Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roger Waters and David Gilmour Reunion

Options
  • 13-07-2010 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭

I wonder if this could be the start of something...

100712-waters-gilmour-hmed.grid-6x2.jpg
    For the first time in five years, the two driving forces behind Pink Floyd, Roger Waters and David Gilmour, reunited onstage at a benefit in England over the weekend. The unannounced team-up went down before the 200 attendees of the Hoping Foundation benefit in Oxfordshire, which raised money for young Palestinian refugees.

It would be fantastic if Gilmour made a few cameo appearances on Waters' upcoming Wall tour like Nick Mason did on his DSOTM tour.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

That would be amazing alright.

Unless they particularly had a great time though I can't imagine it happening. I'd say that was just because it was a charity gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I remember the Live 8 reunion, although I also remember them not being too civil to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I wouldnt hold my breath.

Hopefully they mellowed with age and they do a few shows...

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

Gilmour and Waters playing together would be great, but ultimately just a sentimental exercise. It would be far more meaningful if they wrote a few more great songs together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Just read this on facebook (Roger Waters The Wall)... :eek: (I think I am psychic ;))
    So here's what happened. Last year, 'The Hoping Foundation' a charity that supports Palestinian refugee kids, (www.hopingfoundation.org) put on a fund raiser at Ronnie Scott's Club in London, the idea of which was to raise money by auctioning karaoke performances by various celebrities. David was there as a supporter and was moved to perform an impromptu rendition of George Gershwin's 'Summertime?' which he performed aided and abetted by supermodel Kate Moss.

In the wake of that evening, someone, I think it was David himself, came up with this 'Wouldn't it be funny', idea. What if he (David that is) were to sing the old Teddy Bears song 'To Know Him Is To Love Him' with me (Roger that is), what with us having been so famously at each other's throats for years and years. Get it!!!! Anyway he E-mailed me with this suggestion and I loved it, so then it was just a question of juggling dates and deciding to do 'Wish You Were Here' and 'Comfortably Numb' to round out our little set. Or so I thought, until he sent me a number of very musical and eloquent demos of how we could do the song in two-part harmony. I listened with a sinking heart, knowing that David, with his superior vocal skills, could sing either part standing on his head, whilst I would have to search for a different key and then struggle through hours and hours of routining a performance that lay way outside my vocal comfort zone. To my eternal shame I bottled out and told Dave I would happily do 'Wish You Were Here' and 'C. Numb', but that 'To Know him is to Love him' was beyond me.

Some weeks passed with David cajoling me from time to time, telling me how easy it would be, but I clung resolutely to my fear of failure until one day he made one final entreaty. I quote "If you do 'To Know Him Is To Love Him' for The Hoping Foundation Gig, I'll come and do 'C. Numb' on one of your Wall shows". Well! You could have knocked me down with a feather. How ****ing cool! I was blown away. How could I refuse such an offer. I couldn't, there was no way. Generosity trumped fear. And so explaining that I would probably be ****e, but if he didn't mind I didn't, I agreed and the rest is history. We did it, and it was ****ing great. End of story. Or possibly beginning.

Roger

PS. Just heard from David, he will decide in due course which gig he wants to do, it will be a surprise!

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

^

That's awesome, but unfortunately I can't imagine him choosing the Dublin gig for such a special event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

The reunion happened tonight in London. Nick Mason joined them also.

I'm saddened that it didn't happen in Dublin but it was always going to be in London.

Linky

296965592.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1305244184&Signature=qTfF85cpjLXK%2Fe%2BqFvqmCI6Gxdk%3D

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

kenon wrote: »
    The reunion happened tonight in London. Nick Mason joined them also.

I'm saddened that it didn't happen in Dublin but it was always going to be in London.

Linky

296965592.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1305244184&Signature=qTfF85cpjLXK%2Fe%2BqFvqmCI6Gxdk%3D

Wow.... That is just something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Wow.... That is just something else

bloody waiting on their un-released songs.....anyone hear what and when?

Still have my Pink Floyd "canceled" ticket from the 80's.(think the rumour at the time was low sales but ya don't know)...wonder if it could be still valid if they every play here?:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Cicero wrote: »
    bloody waiting on their un-released songs.....anyone hear what and when?

the first batch, can be preordered from amazon & probably others, release is November 2011

Here's the line up for DSOTM/WYWH Immersion sets:

The Dark Side Of The Moon (3CD & 3DVD Box Set)

Disc 1 - The Dark Side Of The Moon Digitally Remastered By James Guthrie 2011
    Speak To Me
    Breathe
    On The Run
    Time
    The Great Gig In The Sky
    Money
    Us And Them
    Any Colour You Like
    Brain Damage
    Eclipse

Disc 2 - The Dark Side Of The Moon performed live at Wembley in 1974 (2011 Mix And Previously Unreleased)
    Speak To Me
    Breathe
    On The Run
    Time
    The Great Gig In The Sky
    Money
    Us And Them
    Any Colour You Like
    Brain Damage
    Eclipse

