Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows refuses to detect DVD drive

• 13-07-2010 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Hey there folks, having an issue with my DVD drive that I've been trying to fix for a while but to no avail. Basically, I recently reinstalled Windows 7 64 bit on my Desktop and since the reinstall windows won't detect my LG GH2NS50 DVD drive. It worked with no issues at all before I reinstalled and I reinstalled from an installation disk so I assume it works. The power is obviously going to it correctly because it opens and closes without a bother and I can hear the laser spinning when I close it. But yet windows won't show any sign of it in "My Computer" or in the Device manager, no CD/DVD drive is listed as an option.

Here are the fixes I've attempted so far, none of which have worked:
    - I've made attempts to reinstall drivers for the device, but if it isn't showing up in device manager and even the driver software from LG can't find the device then it obviously isn't the problem.
    - I have taken it out, dusted it off and tried it with brand new and working power and sata cables but still nothing.
    - I have gone into the bios settings to confirm that it is there and sure enough it shows up in the boot option stuff.
    - I've also tried the "Upper/Lower filter" regedit fix I've seen mentioned in a couple of fixes for similar problems but still no progress.

This is genuinely baffling me as to what could be wrong and what else I can try to fix it, so any ideas you might have are greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance for any advice you might have!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Maybe its a sata drive and you,did not install win7 sata drivers.
    try a linux lived eg linux mint, fits on a 700meg cdr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

ive come across this before - try booting in safe mode and see if you can access it then.. if you can it sounds like same issue I was having..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

corkcomp wrote: »
    ive come across this before - try booting in safe mode and see if you can access it then.. if you can it sounds like same issue I was having..

Booted into safe mode and still no sign of it, this is really baffling me :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Anyone any ideas to add?

/shameless bump..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

try safe mode, directory services restore mode, that fixes, replaces windows ,boot files , if theres something wrong there,or try windows restore,previous restore point, or try mint os, linux livecd,
    that.ll pick up any drive/device made since 2001.set bios boot=cd=0 ,1st boot device.
    windows has generic dcd.cdrom drivers which may be damaged,or deleted.
    i had pc working fine,cept, all the device drivers for ps2 keyboard deleted,
    i just copied them from another pc running the same os, it got the keyboard working again.
    or try device manager,add new hardware, search for new hardware ,and wait see does it detect a dvd drive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement