Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hi from a Newbie

• 13-07-2010 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Been a lurker for a while, but today, finally bit the bullet and registered. Have been very entertained reading all your posts recently.

Really just wanted to give y’all a nod and say hello.

My background is…
    October 2008 (yes, strangely enough, decided to make that decision at the end of the summer, rather than beginning), after many years of gym membership, decided to pack it in and return to outdoor training. Initially, I just started back at the running. Three months later, first day back in work in January after the Christmas holidays, registered for a half marathon in Chicago (June), the Dublin marathon (October) and also booked myself a cycling holiday (Cape Cod – September / October – was a wonderful holiday).

Decided than I should probably go out and buy myself a bike J

Last year, my primary focus was on the running, while doing some cycling. My plan was once the marathon was complete, I would then switch my focus to be a bit more towards the cycling. Unfortunately due to some personal circumstances, didn’t get on the bike much after completing the marathon.

Finally in the last few weeks, have been getting back out on the bike. I still run too, so my basic fitness is relatively decent, but from a bike perspective obviously need to get the ass used to the seat again and strength in the legs.

At the moment, am just cycling by myself at weekends. But once I get the mileage up (am up to about 40 miles at the moment) and speed up, hope to perhaps join some group spins. Am also cycling to work once or twice a week – 10.5 miles each way.

I consider myself more a roadie.

My aims…
    Well don’t intend on racing, but do want to get my cycling up – both mileage and speed. My aim is to be up to 100 miles by my birthday (end of October).
    So really my aim is to cycle for fitness and fun.
    And definitely more cycling holidays.

One of the things I have found I love about the cycling is the camaraderie among cyclists – especially at the weekend when I’m out on the road bike (cycle to road on mountain bike) – always get a nod or hello from fellow cyclists!!!

That’s it, really just wanted to say hi to everyone and look forward to hopefully joining in your chats over the coming months.

Oh yea, one more thing – I love cycling!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Hello! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Welcome, have some cake
    3092_MEDIUM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

Welcome, have some cake

Dammit that looks good..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

welcome,welcome. make your self at home why dont you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Dammit that looks good..........

it's just something I whipped up for the OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Welcome! But I'm very disappointed that you went out and bought a bike without telling us first! :D What did you buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Welcome! But I'm very disappointed that you went out and bought a bike without telling us first! :D
    hahaha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NoddingCyclist

Thanks for the cake, it looks lovely. Since you went to the special effort of making it for me, I'll even pretend I like chocolate :)
    Oh dear, I'm gonna really be in trouble and guess I'll have to find a way to seriously make it up to you all - I've actually bought two bikes without consulting you - the first, my road bike is a Giant Avail 2.5.
    More recently, for my work commute Trek 6300 in root beer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Welcome! But I'm very disappointed that you went out and bought a bike without telling us being told what to buy first! :D What did you buy?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

Thanks for the cake, it looks lovely. Since you went to the special effort of making it for me, I'll even pretend I like chocolate :)
    Oh dear, I'm gonna really be in trouble and guess I'll have to find a way to seriously make it up to you all - I've actually bought two bikes without consulting you - the first, my road bike is a Giant Avail 2.5.
    More recently, for my work commute Trek 6300 in root beer!

Nice bike alright......still prefer the cake......:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Wave goodbye to your bank balance,it's the done thing around here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Joxer_S

I'm going to be doing a charity ride down around cape cod in a few weeks, how was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Welcome, have some cake
    3092_MEDIUM.jpg
    DROOOOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Your background is similar to mine. I cycled a bit as a kid, then ditched it when I moved to Dublin for college.

After many years of doing feck all, started running and of course soon decided a marathon was the only sensible thing to do. After completing the marathon, decided I wanted to get back to cycling so bought an entry level bike and did a bit of that for a while.

Then I had twins and stopped pretty much everything for two years, now they're old enough to look after themselves (3 is old enough, right?) I'm back into cycling big time. I did the ROK a few weeks ago, and plan doing a lot more sportives. I'm even toying with the idea of joining a club, though I like the freedom heading out on my own gives me.

It's getting so addictive, I found myself out last Saturday morning doing 90k in the lashing rain! As others have said, the only downside is to my bank balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NoddingCyclist

Thank you for the welcomes everyone!

On the bank balance - yea, I understood pretty quickly it would disappear - within weeks of buying my first bike, I wanted to buy another and I am constantly looking out for the next one I am buying. But way I see it is I work hard, I deserve to treat myself, lol. Besides, I consider sporting goods necessities - all very important for my health.

Joxer_S - cycling around the Cape was great. The terrain is not too difficult - few rolling hills, but nothing too challenging. The roads are very smooth and clear (i.e. not covered in debris, etc), they also have plenty of trails. Found them to be very cycle friendly, even when cars, trucks, etc had the right of way, they still yielded to cyclists.
    The Cape itself is lovely too - while it is commercial from a tourist aspect, it is all local business - no typical American chains i.e. no McDonalds, Starbucks, Macy's, etc.

on_the_nickel - I hear you on the cycling club versus on your own side of things. Reckon I will look at cycling club at the end of the summer, maybe, mainly as I think it will be better for pushing myself, improving my speed, etc. For now, I am enjoying the freedom of cycling on my own, especially while I'm building up. However, I do find when I'm out on my own, it's very easy to start cruising at an easy pace.

I am definitely interested in doing some of the Sportives too.
    I have actually set myself a long term goal of maybe doing something like the Pacific Coast Highway, from Vancouver to the Mexico Border for charity - it's close on 2000 miles and would like to do it in a month! But like I said, it's more a longer term goal, something for either 2012 or 2013 :mad:

Away from the cycling - a boards.ie question - does anyone know how you can change your username - I have a "typo" in mine, missing the C in cyclist - now I understand why I was having so many problems logging in yesterday :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

:D

Yep thats better! thanks bunny ;)

Advertisement