Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SMS Text using a GSM Modem and a Microcontroller PIC16F877A.

• 13-07-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Folks,

Hope someone can provide some advice on where to start with this project I am working on. I need to use the PIC16F877A microcontroller to detect certain conditions (this part is easy) and when the corretc conditions are met i need to send some basic information via a SMS text message to the owner or a few numbers. I want to use the simplest method possible to just send basic text data. I have looked at alot of GSM modems on the web and they all appear to come in large (approx 4"x4") units and are cost approx €150 e.g (http://www.roundsolutions.com/shop/en/GSM-Modem/Module/GSM-GPS-module).

Any simple microcontroller to mobile phone communication method you can suggest would be appreciated and low cost too if possible. tnx..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Those modules you linked to all have GPS as well as GSM. You don't mention the need for GPS in your description, so you should look for ones without it. That should reduce the cost significantly. Unfortunately, I can't help you much with suggesting a device as I've not got a lot of experience in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nbrady

thank you, that is a good catch. I do not need a GPS function. Lets hope someone else can help. tnx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

You will need to acquaint yourself with AT codes.

Heres a nice small cheap GSM modem as well.

This thread should probably be in the engineering forum as well.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Thank you Kenon, can you clarify a few things for me please if possible.

1. Do all GSM modems use a SIM card? And does the SIM come with the modem? Is the SIM contracted to a particular service provider?

2. Is there a ongoing charge for using a GSM modem in this way with a SIM? i.e. is there a cost per data transfer like a text message?

tnx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

nbrady wrote: »
    Thank you Kenon, can you clarify a few things for me please if possible.

1. Do all GSM modems use a SIM card? And does the SIM come with the modem? Is the SIM contracted to a particular service provider?

2. Is there a ongoing charge for using a GSM modem in this way with a SIM? i.e. is there a cost per data transfer like a text message?

tnx.

1. Most GSM modems I have come across use a SIM card that is not provided with the modem. The SIM card is a normal SIM card, like the one in your phone. So it would be tied to the network that issued the sim card and you would be using that network for texts, GPRS etc.

2. It would be working exactly like a phone so yes you would be charged. I would advise you to use text bundles or use a network's free text offer.

Hope this helps.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement

Thank you, yes that is clear.
    Now I hope someone can help further with my original request below on the PIC and GSM Modem interface, what code to use etc..

Hi Folks,

Hope someone can provide some advice on where to start with this project I am working on. I need to use the PIC16F877A microcontroller to detect certain conditions (this part is easy) and when the corretc conditions are met i need to send some basic information via a SMS text message to the owner or a few numbers. I want to use the simplest method possible to just send basic text data. I have looked at alot of GSM modems on the web and they all appear to come in large (approx 4"x4") units and are cost approx €150 e.g (http://www.roundsolutions.com/shop/e...GSM-GPS-module).

Any simple microcontroller to mobile phone communication method you can suggest would be appreciated and low cost too if possible. tnx..

Advertisement