Disc 3 - The Dark Side Of The Moon 1972 Early Album Mix Engineered by Alan Parsons (Previously Unreleased)
    Speak To Me
    Breathe
    On The Run
    Time
    The Great Gig In The Sky
    Money
    Us And Them
    Any Colour You Like
    Brain Damage
    Eclipse
    The Hard Way (From 'Household Objects' Project)
    Us And Them, Richard Wright Demo (Previously Unreleased)
    The Travel Sequence, Live From Brighton June 1972 (Previously Unreleased)
    The Mortality Sequence, Live From Brighton June 1972 (Previously Unreleased)
    Any Colour You Like, Live From Brighton June 1972 (Previously Unreleased)
    The Travel Sequence, Studio Recording 1972 (Previously Unreleased)
    Money, Roger Waters' Demo (Previously Unreleased)

Box set includes:
    40 page 27cm x 27cm booklet designed by Storm Thorgerson
    Exclusive photo book edited by Jill Furmanovsky
    27cm x 27cm Exclusive Storm Thorgerson Art Print
    5 x Collectors' Cards featuring art and comments by Storm Thorgerson
    Replica of The Dark Side Of The Moon Tour Ticket
    Replica of The Dark Side Of The Moon Backstage Pass
    Scarf
    3 x Black marbles
    9 x Coasters (unique to this box) featuring early Storm Thorgerson design sketches
    12 page credits booklet

DVD 1 - All Audio:
    The Dark Side Of The Moon, James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps
    The Dark Side Of The Moon, James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps
    The Dark Side Of The Moon, LPCM Stereo mix (as disc 1)
    The Dark Side Of The Moon, Alan Parsons Quad Mix (previously released only on vinyl LP/8 track tape in 1973) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps
    The Dark Side Of The Moon, Alan Parsons Quad Mix (previously released only on vinyl LP/8 track tape in 1973) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps

DVD 2 - ALL AUDIO VISUAL:
    Live In Brighton 1972:
    Careful With That Axe, Eugene (previously unreleased on DVD)
    Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (previously unreleased on DVD)
    The Dark Side Of The Moon, 2003 documentary (25 min EPK)
    Concert Screen Films (60 min total):
    British Tour 1974
    French Tour 1974
    North American Tour 1975
    Screen films play in stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound

DVD 3 - BLURAY, AUDIO+AUDIO VISUAL
    Audio: The Dark Side Of The Moon, James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit
    Audio: The Dark Side Of The Moon, Original stereo mix (1973) mastered in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit
    Audio Visual: Live In Brighton 1972:
    Careful With That Axe, Eugene (previously unreleased on DVD/BluRay)
    Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (previously unreleased on DVD/BluRay)
    Audio Visual: The Dark Side Of The Moon, 2003 documentary (EPK)
    Audio Visual: Concert Screen Films (5.1 Surround Mix):
    British Tour 1974
    French Tour 1974
    North American Tour 1975
    Audio Visual: Concert Screen Films (High Resolution Stereo Mix):
    British Tour 1974
    French Tour 1974
    North American Tour 1975

-
    Wish You Were Here (3CD, 2DVD & Blu-Ray Immersion Box Set)

Disc 1
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part One) (1-5)
    Welcome To The Machine
    Have A Cigar
    Wish You Were Here
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part Two) (6-9)

Disc 2
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-6) Live At Wembley November 1974 (2011 Mix And Previously Unreleased)
    Raving & Drooling Live At Wembley November 1974 (2011 Mix And Previously Unreleased)
    You've Got To Be Crazy Live At Wembley November 1974 (2011 Mix And Previously Unreleased)
    Wine Glasses From The Unreleased 'Household Objects' Project
    Have A Cigar Alternative Version (Previously Unreleased)
    Wish You Were Here Featuring Stephane Grappelli (Previously Unreleased)

Box set Includes:
    40 page 27cm x 27cm booklet designed by Storm Thorgerson
    Exclusive photo book edited by Jill Furmanovsky
    27cm x 27cm Exclusive Storm Thorgerson Art Print
    5 x Collectors' Cards featuring art and comments by Storm Thorgerson
    Replica of Wish You Were Here Tour Ticket
    Replica of Wish You Were Here Backstage Pass
    Scarf
    3 x Clear marbles
    9 x Coasters (unique to this box) featuring early Storm Thorgerson design sketches
    12 page credits booklet

DVD 1 - All Audio:
    Wish You Were Here, James Guthrie 2009 5.1 Surround Mix (Previously Unreleased) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps
    Wish You Were Here, James Guthrie 2009 5.1 Surround Mix (Previously Unreleased) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps
    Wish You Were Here, Original Mix (1975) LPCM stereo
    Wish You Were Here, Quad Mix (Previously Released Only On Vinyl LP/8 Track Tape) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps
    Wish You Were Here, Quad Mix (Previously Released Only On Vinyl LP/8 Track Tape) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps

DVD 2 - Audio Visual
    Concert Screen Films:
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond Intro
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Welcome To The Machine animated clip
    Storm Thorgerson short film
    Concert Screen Films play in stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound

BLURAY
    Audio: Wish You Were Here, James Guthrie 2009 5.1 Surround Mix (previously unreleased) high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit
    Audio: Wish You Were Here, Original stereo mix (1975) mastered in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit
    Concert Screen films:
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond Intro
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Welcome To The Machine animated clip

Probably next year for the next batch ......

Advertisement