If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receiver and Speakers - non black

Options
  • 13-07-2010 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am looking for a receiver and surround sound (5.1) for a new extension at home. We have the speaker wires in place in the top corners of the room (it's a fairly large sunroom approx 7m x 5m)

Now - the trouble-and-strife would prefer speakers that blend into the colour scheme :eek: which kind of rules out black. Is there anything out there that is reasonable in price? The receiver can be any colour.

If not, I will have to resort to black... I'm looking for what you would call a 'one box system'.

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

No one from Richersounds can suggest a system that is not black?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

scorn wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am looking for a receiver and surround sound (5.1) for a new extension at home. We have the speaker wires in place in the top corners of the room (it's a fairly large sunroom approx 7m x 5m)

Now - the trouble-and-strife would prefer speakers that blend into the colour scheme :eek: which kind of rules out black. Is there anything out there that is reasonable in price? The receiver can be any colour.

If not, I will have to resort to black... I'm looking for what you would call a 'one box system'.

Thanks in advance.

Scorn,

apologies for the delay getting back to you :o.

We have loads of 'spouse friendly' colour options in speakers - White / Silver / Black / Piano White / Piano Black / Walnut / Natural Oak - if you really want to get in the good books we can even have some speakers Custom sprayed for you!

The Piano Lacquer white from Monitor Audio is really popular at the moment & we have various models available in this finish.

If you give me an idea of budget & ideal colour scheme - I'll get back to you pronto with some ideas.

On the AV receiver front most of these are available in Black - however a limited range are also available in shiny silver - Marantz have plans to intorduce a Piano White one but I don't think we will see it until 2011 - The whole Onkyo Range of receivers are available in Black & silver (and we normally keep a few available from stock in Silver) and some Denon models (more the top end jobbies) are also available in silver. Pretty much ALL Marantz Receivers & Blu-ray/DVD are available in Silver or Black and again we do stock them in limited quantities. Pioneers are now only available in Black (even tho' they do range silver in the US :mad:)

I like silver - I think the kit looks classier in silver personally..

Scorn, again apologies for teh delay but if you give me an idea of budget / finish I'll put together a few options for you asap,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply - no worries on the delay as the TV only arrived yesterday (I would have asked for a bundle through you guys as I see a few do, but I have a connection in LG that got me a good price on the tv).

Unfortunately due to the new build (and the price of sofas these days) I don't have a huge budget for the receiver and surround speakers. I'm not sure what you could do in or around the €500 mark? (edit: I have 4 speaker wires - one in each corner of the room - so need wall mountable speakers - not freestanding. Colours: could get away with white, cream, silver or wood effect)

If you could give me some options around this price range - or if you really think it's only possible for a higher price, some options there too (and reason why it would make sense to spend more) - I'd appreciate it. (edit: I have an HTPC box that's silver, so a matching receiver would also add brownie points).

This is a great way to do business as I don't have a huge amount of time to hit the shops... so thanks again.

Sean

Hi Guys,

I realise you're busy and missing Kenny, but just bumping this so it doesn't get forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Scorn.

Yep, your right. Missing Kenny big style. It's hard to balance the jobs of a couple of people when you've got your own stuff to do also....boo hoo !!! :confused:

Anyway, back to the job at hand.

I am going to suggest that the best option for you is the Boston XS 5.1 pack at £329.95 in white.

This doesn't leave much for the receiver if your budget is 500 Euro, but if you went for the Yamaha RXV367 in Titanium which is £179.95 (pictured here in black at £169.95 but silver is available for an extra £10) - this would come out at £500 and about £15 for posting it.

This is about the best pack that I could recommend as there are very few speaker packs below that sort of price that are available.

Take a look and let me know what you think.....I think you'll find they are both pretty wife friendly !

Thanks for the post and again sorry for the late reply.

Cheers

Dave

• Advertisement

Hi Dave, and thanks for the reply.

I have a quick question: if colour wasn't an issue how would the above compare to the one-box system that you have in your site: onky-hts6305?

It looks like I might need to revise my budget if we are to get some more non-black speaker options. Could you list a couple more if you find the time? The ones on the website under Speaker Packages generally seem to be black...

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply - no worries on the delay as the TV only arrived yesterday (I would have asked for a bundle through you guys as I see a few do, but I have a connection in LG that got me a good price on the tv).

