Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trade papers

Options
  • 13-07-2010 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

looking to go to live in Aus on a GSM visa (sister there)have worked in the construction industry for over 12 yrs mostly as a carpenter and have no formal qualifications learned from the father and on the job where can I get my skills assessed in Ireland getting prices of 3000sterling bit expensive especially when your not guaranteed a visa,which is the best route to take

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

looking to go to live in Aus on a GSM visa (sister there)have worked in the construction industry for over 12 yrs mostly as a carpenter and have no formal qualifications learned from the father and on the job where can I get my skills assessed in Ireland getting prices of 3000sterling bit expensive especially when your not guaranteed a visa,which is the best route to take
    Try asking this on www.britshexpats.com they have a bit more experience in these cases.

Basically you are looking for a TRA as a carpenter.

They have stuff like this

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639215&highlight=tra+carpenter
    working holiday visa, if aged under 30 would probably be the fastest and easiest, albeit temporary solution. Then, in order of processing speed alone faster to slower - temp worker (457 visa, need an Aussie sponsor), perm employer nomination scheme visa (121? - need a very committed Aussie sponsor), 176 (family sponsored) or 175 general skilled migration visa. Latter two would also require you to pass the skills assessment with TRA and under current processing guidelines these two are generally expected to take around 3 years to be processed. You may also check if QLD state is sponsoring carpenters - state sponsored migration is one of the quickest to be processed - but I do not believe they do at the moment.

I recommend you start reading Booklet 5 and 6 from immi.gov.au website, and read up on TRA assessments. And there is no cheapest way to migrate either.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Try asking this on www.britshexpats.com they have a bit more experience in these cases.

Basically you are looking for a TRA as a carpenter.

They have stuff like this

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639215&highlight=tra+carpenter

cheers. biggest problem I have is No formal qualifications in carpentry but I can do anything that a qualified apprentice chippy can do learned from the father and on the job same goes for a lot of people Ive worked with in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Are you after the trade papers for your visa? if not you should not need them for applying for a job, if you get a start and are crap you will be sent home by smoko, only seen it twice before but funny when it happens

Where abouts are you looking at going, a bloke i used to work with in Brisbane is looking out for decent blokes who dont need their hands held.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

You can get it done in Ireland for €2750.
    Pm me if you want details

The Aussie wrote: »
    Are you after the trade papers for your visa? if not you should not need them for applying for a job, if you get a start and are crap you will be sent home by smoko, only seen it twice before but funny when it happens

Where abouts are you looking at going, a bloke i used to work with in Brisbane is looking out for decent blokes who dont need their hands held.

need them for the visa.I hope to be heading for NSW penrith sister is living there 14years.Have no problem with the work the last two companys I worked with I was made manager still working part time for one, reason I went out on my own and have worked at every aspect of the job.what type of work is your mate doing in Brisbane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

It shouldn't be that much of a problem getting through TRA for the visa without having formal qualifications once you can prove you have more than 7 years experience. You're main problem will the 2 year+ wait for a visa at the minute. There are some changes happening at the minute which may either slow up the proccess or speed it up. Nothing will really be decided until after the elections here. As somone said earlier have a look at www.britishexpats.com for more info. Also have a look at different visa such as state sponsorship (176) or sponsorship from a company (457) which may speed up the proccess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

.what type of work is your mate doing in Brisbane.

He has one crew of about 4 permanently in the city centre doing refits and partitions and another out in the older suburbs doing restumps and extensions to Queenslanders (the donkey work), he has this theory that he will only employ foreigners and blokes with a mortgage, reason being that they want to work and the have to work because they have responsibilities and no safety net of mummy and daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

he has this theory that he will only employ foreigners and blokes with a mortgage, reason being that they want to work and the have to work because they have responsibilities and no safety net of mummy and daddy.

Yeah but surely only foreigners with PR/, WHV would be too casual for that guy I reckon

He has one crew of about 4 permanently in the city centre doing refits and partitions and another out in the older suburbs doing restumps and extensions to Queenslanders (the donkey work), he has this theory that he will only employ foreigners and blokes with a mortgage, reason being that they want to work and the have to work because they have responsibilities and no safety net of mummy and daddy.

working the last 4 years at similar stuff all the big new build stuff has long dried up here,cant blame a bloke looking for reliable people noting worst than getting someone on the team that lets you down

Advertisement