Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scalloped trim for shed side - how? how much?

• 13-07-2010 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

I've just put a new shed. Plans are to paint it blue and pretty it up as part of the garden renovations.

The shed is small and cheap and doesn't have a great finish. Ideally what I would like to do is attach a scalloped trim along the edge (where the roof finishes so I don't have felt hanging down). The length of the trim would be approximately six foot and I would like to have a scalloped edge where the scallops are about 9 inches - 12 inches wide.

Is this difficult to do? Is it possible to get it done professionally? OR would I be laughed out of the place? If so how much would it cost?

Am very clueless about this. Thanks HE.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you put a trim on the edge of the roof, when the rain flows down the roof it will land on the edge of the trim and destroy it. I think you would need to put a strip of timber along the sides of the shed and screw your strip of trim to that, so it is just under the edge. Water will probably still go down the face but that is not so much of a problem as the edges constantly getting wet.

If you have a hand held jig saw it would not be too difficult to cut a scalloped shape from marine ply. You would then need to seal it all over before putting it up to make sure it is as waterproof as possible. If you don't have a jigsaw (and a cheap one that would do the job would be about €30) you will have to get someone to do it for you, a handyman would probably be a better bet than a carpenter.

Edit: thinking about it, it would probably be better to get a length of timber instead of ply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Thanks looksee, Very, very good point at the trim getting water logged and destroyed.

The idea of the strip of timber either side is a great one! Thanks so much.

I would be tempted to give it a go myself. I'm relatively handy at diy and would love to try something like this. Will post a few pictures when it gets done.

Advertisement