Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guys that make dents in cars go away

• 13-07-2010 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

Got a bang in the door of my car due to my own incompetence this morning... :( Any recommendations on who/where to go to to get the dent(s) out. Panel beaters and such... Bear in mind that my car is not worth all that much so I'm looking for somebody to do the work who realises that there's a recession on, if you know what I mean.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Last time I got a dent (after two guys fighting on the street decided to carry their fight onto the front of my car.... :eek: ), I priced a few around Waterford but all were fairly expensive. Ended up getting it done by Raymond Grace just outside carrick-on-suir for a fraction of the price.

051 641260

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

merlante wrote: »
    Got a bang in the door of my car due to my own incompetence this morning... :( Any recommendations on who/where to go to to get the dent(s) out. Panel beaters and such... Bear in mind that my car is not worth all that much so I'm looking for somebody to do the work who realises that there's a recession on, if you know what I mean.

Next to Bobby's Buthers in Ballytruckle / opposite the entrance to Ferndale is a car repair garage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming, I will shop around. :)

Just had another look. Dent not that noticeable, but door hinge(s) slightly misaligned. Doors closes but not smoothly and not 100% flush. Bugger...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tycor Crash repairs. Fast, efficient and cheap. Got a golf done there the other day and now getting our main car done. Cheap enough compared to others!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

you need new door hinges also. Sounds to me like u bent the door backwards? ?

you need new door hinges also. Sounds to me like u bent the door backwards? ?

No door was closed, impact was in to the side of the car, near the hinges. At least one of the two hinges was obviously warped slightly (pushed inwards), setting the door alignment off. Amazing that this could happen without much obvious visual damage to the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

kennedys garage out in portlaw would be worth a call aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 towely

i went to a garage out on Bilberry industrial estate.very good job.worth a shout

Thanks for your help guys! :)

I'm down to a toss-up between Tycor crash repair and Kennedy's in Portlaw, and I'm tending towards Kennedy's. Both are quoting the same.

Any personal experiences of either (not already mentioned) would be highly appreciated! Or even just "a mate of mine got his car done there and he did a decent job" would do, because I want to get this sorted as soon as I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

My mam had her car repaired in tycor and was very happy with the results. There is also another crash repairs place in the kilcohan business park, just after the sports shop, on the left hand side. I had a bad dent in the side of my car earlier this year and they quoted about €500 cheaper than others. I decided not to get the car repaired in the end, so I do not know what their work is like though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Is Pickards garage still on the go, they're all panel beaters and sure they could help you out. Know a couple of people who went to them and were very happy with the job they did.

Think they're out past the industrial estate now and not in town anymore!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I got two cars done with Tycor, simply because they were the cheapest quote I got.

A black golf which had its passenger dore completely bashed in and several scratches around the bumpers. The door, whatever they did, is now completely smooth and looks perfect. Not a hint of it being damaged. They also did a brush up (not a complete spray, I avoided that) on the bumpers.

On the silver avensis, at its about 8 years old and has lots of various knocks and scratches around the bumper, a small foot sized dent on the drivers door and scratches around the boot. I picked it up today and the dent is gone, not a bother. The scratches are improved, but not gone, because there to deep and need a complete spray which at €400 was to pricey. Did the job tho.

There the only two cards iv had, and in the past two weeks, used in there. Spoke with some italian guy, Jasper?

Sully wrote: »
    I got two cars done with Tycor, simply because they were the cheapest quote I got.

A black golf which had its passenger dore completely bashed in and several scratches around the bumpers. The door, whatever they did, is now completely smooth and looks perfect. Not a hint of it being damaged. They also did a brush up (not a complete spray, I avoided that) on the bumpers.

On the silver avensis, at its about 8 years old and has lots of various knocks and scratches around the bumper, a small foot sized dent on the drivers door and scratches around the boot. I picked it up today and the dent is gone, not a bother. The scratches are improved, but not gone, because there to deep and need a complete spray which at €400 was to pricey. Did the job tho.

There the only two cards iv had, and in the past two weeks, used in there. Spoke with some italian guy, Jasper?

Yeah, I spoke to him as well. Seemed grand. Was the joint cheapest quote I had for dent + painting, etc. (€300). What I like about yer man in Kennedy's garage in Portlaw is that he was willing to give a quote on just doing something basic with the dent (€80), and possibly getting away without the paint job. Also hinges have to be straightened. Something has to be done with the dent because it is between a door and a panel, and they brush against each other when the door is opening, but otherwise it is hardly noticeable, so I might just get away with not doing the paintwork. At least he gave me the option, whereas most guys were just quoting me the full whack for everything. Bearing in mind the car is 9 years old, with plenty of scratches, etc., I'm not sure that having one part of it absolutely perfect is really worth the money. :) For that reason, I'm tending towards rewarding the guy who gave me a few more options... although by the sound of it, I wouldn't go far wrong with the fella in Tycor.

Gerry Kennedy, opposite Genzyme, who many people recommended, gave me an absolutely outrageous quote, and implied that it would be cheaper to replace panels than beat them! I know how he's paying for the nice place, the secretary, the coffee machine and the flat screen TV, that's for sure.

Incidentally, there is some difference between what these guys will charge you when you are paying out of your own pocket versus paying with insurance. I reckon 30% of our insurance premiums, at least, are being spent on unnecessary work, or shall we say, very fancy repairs to vehicles that don't warrant them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

kennedys garage out in portlaw would be worth a call aswell
    u serious??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

+1 for Pickard motors, if there still aroud,

amazing work,

Pickard David
    Unit 72 Westside Bus. Pk. Waterford Co. Waterford

* (051)843868

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

tom thum wrote: »
    u serious??

well they are an option for getting the repair done,,why wots wrong with them

Ended up going with Kennedy's Garage in Portlaw. They were the only crowd that offered me an alternative to a complete respray, etc.

For €80 I got two small panel sections tapped near the door hinge so that the door opens flush, and aside from one nick in the paintwork, it looks very well. You'd have to study it to find evidence of a knock. He also straightened the hinges on the door that were slightly out of alignment.

Considering the car is 9 years old, and has a few scratches here and there anyway, it was definitely the right option, and saved me €220 based on two quotes for a full panel beating, molding, blending, re-spraying, etc.

For anyone trying to sort out a bit of minor damage, especially to a an older car, and don't want to cough up a few hundred euros, I would definitely recommend these guys.

Advertisement