Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q Re credit card refund if company goes bust

Options
  • 13-07-2010 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Couple of questions I was hoping ye could help me with please.

1) We booked a room in a hotel for this Saturday night in Dublin about 4 weeks ago with credit card through 1800hotels. We have just heard that this company has gone bust and the hotel has no record of our booking. Is there a way to get this money back through our credit card company.(MBNA)

2) We are getting married this November and we have booked our honeymoon with an online travel agency with a good reputation. We have already paid a deposit of over €1000 on this. We need to pay the balance by the end of september. What is the best way to pay this in order to protect ourselves should the same happen to this company. Will the cc company protect our money if I pay by this method? Is there an insurance I can take out? Is there a way to check how a company is performing or what their outlook is?

Hope I have explained myself properly and really appreciate any advice that people have on the subject. The balance to be paid for honeymoon is quite substantial and we have been saving for a long time so would hate for it all to go wrong.

Any questions please ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Barney Magoo

Hi Rylan,
    I would contact your credit card company as soon as possible and get a statement from them as to their policy on the closed hotel booking site. My experience is that some credit card companies are vague on this and you need to push them for a response. I have heard that AIB Visa would refund deposits for goods paid in advance that were not delivered due to company closing down or going belly-up, not sure about MBNA though. I suspect that they may try to wriggle out or delay.
    For the second question: I would ensure that you have taken out travel insurance for the honeymoon and make sure that it covers all eventualities such as the travel agency getting into difficulties, flight delays, illness and anything else you can think of. Get a copy of the travel insurance policy and check it to see what is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

i only made a booking with 1800 hotels last night. unreal. Cant believe they took the booking and now gone bust, they obviously would have known about this before last night. very unhappy.

I am hoping CC will refund this and its the reason i generally book all things with CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

chris85 wrote: »
    i only made a booking with 1800 hotels last night. unreal. Cant believe they took the booking and now gone bust, they obviously would have known about this before last night. very unhappy.

I am hoping CC will refund this and its the reason i generally book all things with CC.

Are you sure they are bust, the web site is still up

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

The .ie site is down for me and so is the .com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I previously got a refund of 250euro (the full amount) for a purchase I made through comerxia. They went bust within a few days of my order (they are were an intermediary).

I got a statement from the USA federal liquidater and sent my bank all my order details. No problem being refunded at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kellywhite

I made a booking with 1800 hotels for April which I had to cancel because of the volcano, they issued us with vouchers instead of a refund which we haven't used yet. We paid the original booking by credit card, am I still covered for the vouchers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Rylan wrote: »
    The .ie site is down for me and so is the .com

.com still up for me, but there are a few threads here and there on this topic, and one suggests that the .com site is blocking Irish IP address, my ISP tends to show up a british..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's ip blocking alright, you can get to 1800 hotels.com through hidemyass.com

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

anybody called 1800hotels.com

I tried the parent company, not much luck there.
    Jeffrey: Hi t!
    Jeffrey: How are you?
    t: Jeffrey, we booked a hotel with 1800hotels.ie and Orbitz are the parent company according to the interent, they are uncontactable and it's saying they are gone bust, do you know anything? thanks
    Jeffrey: Oh I understand your concern, t. However, we don't have any information about that. But don't worry. You can still book with us for other hotels online.
    t: They've already got our money and ye are their parent compnay?
    Jeffrey: What is the name of the hotel again?
    Jeffrey: I need to verify that.
    t: Quirinale in Rome, Italy, it's all paid for through 1800 hotels.com
    Jeffrey: Where did you book your reservation?
    t: 1800hotels.ie
    Jeffrey: Oh I see.
    Jeffrey: No we are not tied up company.
    t: Reservation number 74**462, they money has already been taken
    t: But Orbitz are the parent company of 1800hotels.com ?
    Jeffrey: No. It is not.
    t: But it says on the bottom of 1800hotels.com "© 2010 1800HOTELS4U,LLC. All rights reserved. Orbitz ® is a registered trademark of Orbitz, "
    Jeffrey: But we don't have access on the reservations that was booked through them.
    t: Any advise on what to do?
    Jeffrey: I would suggest to contact them directly.
    t: I can't there gone
    Jeffrey: I have check on the internet and found their number 1.800.853.9054.
    Jeffrey: *checked
    t: There blocking all irish ip addresses, I had to use a proxy server to get to the site.
    Jeffrey: Rest assured that we are connected with 1800hotels.com and we don't have access on the reservation that was booked through them.
    t: I'll try that number and see what happens, thanks Jeffery, I may be back.
    Jeffrey: You're welcome t.
    Jeffrey: If you have any other questions, fee free to chat with us gain and we are more than happy to help you.
    t: thanks Jeffery!!
    Jeffrey: Have a great day!
    Jeffrey: Thank you for chatting with Orbitz today. We appreciate your business.
    Your chat session has been closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

t: But it says on the bottom of 1800hotels.com "© 2010 1800HOTELS4U,LLC. All rights reserved. Orbitz ® is a registered trademark of Orbitz, "

I don't know why you're assuming that means Orbitz owns 1800hotels. All it means is that they've used the Orbitz name somewhere on their site and are acknowledging it..

• Advertisement
Advertisement