Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

outboard engine for boat

• 13-07-2010 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

does anyone know where i can get an outboard engine for a boat cheap::was just onto ivors in the westside he said he would gimme one thats not workin for a 100 euro but dunno where to start any advise would be helpfull also if anyone has one for sale lemme know..

galway area ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi, What Hp are you looking for.
    What type long shaft or short shaft, electric start or pull start,with power tilt and trim or not.

These few things will help in your search,as for buying a cheep engine you would more than likely be asking for trouble and would have to be good with your hands to keep it going.If this is going to be the main engine on the boat you should try and spend as much as you can on it as your life may depend on it. Best thing to do is buy from a dealer and ask for a warranty as they will have done a full service before they let it go out.
    If you do find a second hand engine be sure to put a new impeller in it, they are cheep to buy but when they fail they can reck the engine.
    Hope this helps a bit, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

fergal.b wrote: »
    Hi, What Hp are you looking for.
    What type long shaft or short shaft, electric start or pull start,with power tilt and trim or not.

These few things will help in your search,as for buying a cheep engine you would more than likely be asking for trouble and would have to be good with your hands to keep it going.If this is going to be the main engine on the boat you should try and spend as much as you can on it as your life may depend on it. Best thing to do is buy from a dealer and ask for a warranty as they will have done a full service before they let it go out.
    If you do find a second hand engine be sure to put a new impeller in it, they are cheep to buy but when they fail they can reck the engine.
    Hope this helps a bit, :)
    thanks fergal i know what you are saying,but money is the obstical course here,i can buy the one for 100 euro and stick a briggs and stratton engine on it instead of the original one which i know will not start,i have a 3hp lawn mower engine i think i will stick it on,just hope it works out fine,it's gotta be long shaft

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

A but you can't beat the real thing, this is one I rebuilt last year for the boat I was building and a little vid of her in action.
    DSC00350.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoP_2AERUQo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭murphym7

DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    thanks fergal i know what you are saying,but money is the obstical course here,i can buy the one for 100 euro and stick a briggs and stratton engine on it instead of the original one which i know will not start,i have a 3hp lawn mower engine i think i will stick it on,just hope it works out fine,it's gotta be long shaft

I don't want to sound preachy here but either buy a suitable outboard or don't bother at all. Just because you can push a boat along with a lawnmower engine does not mean you should.

There are enough ways to get in trouble on the water without heading out in a boat powered by a lawnmower engine - take some water over the stern and its all over, these engines are not meant for water - also do you not plan on having to go astern ever?

Dangerous cowboy stuff this FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

murphym7 wrote: »
    I don't want to sound preachy here but either buy a suitable outboard or don't bother at all. Just because you can push a boat along with a lawnmower engine does not mean you should.

There are enough ways to get in trouble on the water without heading out in a boat powered by a lawnmower engine - take some water over the stern and its all over, these engines are not meant for water - also do you not plan on having to go astern ever?

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gu10

murphym7 wrote: »

ah now the only thing that could really go wrong is if it was too heavy or not mounted properly. b&s engines are very reliable, mass produced and air cooled so you won't be pumping any filthy seawater through it. normal outboards are ridiculously expensive, they are expensive because people will pay it, for most people an outboard is recreational spending so they can be overpriced

a normal 8hp petrol engine you wouldn't pay more than a few 100 for if it was new but an outboard you wouldnt get for less than 1k. sometimes you just have to step outside the realm of CE-marked engines and fully qualified mechanics and come up with something yourself

it wouldn't be quite as good as a proper outboard but it's recession after all. i'd like to see what the OP can come up with using a lawnmower engine. people make their own boats from scratch and take them out to sea, an engine like this is hardly unheard of. sitting on your armchair at home and saying 'omg thats too dangerous! go buy an expensive unit from a factory like an obedient tax-paying citizen' won't get you anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

gu10 wrote: »
    a normal 8hp petrol engine you wouldn't pay more than a few 100 for if it was new but an outboard you wouldnt get for less than 1k.

Outboard also includes propulsion system, gearbox, and cooling system - air cooled is not a good idea for an engine that may be running for several hours and not moving very fast.
    Saying that outboards are overpriced because they're a leisure item is rubbish. It's all great with a lawnmower engine until the lifeboat has to tow you in or fish you out of the water :rolleyes:

I have to agree, For the time and effort you put into building this motor you could pick up one like this and know it will do the job it was designed to do.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/1265139

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gu10

Outboard also includes propulsion system, gearbox, and cooling system - air cooled is not a good idea for an engine that may be running for several hours and not moving very fast.
    Saying that outboards are overpriced because they're a leisure item is rubbish. It's all great with a lawnmower engine until the lifeboat has to tow you in or fish you out of the water :rolleyes:

the same engines are used to make generators that don't move at all so its unlikely to overheat. b&s even makes an air-cooled outboard themselves
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Outboard-Motor-5-HP-4-Cycle-Briggs-Stratton-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b2290a3aQQitemZ140427987514QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

not too horribly expensive either but thats in the states where petrol engines are a good bit cheaper. hmm I wonder if it would fit in a suitcase..

I have to agree, For the time and effort you put into building this motor you could pick up one like this and know it will do the job it was designed to do.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/1265139

thanks fergal but it won't work

Not recommended for sea

Neither is a lawnmower. :D

Neither is a lawnmower. :D

yeah i know lol!! on a serious note anyone out there got a cheap outboard engine

Advertisement