Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Weather Radar Offline 14th-30th July

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Discodog wrote: »
    Can someone tell me ?

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

Is this showing the amount of rain expected in the next 3 hours or the amount that fell in the past three hours ?. Does anyone know how often it is updated ? Thanks

Forward from the UTC timestamp on top. Updated hourly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Not only is Shannon radar down, but today's Valentia 18Z radiosonde went on the blink at 750hPa.... :rolleyes:

2010072318.03953.skewt.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The UKMO radar is much better for the whole of Ireland when the Shannon radar is working. It uses the Belfast radar along with Dublin and Shannon. Why doesnt Met IRL use the Belfast radar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

snaps wrote: »
    The UKMO radar is much better for the whole of Ireland when the Shannon radar is working. It uses the Belfast radar along with Dublin and Shannon. Why doesnt Met IRL use the Belfast radar?
    this one snaps?
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

I use all the time too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Shannon radar looks like it back online. :)

On Met E (not UKMO).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I wonder if it is permanently back as the advisory ME message is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 miner eaten

Looks like the Shannon Radar may be back
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Back to normal .........it's down again !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Back to normal .........it's down again !

It was good while it lasted! :)

Just wondering if the lads finished the work on Friday, switched it on & thought all is ok let's go home !.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It will be well worth it when the work is completed, the old one was unreliable...

That is a bit of an understatement !.

They must work weekends as it's back on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

They must work weekends as it's back on now.

Off again!

123199.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

tbh, even if it was on at the moment, it probably isn't fully fixed yet.

The UKMO radar is much better anyway for NW coverage due to the Belfast radar

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Shannon radar back (14 45) just in time to see the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Is it me or does the radar look like a big sphere the way its displaying ?/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Weather News

Shannon Radar returns to service
    11 August 2010

"The Shannon Weather Radar has received a major upgrade to both hardware and software, and is restored to service as and from Tuesday August 10th. There may be brief periods of interruption during mid-August as testing and calibration are ongoing to optimise the radar output.

Met Éireann would like to thank users for their forbearance during the period of outage"

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=78

The so called update is no better. The radar is showing no rain here & it's peeing down !.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Dublin radar's now offline

• Advertisement

This "new" radar seems to be giving a swirl effect - bit like a time lapse photo. I wonder how much of this is the radar & how much is due to the revolving of the weather system.

The new one is just as good as the old one with phantom rain. Apparently a shower has just passed directly over me - a dry one with lots of blue sky & sun !

I notice that even the Shannon radar is now, well seems to be back online, the UKMO dont seem to be using it now.

Maybe no one has told them or they are waiting to see if it is stable.

As if by magic, Shannon radar has now appeared back on UKMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I think the UKMO read boards . . .:rolleyes:

I think the UKMO read boards . . .:rolleyes:

Or perhaps the pigeon that the Irish Met office sent the UKMO just arrived with the news.........Talking of birds, did you see the eagle this evening on the 6 news getting tounge tied about the late August weather!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Does the new radar cover the same area or is it extended a little further west to south west???

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Parakeets

Shannon radar now detecting light rain at the extremity, proof positive that there is a significant improvement in the radar since the upgrade.

• Advertisement

If you look at previous posts some of the light rain that it is detecting is no rain !. Far too early to tell if the radar is better or any more reliable.

Advertisement