Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repair of Bicycle Frame Possible?, Dropout Cracked

• 13-07-2010 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I have been looking around the www to no avail so thought i'd post here and see.

I acquired a frame recently and began a project of single speed conversion, to my horror I found that one of the rear dropouts has a large failure crack all the way through.

My options are to 1) get a new frame or 2) attempt a repair. I'm really only in this for the fun of cycling around and the DIY element so I would potentially entertain 2) before 1). The frame by the way is worthless.

So does anybody know is it possible to get a bicycle frame repaired here in Ireland? The repair would entail removing the dropout and re-brazing a new substitute or replacement, I was thinking of putting new rear facing ones on if I was going to bother.

Any mechanic who does light brazing and has an oxy acetylene setup could do this in theory. Ideally, I'd like to get it done that way and learn something.

Or am I completely wasting my time and would be better of just getting another clunker and starting again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If the frame is worthless I would probably junk it. DIY projects are one thing, learning to weld steel (which is a pretty skilled procedure) on something that you will be travelling at speed on is not something I would attempt.

If it's not a classic frame then I don't see the point in pouring money into having it repaired. If you want to learn how to weld, go on a tradesman's course or something and learn how to do it with bars. Bars that you can throw away afterwards and not worry if they are going to kill you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Take it to Rothar and get gareth to have a look. He's a pretty skilled welder and they can do that sort of stuff in the shop.

www.rothar.ie

www.tinyurl.com/rotharmap

good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

SubLuminal wrote: »
    Take it to Rothar and get gareth to have a look. He's a pretty skilled welder and they can do that sort of stuff in the shop.

www.rothar.ie

www.tinyurl.com/rotharmap

good luck!

Does Rothar do bike repairs like wheel truing and spoke rebuilding? A good shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 c_b

I think I'll head down to rothar. The way I see it if it can't be fixed, I might be able to buy a replacement frame down there and I have a perfectly good wheel with tyre that I also acquired which is taking up space in my apartment and getting me in trouble.

Have to say, I don't think welding it will work as it's almost on top of the brass fillet where it would have been brazed on. I think welding will just melt the brass. Although a good welder will just take one look at it and put me straight.

I had been meaning to go down there anyway to see what it's all about it sounds like a friendly place.

Also, I'm not planning on actually doing the work, I was just hoping to see it done and "have the chat", maybe pick up some skills or knowledge.

Much thanks for the replies folks, if there's anyone else with some knowledge / opinion out there, please help....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

72hundred wrote: »
    Does Rothar do bike repairs like wheel truing and spoke rebuilding? A good shop?

Yes, they do. Great shop, best bike shop in Dublin IMO. But then, i'm biased, because I used to volunteer there as a bike mechanic before I got too busy with 'real' (read boring) work to spend all my time working on bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

SubLuminal wrote: »
    Yes, they do. Great shop, best bike shop in Dublin IMO. But then, i'm biased, because I used to volunteer there as a bike mechanic before I got too busy with 'real' (read boring) work to spend all my time working on bikes.

Yea cheers for that, cycleways and the "place on the quays" are expensive imho. I've a friend that was charged €10 to change a tyre each! On top of the tyre costs.

Advertisement