Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aldi bread

Options
  • 13-07-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

HI all

not a huge issue more of a bummer

have started to shop at aldi more and more these days. We love the bread there , brown slice pan for 99c and the slices are nice and thick and yum. only problem is we find it goes off very quickly after day 2 was green mould all over the bread. its nothing about where its been stored as this never happens with any other bread we get

just wondering does anyone else feel this happens to them with aldi bread , its such a bummer cause the bread is so nice but seems a waste to just buy it and have to throw it out after two days plus freezing bread is never as nice!

cheers

Arrian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

what about the use by date? you could have bought it with just 2 days left on it

i get Lidl or aldi bread and both last the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Food & Drink

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

which gets me to a new question , when does aldi get their bread deliveries does anyone know? i presume its not every day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I find bread in this weather goes off very quickly. So I freeze it and use the slices as I go. Handy when there are only two of us anyway. And I find putting it in the fridge makes it go hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have gotten Lidl bread in the past... from the dates, it seems it's from the north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Not sure if its the same elsewhere but Lidl here in Waterford seem to stock sliced pans that need to be consumed within 3 days, the dates seem very short on them !!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

HI all

not a huge issue more of a bummer

have started to shop at aldi more and more these days. We love the bread there , brown slice pan for 99c and the slices are nice and thick and yum. only problem is we find it goes off very quickly after day 2 was green mould all over the bread. its nothing about where its been stored as this never happens with any other bread we get

just wondering does anyone else feel this happens to them with aldi bread , its such a bummer cause the bread is so nice but seems a waste to just buy it and have to throw it out after two days plus freezing bread is never as nice!

cheers

Arrian[/QUOT

I returned a loaf last week because it is a big problem with Aldi bread especially that gorgeous brown loaf....The manager said that there must have been a hole in the bag???????....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I returned a loaf last week because it is a big problem with Aldi bread especially that gorgeous brown loaf....The manager said that there must have been a hole in the bag???????....
    LOL. There are holes in all bags of bread. What BS:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

"that gorgeous brown loaf"

thats the one i love too , and its only a euro , was trying to see ones similar to it in tesco but alas no joy.

think im going to give it another try, be extra careful with dates etc...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I find in the warm weather most bread moulds very quickly. I keep McCambridges in the fridge, and it lasts for ages with no detriment to taste or texture. Try that maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Depends which brown bread it is.
    Aldis sliced breads are from Pat the Baker, Brogans and Spicers.

They re-stock daily so it would be very unusual to have product on shelves for more than 2 or 3 days.
    They also require min of 5 days to BBD (validated) on new stock regardless...so 3 days doesnt make sense.

TBH...Aldi's breads are of equal quality to anywhere else. Only thing is that Aldi cut out as much costs as possible so they can offer the best possible prices....fantatstic business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

the_syco wrote: »
    I have gotten Lidl bread in the past... from the dates, it seems it's from the north.
    Irwins from the North. Not great IMHO....better breads Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 65,505 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

olaola wrote: »
    I find bread in this weather goes off very quickly. So I freeze it and use the slices as I go. Handy when there are only two of us anyway. And I find putting it in the fridge makes it go hard.

+1

Aldi bread for plain sandwiches, toast etc. goes straight into the freezer here. Whenever I want really fresh bread, I bake it myself :)

Advertisement