Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Boredom

Options
  • 13-07-2010 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

I have an 11yr old boy who is completely bored to death. He has been on crutches for the last 7 weeks so isn't able to ride bike, play football etc. Where we live there isn't anyone his own age. He doesn't have an xbox and no new game for his DS or the wherewithal to buy them. He has had a gutful of television and is totally fed up of the internet. He doesn't enjoy reading, puzzle games or anything of that sort. He's too hampered by his leg to scrub floors, hoover or anything useful like that.

Ideas on a postcard to this thread please. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Could anyone lend you an X-box or Wii? What about lego or meccano? Painting? Jigsaws?

If he was really bored then anything would be preferable to doing nothing, wouldn't it? Maybe he'd give word-search or crossword puzzles a go?

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

What about Airfix models?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Maybe this is a perfect opportunity to help him learn to enjoy reading. You could also get him into slightly older films that he might not have seen before, there's lots of good stuff from the 80's and 90's that someone of his age might enjoy, like Bill & Ted, Back to the Future, and things like that.

If he's being really difficult and won't accept any of your ideas, then just leave him and don't pander to him, he'll start to amuse himself eventually. You could (if he's annoying you) also send him to an OAP's home everyday to chat to the olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Thanks for the ideas. He's an outdoorsy, social chap so the sit down and do activities hold absolutely no fun for him.

I've tried on the reading, God knows I have tried but you can take a horse to water and bring the water to the horse but....

The older films are a good idea, must see can I get my hands on some. He'd love the Bill and Ted ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

How is he with comics?
    A lot of the library have a comic section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Could you organise for a few of his friends to come at different times just to hang out with him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

He's an outdoorsy, social chap so the sit down and do activities hold absolutely no fun for him.

The older films are a good idea, must see can I get my hands on some. He'd love the Bill and Ted ones.

If none of his friends live nearby, then how would he be amusing himself anyway, even if he could play outside? If you could get some youngsters over, you could have a barbecue/sleepover every so often.

You can get both the Bill & Teds from amazon for less than £2 each.

Advertisement