Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going rate for new surfboard

Options
  • 13-07-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Anyone know anything about surfboards.ie?
    they have what seem to be very reasonably priced 8' fibreglass and epoxy minimals...

Also how much should I be paying for such a board?
    Been surfing a few times a year on rentals/ loaners. want to get a bit more serious about it now and get a board that i can turn a bit and get out past white water instead of just running straight in with the waves..

All comments/opinions on prices and board selection appreciated.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I wouldn't buy any of their boards.

What are you vitals man?
    Height/weight/fitness and most importantly how often would you get out surfing.

A lot of people here will recommend you get a longboard 9ft+ to increase your wave count and thus learning. In fact so would I...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They are made in China which isn’t known for making the best surfboards in the world but that’s reflected in his prices – saying that I saw a guy out last weekend on a “shallow reef” board and it looked ok he was very happy with it and appeared to be holding up ok. You get what you pay for so if you buy one expect it to get pressure dings and if you knock it off anything expect it to damage easily so you’ll need to fix the odd ding but that’s part of the course. The epoxy board should be stronger than the polyester board, be worth calling them up and arranging to see on. Check some of the other shops and in the likes of 53 deg North they had long boards for an OK price ask…

I’m on the lookout for a long board and shop has one I’d go for except it’s made in China and it’s not reflected in the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Forget that surfboards.ie crap and buy from a local irish shaper.

Ive had 4-5 boards shaped by Mark in powersource surfboards up in leitrim/sligo over the years and he is great to deal with. Cheap, quality blanks and workmanship and he gives good advice and takes time to talk people through the shaping process.

I honestly cant understand people new to surfing buying cheap knockoff boards built in a factory in china at irish prices instead of getting aboard made over here for the same price but with 5x build quality and input into the design so you get exaclty what you want and need.

Glidesurfboards in cork/limerick is another guy i have heard good stuff about if you are not based close to the nw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

When looking at the boards try to find out how light the glass is. The lighter the glass the no responsive the board but they are also more likely to get pressure and break, FCS fin plugs are the most likely to go...

Anyway unless your a pro a decent glass job will offer your board some protection from Irish Breaks and most dings will happen getting in/out of the water

Have to break it to you but most Power Source boards are made Chian now, Mark McGuire shapes under MMD now and license Power Source

http://www.powersourcesurfboards.com/

I dont know what you are trying to say to be honest. MMD/powersource are the exact same label and all his boards are shaped in Leitrim. Last board he made me 2 months ago had the powersource logo on the bottom and MMD on the deck. McGuire designs is another one of his logos he uses.

• Advertisement

rodento wrote: »
    When looking at the boards try to find out how light the glass is. The lighter the glass the no responsive the board but they are also more likely to get pressure and break, FCS fin plugs are the most likely to go...

Anyway unless your a pro a decent glass job will offer your board some protection from Irish Breaks and most dings will happen getting in/out of the water

Less glass = lighter board = better flotation in the water, response has nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

aquaman wrote: »
    Been surfing a few times a year on rentals/ loaners. want to get a bit more serious about it now and get a board that i can turn a bit and get out past white water instead of just running straight in with the waves..

All comments/opinions on prices and board selection appreciated.....

9+ longboard is the best option, buy secondhand if you are starting out or only getting out a few times a year, you'll find used logs on adverts.ie, gumtree.ie, irishsurfer.com, longboardireland.com, secondhandboards.com, ebay.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Had heard a roumour that he was getting boards made in China, shop in bundoran have one for sale that I might have bought so I asked them straight and they told me its from china, so he's getting at least some made there.

What are his prices like for a shaped longboard ball park? I'd get one made here with a good blank and glass job - don't want something made in asia with cheapest lowest quality blank and only half the cloth.

I was just up with Mark over the last two weekends trying out boards and chatting to him about a new one. He is custom making a new board for me and should have it in a couple of weeks. I was in his workshop and he has all the equipment there for making boards. He showed me around all the different equipment and what he does.

Spacehopper be careful about what you say and be sure it is correct as its the reputation of a mans business your messing with if your wrong.

CRenegade wrote: »
    I was just up with Mark over the last two weekends trying out boards and chatting to him about a new one. He is custom making a new board for me and should have it in a couple of weeks. I was in his workshop and he has all the equipment there for making boards. He showed me around all the different equipment and what he does.