Unfortunately due to the new build (and the price of sofas these days) I don't have a huge budget for the receiver and surround speakers. I'm not sure what you could do in or around the €500 mark? (edit: I have 4 speaker wires - one in each corner of the room - so need wall mountable speakers - not freestanding. Colours: could get away with white, cream, silver or wood effect)

If you could give me some options around this price range - or if you really think it's only possible for a higher price, some options there too (and reason why it would make sense to spend more) - I'd appreciate it. (edit: I have an HTPC box that's silver, so a matching receiver would also add brownie points).

This is a great way to do business as I don't have a huge amount of time to hit the shops... so thanks again.

Sean

Sean,

coming back late again :o

How about this for a package:

Boston XS5.1 5.1 AV Speaker pack in White: http://whathifi.com/Review/Boston-Acoustics-Soundware-XS/

Yamaha RXV367 AV Receiver: http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv367/yama-rxv367

This package should be £550 - I can do it for you on a Boardie special at just €uro 550 including delivery?

If you wanted to have a look at the HTS6305 pack - this is really excellent but will work out slightly more expensive at €euro €569.99 including delivery: http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/HT-S6305.html this speaker package looks great - really compact and in a piano lacquer finish..

Keep me posted if we can assist,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi John - thanks to you and Dave for the suggestions so far.

I do like the HT-S6305 but see that it's black only. I would also consider the HT-S5305 as it's silver BUT it does not have the Audyssey 2EQ system in it.

This setup is to go into a new sunroom which has a fair amount of empty space, porcelain tiles and a lot of glass. I've heard that this is not ideal for a surround system so was hoping that Audyssey 2EQ would help.

If this is just a gimmick, please let me know. It might sway the decision either way... (Can you also confirm that the HT-S6305 is not available in silver).

Thanks again,
    Sean

Hi Scorn.

The 6305 is only available in black.

They may make it in silver for other countries but the UK crew only bring it in, in black.

The Audyssey system is a useful tool for calibrating receivers but it's not clever enough to be able to determine the furnishings of a room. It will work out distance and size of speakers and it will set speaker delay etc but I wouldn't go for the 6305 because of it.

The reason to go for the 6305 is becuase the amp is a cracker and as the price of the system may suggest. It's a steal !!!!!

Can you not squeeze a 6305 in without her noticing ? :)

ATB

Dave

Hi again,

I could definitely get the 6305 without a bother except for the black speakers... but even then, I might start working on the better half and say it's for the best!

Is there no other speaker system that could go with the 6305 amp that's not black? I've seen the suggested Boston speakers - are they really good enough for the type of room I've described or is there something else you can suggest.

My birthday is in a few months time so perhaps the budget can be negotiated :D

• Advertisement

Hi again,

I could definitely get the 6305 without a bother except for the black speakers... but even then, I might start working on the better half and say it's for the best!

Is there no other speaker system that could go with the 6305 amp that's not black? I've seen the suggested Boston speakers - are they really good enough for the type of room I've described or is there something else you can suggest.

My birthday is in a few months time so perhaps the budget can be negotiated :D

Hi Scorn,

I have been given the task of looking after boards with John and Dave on Hols.

The only pack i can see that they have maybe inadvertently overlooked with colour in mind, would be the Monitor Audio Vector which we stock in white/black/ and walnut, they are a bigger speakers than the boston XSB but rely less on the subwoofer. They are currently priced at £399.95 and would work well with both the Onkyo TX-SR308 and 508

heres a wee link http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&SUB=100&ProductID=954

The boston would work in your room it may require a bit of tweeking with the amp due to the glass surfaces.

One option to deaden the sound would be a sound absorbtion board; basically a sheet of MDF with foam on one side and wrapped in some fabric (i.e same colour as walls) which would help to soften the sound.

Some of the amps set up mics will try their best to help but a spl meter and a quiet sunday afternoon may be needed.

sorry for throwing another cat among the pigeons.

any questions give me a shout

regards

Matthew

Hi John, Dave, Matthew - been away myself for a few days hence the delay in getting back to you.

Thanks for the info so far. I think I have the go-ahead on the Monitor Vector speaker package (in white, of course, and price depending).

I have read that these are 'bright' speakers and as such would be better suited to a 'warm' receiver... I'm sure this means more to you guys than me, but would the 608 be warm?

Would it be possible to get a price quote on the Monitor speakers and Onkyo 608 package? Feel free to PM me if it's too good to publish :D

If you can, would you also be able to suggest some 'warm' amps that may suit these speakers better if the Onkyo does not? (I have also read that Yamaha amps are warm)

Thanks again for all the help. Getting there slowly...

