Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun laws

Options
  • 13-07-2010 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I've been doing some research on the gun laws and I am just wondering about this
    "Before you make your application for a firearms certificate for a rifle in excess of .22 calibre, you must obtain a permit from the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government (Parks and Wildlife) to support your application to shoot game in the open season."
    It says to "shoot game" does that mean if you want a rifle over .22 that you have to hunt? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Short answer no. I don't taget shoot myself so I'll let the other lads explain it in more detail than I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I've been doing some research on the gun laws and I am just wondering about this
    "Before you make your application for a firearms certificate for a rifle in excess of .22 calibre, you must obtain a permit from the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government (Parks and Wildlife) to support your application to shoot game in the open season."
    It says to "shoot game" does that mean if you want a rifle over .22 that you have to hunt? Thank you.

you must be a member of an Authorized Range and meet security requirements laid out in the firearms legislation

Link In RED on top of page for detals

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

..........."Before you make your application for a firearms certificate for a rifle in excess of .22 calibre, you must obtain a permit from the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government (Parks and Wildlife) to support your application to shoot game in the open season."

A license for any rifle of any caliber can be gotten if you have a "good reason" for wanting it. Be that target shooting, game, vermin, anything.

The caliber is irrelevant to a certain extent. It only becomes relevant when assessed in relation to its primary use. ie. if you want a .338 Lapua Magnum for shooting foxes, then that would be a no.

I think this covers what you're asking about. If not please ask again.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

ezridax wrote: »
    It only becomes relevant when assessed in relation to its primary use. ie. if you want a .338 Lapua Magnum for shooting foxes, then that would be a no.

A bugger:D:D:D:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I know.

And i thought i was being sensible not asking for the .50 cal. :rolleyes::D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭freddieot

they'd easily give you a 50, it's the mad big yolks like 308 that they have problems with :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

ezridax wrote: »
    I know.

And i thought i was being sensible not asking for the .50 cal. :rolleyes::D

I cant see a problem with this. Its only a .50cal you would swear its available in armour piercing rounds or something.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Many apologies for my post above, I meant to say short answer yes and leave you guys to explain the range stuff:o

Advertisement