Spacehopper be careful about what you say and be sure it is correct as its the reputation of a mans business your messing with if your wrong.

Ask him when you collect the board. Again what's his prices like for a custom longboard?

For the record I know he's a good shaper think he's just getting stock boards made in china to compete with ones brought in by other people.
    I can ordera 9'6 in the UK like this http://www.littlepinkshop.com/shop/elua-makani-6inch-custom-longboard-surfboard-p-240.html bit it's made in china too.

At the end of the day it's a local label on a board so if there is a problem you have somebody to go back to. But still I wouldn't pay full price for a board from asia. I'd love a surf tech but think they are over priced.

Does mark do hand crafted custom shapes these days or are his customs done by a shaping machine

• Advertisement

Does mark do hand crafted custom shapes these days or are his customs done by a shaping machine

I think we may be hi-jacking the original posters thread here!

Anyways I dont know if he still does hand crafted but he does have a shaping machine, i guess this gets the general shape and rest done by hand? I personally wont know loads about it so may be wrong.

Spacehopper: not sure of price of Longboard, defo starting over €500 as My 6'8" fish starts at €445 before add ons.

Makes no difference to the “average Joe” once he uses good blanks and does a good glass job. The machine takes his design, tweaked to suit the customers height, weight, ability where they will surf….. and does the outline shaping. The board still has to be hand finished, fine sanding and rails….

WaxOn use one so does Seven in Kerry

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

if it's handcrafted you want and have a bit of cash to spare what about one of these? http://www.cedarsurfboards.com/

bit pricey but they look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

wow i need to raise my prices, im cheaper than all of them!
    and all handshapes!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    if it's handcrafted you want and have a bit of cash to spare what about one of these? http://www.cedarsurfboards.com/

bit pricey but they look great.

Sweet looking boards would give my left nut for one but I'd be afraid to take it out it'd be in bits in no timed

Sweet looking boards would give my left nut for one but I'd be afraid to take it out it'd be in bits in no timed
    Guess your surfing ...... But we won't go there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

AOR (http://www.aorsurfboards.com) in Kerry also works with Cedar (and other timbers). I've got a 6'6 with a cedar perimeter stringer from him and it's the dogs bollox. Most of my boards are in bits, I took the wax off this board recently and it looks like brand new, couldn't believe it. Surfs like a magic board too. I'd highly recommend him.

I think he's got a cedar fish for sale at the moment too. I know he's got a pile of cedar anyway just waiting to be turned into boards.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

glide wrote: »
    wow i need to raise my prices, im cheaper than all of them!
    and all handshapes!

Really? you have a website?
    Enygma wrote: »
    AOR (http://www.aorsurboards.com) in Kerry also works with Cedar (and other timbers). I've got a 6'6 with a cedar perimeter stringer from him and it's the dogs bollox. Most of my boards are in bits, I took the wax off this board recently and it looks like brand new, couldn't believe it. Surfs like a magic board too. I'd highly recommend him.

I think he's got a cedar fish for sale at the moment too. I know he's got a pile of cedar anyway just waiting to be turned into boards.

His boards look sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Really? you have a website?

yeah here you go.

http://allthingsglide.blogspot.com/
    www.glidesurfboards.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

Got myself a Glide longboard recently, I'm delighted with it.
    Sound man to deal with, and such good value.
    I was literally stunned at how good the board turned out, a real artist, was nearly a shame to wax it........ nearly!!

Paul, I hope to be back for one of your sweet fishs when I can :D

• Advertisement

Had heard a roumour that he was getting boards made in China, shop in bundoran have one for sale that I might have bought so I asked them straight and they told me its from china, so he's getting at least some made there.

What are his prices like for a shaped longboard ball park? I'd get one made here with a good blank and glass job - don't want something made in asia with cheapest lowest quality blank and only half the cloth.

Check his prices on the website.

You are 100% incorrect about the china "rumour" by the way, and as one other poster mentioned it doesnt do a mans reputation any favours when rubbish like that is posted. There's a reason irelands best surfers are ripping on his boards.

Boards like rusty, al merrick etc are all machine shapes hand finished, its pretty common with nearly all shapers these days, at least with an irish shaper you are getting a board for up to 30% cheaper and you have input into the design.

