Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bed wetting alarm- anyone with experience?

Options
  • 13-07-2010 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

on my daughters own instigation (8 yr old) we have starting using an alarm. After 2 nights the only person it has woken so far is me :rolleyes:
    Any success stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

On a side note, I havent used it but have had a dry week so far. Ok so my daughter is just hitting 4 but the last week I have been lifting her onto the potty at around midnight, she does her wee and goes back asleep as she hasnt been fully woken. So far so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good stuff Smelltheglove. Nice milestone to reach :)

littlebug wrote: »
    Good stuff Smelltheglove. Nice milestone to reach :)

Does your daughter wet often? I know a girl of this age who does yet she doesnt when she stays on sleep overs. Over the last few weeks I read up on it a bit as I was worrying about my own girl, anyway what I read was that bed wetters often stay dry on sleep overs as they wont sleep so heavily, worrying that they will wet. Maybe if she has a brother or sibling try her in one of their beds? With the alarm she may wake easier.

Does your daughter wet often? I know a girl of this age who does yet she doesnt when she stays on sleep overs. Over the last few weeks I read up on it a bit as I was worrying about my own girl, anyway what I read was that bed wetters often stay dry on sleep overs as they wont sleep so heavily, worrying that they will wet. Maybe if she has a brother or sibling try her in one of their beds? With the alarm she may wake easier.

Every night.. at least once :( I knew this would be a long term thing as even day training was difficult and didn't really happen properly until she started school and to be honest things still aren't perfect by day. She obviously has a weak bladder or something but we've avoided going down the medical route until we have to. Being such a heavy sleeper is adding to the problem.., the alarm doesn't even wake her while it wakes me across the hall!
    Your ideas are good actually and I've heard of that happen before but she gets really anxious about sleeping anywhere else though (as you would :() . Poor pet it's really bothering her these days.

littlebug wrote: »
    Every night.. at least once :( I knew this would be a long term thing as even day training was difficult and didn't really happen properly until she started school and to be honest things still aren't perfect by day. She obviously has a weak bladder or something but we've avoided going down the medical route until we have to. Being such a heavy sleeper is adding to the problem.., the alarm doesn't even wake her while it wakes me across the hall!
    Your ideas are good actually and I've heard of that happen before but she gets really anxious about sleeping anywhere else though (as you would :() . Poor pet it's really bothering her these days.

Would she be upset about going to the doctor about it? I know the little girl who comes here gets a bit embarrassed about it, she doesnt mind telling me or my daughter as we say shes like a 5th family member but her mam say she wouldnt tell anyone else. If she is constantly thinking about it I'd try the doctor.

When I was researching for my daughter I came across this page so with yours being a bit older you could let her read it, its aimed at kids anyway so it might help her feel more at ease with her problem. I considered bringing mine to the doctor but decided to try myself one more time, I bought her a fancy new potty and wake her at midnight for a wee, so far so good but if it starts again I definitely will bring her. I find on nights she has wet her bed she is more likely to wet her pants during the following day too.

http://kidshealth.org/kid/health_problems/bladder/enuresis.html

• Advertisement

That's brilliant smelltheglove. Thanks. I'll show her that tomorrow. She has been saying things like "I bet I'm the only one in my class who wets the bed" etc.
    Re the medical route to be honest they don't seem to look on it as being a problem until they're maybe 7+ as it's so common. She was checked for UTIs a couple of times (and once did have one). I've said that if nothing changes in a few weeks with the alarm I will talk to the doctor. She is really embarrassed about it and doesn't want to...maybe changing to a female doctor would make her feel more at ease.

Fingers crossed she gets sorted. It could be something simple a little bit of medicine helps. She may even change her mind about the doc after Reading about it herself! Good luck.

In case anyone is interested.... this has been a success (so far). By night 4 she was dry and in the past 11 nights she has been dry 10 of them with one minor blip in the middle. Last night was our first non alarm night.
    :)

I actually can't believe how well and how quickly this has worked. She was very very tired (and grumpy) for the first week as she obviously wasn't sleeping as deeply as before but now she's back to herself and is delighted with herself of course.

Advertisement