Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFX card - no signal to monitor

Options
  • 13-07-2010 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Got my new system this morning from ocuk.
    Booted up the computer, everything looked fine except for no signal to the monitor. GFX card fan was running normally too. All connections are solid, to make sure I took some out and placed them back in. I tried different PCI slots, no difference. My mobo has 4 boot up lights that go from PWR>DRAM>VGA>BOOT. The lights stop on VGA

Took a 5770 from my old rig and put it in, everything worked perfectly.
    Boot light came on as well.

So, is the GFX card dead?

The system obviously worked fine before shipping because the ATI drivers were installed. The box did seem to get a bit knocked around (GLS gob****es me thinks).

HIS 5870
    asus rampage III
    Corsair TX 850W
    Core i7 930 2.80GHz (OC'd to 4.00GHz)
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB
    Corsair XMS3 6GB

-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

hmm you have 2 options here 1. take out the card and re-seat it or try it in another pci-e slot 2. try clearing the cmos that might reset it but it will also knock out your overclock but im sure overclockers would email you the bios settings and you could redo the overclock yourself have you checked the power cable going into the 5770 it could of come loose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Yeah clearing cmos crossed my mind and im sure id be able to easily get the OC back.

However, i tried putting the 5870 into my old rig and it was the same story.
    Contacted OCUK, they were apologetic and gave me an RMA number.

So problem solved, somewhat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 nVital

Seems obvious but go into bios and change display from integrated to pci-e.

nVital wrote: »

Checked the bios and couldnt find an option for it.
    Researched about it online and apprently all asus motherboards are set to automatically disable onboard gfx when another gfx card is added.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

nVital wrote: »

I seriously doubt its that? He had a card in a pc, doesnt display, put another in and worked fine, tried the faulty card in another pc and didnt work? There is no way can be anything to do with a motherboards bios as the fault is carried to another pc.

Would say either a dead card or a faulty psu not giving you enough power to run the gpu. A simple thing would be did you connect the two connectors to the gpu?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Then the PSU would also be borked as a TX850 has more than enough grunt to run an OCd i7-930 + (OCd?) HD5870.

Sounds like something nasty has happened to that HD5870 alright :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Does the 5800 series have diagnostic LEDs on the graphics card? I know that the 4800s did and were occasionally useful for identifying the cause of problems.

Google is not being very helpful on the matter at all.

deceit wrote: »
    Would say either a dead card or a faulty psu not giving you enough power to run the gpu. A simple thing would be did you connect the two connectors to the gpu?
    Oh yes, Made sure all connections were fully tight as well.
    Tried both power cables on the 5770 and there was no problem, so cables are fine and im guessing the PSU is fine

marco_polo wrote: »
    Does the 5800 series have diagnostic LEDs on the graphics card? I know that the 4800s did and were occasionally useful for identifying the cause of problems.

Google is not being very helpful on the matter at all.

Yeah the 57** series has LED's but the 58** doesnt, very odd. Although it might be down to the manufactueres preference as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Looks like the card is Kaput!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dead on Arrival, and it wouldn't be the first time for a 5870 judging by Google :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement