Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me put together a budget rig please!

Options
  • 13-07-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

For my birthday i decided to buy and build myself a half decent PC.

It'll be used for FPS games and some lightish photoshop stuff.

things i am awaiting delivery are:

this monitor

This case

---

I already have or dont need to be included in budget is:

keyboard
    DVD writer
    speakers
    Creative Audigy 2 pci sound card (is this worth keeping or using? will the onboard sound be better, as its a little dated?)

---

im budgeting around €550, but if i need to stretch that a bit for a better gain in performance, i guess id regret not doing it later..

All advice appreciated!:o

Edit: This is what i was thinking along the lines of... but again, ive been out of the PC game a long time, console gaming took over...

2h54sno.jpg

also, as you can see, i have no MoBo.. dunno where to go with that.

and i think ill be able to get W7 X64 at student prices somewhere else..

i plan on light OCing, incase i cant unlock the 4th core on that, and maybe a second GPU at a later stage, so not sure about PSU..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

[IMG][/img]13build2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

thanks for the reply!

updated OP.

would that be much better than my build?

also, is an i5 definetly out of my budget at €170ish, or can it be gotten cheaper? i3 just sounds like such a baby..

is ebuyer the prefered website now over HWVS?

also, (lastly i promise!) should i cancel and re-order my screen/case from ebuyer to save on delivery charges?

i should probably mention this, as it could affect the build, but ill have a spare 19in vga(1280x1024) monitor that ill want hooked up as well for funsies, and because it'll look badass.

were have you ordered from the case and screen i just used ebuyer cuz i thought u were all ready

[IMG][/img]Captuream3.png

[IMG][/img]Capturei5.png

• Advertisement

massy086 wrote: »
    were have you ordered from the case and screen i just used ebuyer cuz i thought u were all ready

[IMG][/img]

yeah i have ordered them from ebuyer, but would putting the whole order (monitor/case/PC components) together save on shipping?

i chose the X3 AMD cause i figured using (2xgfx + AMD x3) would be cheaper and better gaming wise than (1xgfx + i5). am i wrong?

[IMG][/img]Capturei5.png
    would the €130 extra for the i5 build well worth the extra cash debt?

i,d go am3 to be honest if you can unlock the core and overclock there great iv got the i5 and love it but its another 5770 worth think of it that way ya know and ye buy from the one vender to say delivery and also scrap that ram i listed to slow try this http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28068&agid=1193

[IMG][/img]Captureebuyeram3.png

well under budget! awesome!

so would this system be fine to OC as it is now? somewhere close to 3.5ghz?

would it play MW2 or similar at full whack on the 1080p monitor?

also, what are the chances of getting that extra core unlocked, and if it cant be unlocked, would i be stuck with dated equipment that leaves me needing to upgrade at the end of the year? how upgradable is the system?

im so sorry for all the questions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Saw an article on one of the websites where they disproved the theory that you wouldn't anything more than an X3 for gaming. They benched an i7 with a single GPU, versus an x3 with crossfire of the same GPU and the i7 setup was outperfirming the crossfire with x3.

That said, i think it was 5850s or 5870s they had, which if you putting that kind of money in you would likely spend more on the cpu anyway.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Saw an article on one of the websites where they disproved the theory that you wouldn't anything more than an X3 for gaming. They benched an i7 with a single GPU, versus an x3 with crossfire of the same GPU and the i7 setup was outperfirming the crossfire with x3.

That said, i think it was 5850s or 5870s they had, which if you putting that kind of money in you would likely spend more on the cpu anyway.
    Would you go for the i5 rig then?

would i regret having a triple core process in the near future? im assuming i cant unlock it. googling doesnt reveal what success rates are like.

nah you would,nt see a huge difference in them to be honest and if you ever did need a boost you could always then later down the road pick up a amd 4 core or even 6 core :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Its really up to yourself, if you are running a single 5770 i would imagine you are better off going with the x3 and save the money.

You can always upgrade the processor down the line, where money saved now might go a bit further. Alternatively if you are looking to take the gamble, venomireland is having sporadic success with unlocking a phenom x2

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055959836

Which costs ballpark the same.