Hi John, Dave, Matthew - been away myself for a few days hence the delay in getting back to you.

Thanks for the info so far. I think I have the go-ahead on the Monitor Vector speaker package (in white, of course, and price depending).

I have read that these are 'bright' speakers and as such would be better suited to a 'warm' receiver... I'm sure this means more to you guys than me, but would the 608 be warm?

Would it be possible to get a price quote on the Monitor speakers and Onkyo 608 package? Feel free to PM me if it's too good to publish :D

If you can, would you also be able to suggest some 'warm' amps that may suit these speakers better if the Onkyo does not? (I have also read that Yamaha amps are warm)

Thanks again for all the help. Getting there slowly...

Scorn,

I hope your weather was better where you were than mine is :rolleyes:

I think the vectors in white are a good choice and they will work well with the Onkyo TXSR608 - however I would never ever describe them as 'bright' (Bright tends to mean 'brittle' sounding or detailed - warm generally means tending towards a rich or bassy sound) Unlike most satellite & Subwoofer 5.1 systems the Vector satellites are actually a proper speaker in their own right and are usable in isolation - however when partnered with the VW8 matching subwoofer they really do integrate well and the quality is way better than their (relatively) modest price tag would suggest. To be honest Monitor Audio are right at the top of their game at the moment - in lats months What Hi-Fi they had 2 products up for review (the Apex 5.1 system and the really expensive Platnium series ) and they both got stunning 5 star reviews and this month they have the brand new BX2's in for review and again its a straight 5 star review:)

If it was me I would add either the excellent new Pioneer VSX920 receiver (expecially if you are an iPHONE/iTOUCH user as it has an amazing app that is the best I have ever seen) or the new Denon AVR1911 - I have heard both of these with the Vectors and they do sound amazing - the Pioneer has loads of gadgets including Ethernet/internet radio and that great app - the Denon is much more stripped down but completely focussed on Audio quality - they are both slightly more expensive than the Onkyo at £499.95 for teh Pioneer & £449.95 for the Denon (against £439.95 for the Onkyo).

Here are the Denon 1911 specs: http://www.denon.co.uk/site/frames_main.php?main=prod&ver=&MID=3&sub=1&action=detail&Pid=445

Here are teh Pioneer VSX920 details: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/42/98/405/VSX-920-K/index.html

If you were to buy the Vector in a system with the Denon AVR1911 we could do it at £729.95 (the normal price in the UK for that system should be about £950!) or with the Vectors and the Pioneer VSX920 we can do the system at £829.95. Both would sound excellent!

Keep us posted if we can assist or if you would like us to set anything aside for you.

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks for that John.

Would you be able to give me a final euro price with delivery to Dublin on the Monitor/Denon combo? I don't think that I need the iPod/iTouch app stuff (don't own either) so would go with the dedicated Denon instead.
    Would you also include a price for a pair of suitable HDMI cables too?

Thanks again,
    Sean

Thanks for that John.

Would you be able to give me a final euro price with delivery to Dublin on the Monitor/Denon combo? I don't think that I need the iPod/iTouch app stuff (don't own either) so would go with the dedicated Denon instead.
    Would you also include a price for a pair of suitable HDMI cables too?

Thanks again,
    Sean

Sean,

thanks for that post - €879.99 euro for the Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 system in White & a Denon AVR 1911 including delivery to Dublin - I can do a couple of Tech solutions HDMI cables with that system at just €19.99 for the pair?

just drop me a PM or a mail with your contcat details and we will get it reserved for you on the system & get one of the guys to get you sorted,

Thanks again - Much appreciated!

John Mc & Crew

Thanks John - I'll PM you shortly with my details.

In the meantime, would you be able to answer these questions? (May also be useful for others following this thread):

1. I see that the Denon AVR-1911 only upscales non-HDMI connections. I have Windows Media Center (an HTPC) so the only connection to the Denon would be from this PC via an HDMI cable. I presume then that this signal would not be upscaled... (As far as I know, Media Center will upscale anyway, but this may affect other buyers of this receiver).

2. I have read that there is a bolt that is required for wall mounting the Vector V10s (the one that attaches the speaker to the wall bracket) and that this is a difficult bolt to come by because of it's non-standard size. Is the wall mounting kit included with the speakers (including this bolt)?

3. Are the HDMI cables rated for high speed?

Thanks again John.

Regards,
    Sean

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.