if there ever was one in Ireland!

The secondary school is equally good academically. It was only built in 2000 so it's also well equipped and we recently launched the 100mb broadband in the school. Every classroom has a projector and there's well over 100 PCs in the school plus a good 50 laptops. Subjects like tech graphics use them and they really give students the edge for working with computers later in life. The results are always great in the Leaving Cert. This year I knew well over 10 people (out of the 120 in the year) who received well over 500 points and one girl scored 600.

I would say that next year's results will be even better. There's at least 5 of my year who are aiming for 600 (including myself :o) and the general atmosphere of the year, and of the school, is always positive. Most teachers are very supportive and they've recently started to post learning materials (docs, pdfs etc) onto the schools website for students to view. It's very handy plus with many teachers working off powerpoint there's less time writing on the board.

My daughter is in the Junior School and I agree it is great but never really heard that much about the Senior school and you are told your chances of getting in are slim. Was not sure how good it was results wise so never really brought it into our consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Sorry to jump in here,but i am looking to live here too and wanted to know if there is any flooding issues in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Look at http://floodmap.ie for previous flood events

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

thanks.

Advertisement