Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise insulation

Options
  • 13-07-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,418 ✭✭✭✭

I moved into a rented house about 3 months ago. it's a nice big bungalow which is great, except the landlord had sectioned off a part of the building for use as a flat.
    The flat was empty when we moved in and it was only yesterday when it seems like someone moved in.

The noise from the place is incredibly bad. It's obvious that there was absolutely no sound insulation installed when the place was split into a flat. Every time the neighbour turns on a tap it sounds like someone is boiling a kettle in the room adjacent in our place. We can clearly hear his conversations on the other side of the wall and obviously he can hear ours.

Is there any minimum level of sound insulation required for converted flats or apartments?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

DEPENDS on when the house was built, the regulations change every few years,and most homes/apartments were never tested, i would not move into a house, that had a flat conversion, unless the rent was very low.Ask the landlord to put in sound insulation,on the walls facing the flat.There are regs in regard to sound insulation,for example, 2005 regs do not apply to homes built in 1998 as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,418 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ricman wrote: »
    DEPENDS on when the house was built, the regulations change every few years,and most homes/apartments were never tested, i would not move into a house, that had a flat conversion, unless the rent was very low.Ask the landlord to put in sound insulation,on the walls facing the flat.There are regs in regard to sound insulation,for example, 2005 regs do not apply to homes built in 1998 as far as i know.
    Thanks for the reply.
    The rent is very low and the place is excellent for our needs except for this one issue. We'll have to just plead with the landlord because we have a small child who has already been woken up by the neighbour (who wasn't being excessively loud. and I doubt he'll be too happy when he is woken up by a crying baby at night)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Not much fun when that happens, something similar happened to me a few

years ago. Empty house all nice and quite then new tentants moved in

next door, Landlord didnt care. I ended up getting foam sheets, the

white 3 inch thick interlocking ones and putting them covering the wall.

Bit drastic i know. But brought the noise right down. Hope that helps.

Advertisement