I would personally go to mark in powersource for a shortboard and glide for a longboard/retro board if i was in the market.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Check his prices on the website.

You are 100% incorrect
    To be fair I've deleted two of my posts, can't do anything about quotes but when you pick up the new board ask.
    I was told by the shop that the board I was asking about wasn't Irish, other wise a would go for it. Have query in with a shaper here about a longboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭keryl

How does one know where to go after using a beginners board? I would like to try a smaller board (currently using an 8) or at least a board that is less 'awkward' but still suits a beginner.

keryl wrote: »
    How does one know where to go after using a beginners board? I would like to try a smaller board (currently using an 8) or at least a board that is less 'awkward' but still suits a beginner.

I'm in the process of down sizing from a 7'7" NSP to a 6'8" fish.

How long are your surfing? You getting out much?

If your not ready yet for a proper short board then a fish maybe the way to go. They are wider and more forgiving than a proper short board but you can still do plenty with them.

You have obivoulsy done all you can with your beginnner 8 foot board then?

An 8 ft board shouldn't be awkward what board do you have and why do you not like it. If you haven't mastered getting out the back 90% of the time and catching green waves and turning then getting a "different" board might not be so wise - un less your current board is unsitable for you in someway.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭keryl

CRenegade wrote: »
    I'm in the process of down sizing from a 7'7" NSP to a 6'8" fish.

How long are your surfing? You getting out much?

If your not ready yet for a proper short board then a fish maybe the way to go. They are wider and more forgiving than a proper short board but you can still do plenty with them.

You have obivoulsy done all you can with your beginnner 8 foot board then?

Thanks for the reply

Well I go out as long as there's a swell;) usually 4+ times a week, getting as much practice as possible. Surfing just over 3 months. I only have this board for another month so I'm just looking ahead at what I would like to buy when it's gone and I'd rather move forward rather than back. I turn left and right on the board and feel comfortable but sometimes feel it's awkward to move or gain speed down the line. I'm by no means overly confident but the board has worked well for me and probably it's buoyancy has complimented me a lot. I have been looking at the other threads and everyone seems to say that the fish are a nice step down from a beginners board in that they have a wider build like the beginner board but offer more speed and movement.

Thanks for the reply

Well I go out as long as there's a swell;) usually 4+ times a week, getting as much practice as possible. Surfing just over 3 months. I only have this board for another month so I'm just looking ahead at what I would like to buy when it's gone and I'd rather move forward rather than back. I turn left and right on the board and feel comfortable but sometimes feel it's awkward to move or gain speed down the line. I'm by no means overly confident but the board has worked well for me and probably it's buoyancy has complimented me a lot. I have been looking at the other threads and everyone seems to say that the fish are a nice step down from a beginners board in that they have a wider build like the beginner board but offer more speed and movement.

Every one who say's that is selling a fish, keep doing what you are doing and see if you borrow boards from friends to try as many different boards as you can then see what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

kodute wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy any of their boards.

What are you vitals man?
    Height/weight/fitness and most importantly how often would you get out surfing.

A lot of people here will recommend you get a longboard 9ft+ to increase your wave count and thus learning. In fact so would I...

Thanks For the reply... I took some of the advice (avoid surfboards.ie) but ignored the rest (go for 9' longboard) I purchased an 7'10" escape nxr epoxy mini-mal on Tuesday, took it out in tramore last night and am delighted with my purchase..
    I was afraid that at over 6' tall this might be slightly too small a board for my level but last night I caught nearly every (messy) wave I went for..

- Next stage learn how to turn left :D

Thanks everyone for the replies. I know the thread took its own path but was interesting reading none the less..

Aquaman

- Next stage learn how to turn left :D

Look and point where you want to go it'll shift your weight and help the board trun. Also angle you paddeling a bit in the direction you want to trun.

PS all escape boards are made in ....... i don't know think the UK, see a good few and they hold up well - enjoy the new board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

Look and point where you want to go it'll shift your weight and help the board trun. Also angle you paddeling a bit in the direction you want to trun.

PS all escape boards are made in ....... i don't know think the UK, see a good few and they hold up well - enjoy the new board.

Respect.. I shall try that. Right turning is way easier. I was the same learning to ski!

I think they are made in Cornwall/China...... debate ensues ha

Advertisement