Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU - opinions?

Options
  • 12-07-2010 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

sorry to resurrect a old thread but I'd just like to get peoples opinion on the subject now

my own view is that the union has good services and provides a vital role in a students college life but needs to communicate better with the students to make it more relevant to them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Holy dead thread resurrection Batman!

To be fair it's a topical subject and worthy of it's own thread for modd-der-inn times; split into a new thread maybe Sceptre/Peteee?

My own view is that the SU does a good job with whats available to it. I think a long term outlook is hindered by the fact that each Sabbat generally only gets one term to make their mark and as such it leans toward the short term improvement/change. The SU is quite visible to be fair to them and they've addressed issues that have previously annoyed me - Campbells monopoly on catering being one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mod note:
    I've split this from a resurrected zombie thread that was short to begin with and hadn't had any replies since 2005 until today. I think the Internet can cope with the extra weight of a new thread.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

sceptre wrote: »
    I think the Internet can cope with the extra weight of a new thread.:)
    Famous last words. :D

I'm happy with the SU, have had my fair share of ups & downs in interacting with them, but ultimately it's a great organisation that provides alot of services that my friends & I use.

As for communication, it's a bit complicated. I'm not sure what's the best method, they poster pretty hard and An Focal is.. An Focal.
    I assume a ULSU exclusive sticky has been talked about before?
    Where the OP would be updated (locked thread) each week with what's on, in the stables and elsewhere, matches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

It's an idea with merit to be fair having a sticky like that with a SU Rep updating it weekly. The only negatives I can see is that the SU Events/News is emailed to students anyway and unless a concerted effort was made to keep updating it we could end up with one of those zombie stickies that every forum has. As an aside I actually think stickies sort of circumvent their purpose at times; a lot of people just ignore them and flick down to the first thread below them I'd imagine. I know I do it.

The Education Officer thread has been quite successful so it can work.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

cson wrote: »
    It's an idea with merit to be fair having a sticky like that with a SU Rep updating it weekly. The only negatives I can see is that the SU Events/News is emailed to students anyway and unless a concerted effort was made to keep updating it we could end up with one of those zombie stickies that every forum has. As an aside I actually think stickies sort of circumvent their purpose at times; a lot of people just ignore them and flick down to the first thread below them I'd imagine. I know I do it.

The Education Officer thread has been quite successful so it can work.
    Correct on all counts really, can't argue with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

cson wrote: »
    My own view is that the SU does a good job with whats available to it. I think a long term outlook is hindered by the fact that each Sabbat generally only gets one term to make their mark and as such it leans toward the short term improvement/change.

I think that this a an excellent point right here.

IMO every Sabbat should get at least two terms. There is only so much you can get done in one year. As well as that when a sabat has been in for a while they generally realise what is do-able and what isnt. Allowing for realistic goals rather the "change the world" goals running presidents often advertise in their campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

reunion wrote: »
    I think that this a an excellent point right here.

IMO every Sabbat should get at least two terms. There is only so much you can get done in one year. As well as that when a sabat has been in for a while they generally realise what is do-able and what isnt. Allowing for realistic goals rather the "change the world" goals running presidents often advertise in their campaigns.

That's why 3 of us stayed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

ninty9er wrote: »
    That's why 3 of us stayed on.

No, thats why 3 of ye ran for re-election, and were successful.

But, I'm glad ye all were too!

Advertisement