Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking For A Graphics Card Need Help ? For Shuttle Htpc

Options
  • 13-07-2010 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hello I've Built Shuttle Htpc

4 Gig Ram.

2.70 Ghz Dual Core Processor.

Now I need one last thing for it.

I need a Silent Graphics Card with a No Fan

I would like a Heat Sink on it instead of a fan.

1 Gig Graphics want it for playing videos only not gaming.

Also it must have Hdmi connect.

If anyone can help that would be great having a Lot of bother getting one as I don't know much about Graphics Cards

I want it Silent And Deadly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Will a full size graphics card fit?

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2975972/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-4650-ultimate-1.html

I managed to get a 512MB 4650 for €40 a few weeks ago for a friend (not passive though). This crowd charge €30 shipping per order though so not worth it for a single item, but You may find a passively cooled one at a better price than above on some other store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

Yep it will take a full size graphics card but want 1080p graphics from it cause the tv I'll be running with is 1080p.

Ive heard you can buy them without fans now and its just a heat sink. so its silent as a mouse.

Also only want it for films not games....

Built the whole shuttle htpc for 250.

I Built it spent the money I want it too be the best of the best the ultimate shuttle pc

Need advice What Is the best make.

Cheers PogMoThoin wow cool site are they trust worthy unlike Komplett.

Whats the best Make I should go for.....

Give me a list of 5 tops make and I'll take it from there and pick one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Something like this should be just fine (and nice and cheap).

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1756786

Don't need a 1Gb model for HD playback, trust me it wouldn't know what to do with the extra 512MB memory :)

Cheers Marco but I can't stress how much I want a 1 gig want too play mkv files of short movies Ive made myself.

Whats the best make I should go for as Im not sure which too go for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Cheers Marco but I can't stress how much I want a 1 gig want too play mkv files of short movies Ive made myself.

Whats the best make I should go for as Im not sure which too go for.
    seriously Marco is right, theres absolutely 0( and i cant stress that enough ) need for a 1Gig card for HD playback, extra vram( in the context of current cards ) is only required for gaming and even at that very very few games take advantage of it, mostly games that can have large view distances( GTA IV ) or actually support extremely high res textures( texture mods for Fallout 3 etc )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If You can find a 512MB passive 4650 for around €45-50, buy it, it'll even play modern games. 1GB one I linked to above was the only passive one I could find

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Few passive cards knocking around on Pixmania as well a silent 5450 is about 50 quid.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4837116/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-5450-hdmi-1-gb.html

Brand wise can't go wrong with Asus, Sapphire or XFX to name but three.

If you don't intend on any gaming at all consider a HD4350, HD4550 or HD5450 for HD playback. For a bit of light gaming as well cards like the HD4650, HD4670, 5670 are options seems to be quite difficult to come across reasonably priced fanless versions of these though.

Found this Sapphire 4670 on amazon as well, 60 sterling

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-HD4670-512MB-Ultimate-Graphics/dp/B001PA6WEM/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1279061837&sr=8-1-fkmr1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

When measuring the performance of a video card RAM is largely irrelevant in both gaming and video decoding.

Get a HD5450 if you intend to watch any interlaced content. Silent and only €53 on komplett with free delivery. Very low wattage which will save you on your electricity bills down the line :pac:

Advertisement