Edit: What massy said

Its really up to yourself, if you are running a single 5770 i would imagine you are better off going with the x3 and save the money.

You can always upgrade the processor down the line, where money saved now might go a bit further. Alternatively if you are looking to take the gamble, venomireland is having sporadic success with unlocking a phenom x2

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055959836

Which costs ballpark the same.

Edit: What massy said
    hmmm good point letuze but if he can unlock it then he,s stuck with two core,s were as with the x3 at least he can just overclock the 3 core,s ya dont have a link to that article do ya i,d like to read iot :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

, venomireland is having sporadic success with unlocking a phenom x2

Yep, OC'd it to 3.4 and running Stability tests now, only seems to be a degree or two hotter (may not be the CPU that's running hotter,could be NB as Core Temp monitoring is broken when you unlock).

I would not recommend getting one hoping to unlock though, as I was lucky to get one that did and even then, it uses about 40W more than a 955 does.

hmmm good point letuze but if he can unlock it then he,s stuck with two core,s were as with the x3 at least he can just overclock the 3 core,s ya dont have a link to that article do ya i,d like to read iot :):)

Jesus that was difficult to find :eek:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-ii-x3-440-gaming-performance,2619-9.html

At least i had a vague memory it was on toms, i have linked to the page where an i7 920 + HD5850 is outperforming an x3 with 2 x 5870 in crossfire

excellent, thanks for the help guys!

now, is there any component you'd recommend changing, knowing that i plan on OCing? better cooling, few more case fans, anything?
    will the MoBo be good for OCing?

also, whats a good mouse and keyboard to buy from ebuyer?

(seeing as we are slightly under budget!! thanks massy!)

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    excellent, thanks for the help guys!

now, is there any component you'd recommend changing, knowing that i plan on OCing? better cooling, few more case fans, anything?
    will the MoBo be good for OCing?

also, whats a good mouse and keyboard to buy from ebuyer?

(seeing as we are slightly under budget!! thanks massy!)

what's the final list of components?

well under budget! awesome!

so would this system be fine to OC as it is now? somewhere close to 3.5ghz?

would it play MW2 or similar at full whack on the 1080p monitor?

also, what are the chances of getting that extra core unlocked, and if it cant be unlocked, would i be stuck with dated equipment that leaves me needing to upgrade at the end of the year? how upgradable is the system?

im so sorry for all the questions!

this.

ill also need a keyboard and mouse. It would be nice to squeeze in a decent 2.1 speaker system too. any recommendations?

will it run current FPS games at full whack on my new 1080p monitor?

• Advertisement

Most likely, but probably not with Full Anti-Aliasing.

How much money you got left over? Tell me and I'll pick out a keyboard, speakers and mouse.

this.

ill also need a keyboard and mouse. It would be nice to squeeze in a decent 2.1 speaker system too. any recommendations?

Yeah should do alright a 1080p, though not at full settings. I have a benchmark up from Just Cause 2 here http://adverts.ie/245518 (shameless plug :pac:) and yours should run a bit better.

I have the same monitor as you have picked out, its fairly nice for the price.

hey just noticed, you are only 4 quid under your budget :3

Most likely, but probably not with Full Anti-Aliasing.

How much money you got left over? Tell me and I'll pick out a keyboard, speakers and mouse.

eh 60ish euro. maybe more if i have too. i really dont want to be needing anymore upgrades after this for a looooooong time.

god what does it take to run a game like i can do on my xbox360 and 32" tv????

EDIT: just saw this PALIT GTX 460 768MB GDDR5 for £150

would that be a better buy and cut back on speakers or something?

looking at this review on bit-tech seems it destroys the 5770...

ye i was going to add the 460 early,r but i was just trying to keep the budget down ye i would grab it big time they seem to be a great card

Right so this is the basket before i press order.

ilkhoh.jpg

any last minute changed?

i went for a cheap keyboard, cheap mouse, and the best speaker system in its price range.

You might as well check pixmania for a price comparison before you pull the trigger

pixmanias website is so slow, this is taking ages lol

258nud5.jpg
    2v2fiht.jpg

thats leaving out the speakers and different RAM and cpu cooler.

• Advertisement

11j44yp.jpg

Advertisement