Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My bad tongue piercing experience :(

Options
  • 13-07-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

I've just gotten my tongue pierced and when the piercer showed me my piercing I noticed it wasn't straight. I don't just mean slightly off, i mean it looks like it's pierced at a 45 degree angle. The piercer said AFTERWARDS that it was because i have some tissue under the centre of my tongue. I'm so annoyed as I wish i'd been told that initially. Really feel the piercing looks ridiculous now. Took enough courage to get it done once... not sure I'd want to get it done again if I took it out. Couldn't really discuss it with the piercer after as I was having difficulty speaking.
    Is it normal for this to happen? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Could just be the swelling as the angle will be more exaggerated due to the longer length barbell. wait for it to heal and get a new bar fitted then, won't be as noticeable. if you are still worried go to another piercer and ask them for their opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Sometimes a piercer will have to pierce it at an angle because of veins or whatever, however it shouldn't be noticible. As will said it could be more obvious as it's still swollen. Once it's healed and if you're still not happy go to another piercer for their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MonkeyShoes

Don't worry, its totally normal to find it hard to speak/eat and somtimes drink for the first few days! :p
    i got my tongue pierced a little over a year ago, and it sure did take some courage for me to get it too!:)
    it will take anything from 3-6 weeks for the swelling to completly go down so i wouldn't pay much attention to how it looks now as its not how it'll look once the swelling goes down. Don't worry.
    I found gargleing salt-water helped the swelling go down alot quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

Today I went to a reputable piercer for a second opinion on my tongue piercing and he was visibly shocked at the manner in which my tongue had been pierced. I have since removed the bar as it looked ridiculous.

I called back to the piercers and explained the situation. I was expecting at least to be dealt with in a civil manner. Instead I was treated rudely and neither the piercer or the manager would listen to anything i had to say. I had photo's of the piercing before i had the bar removed. The piercer replied that she did not need to see them as she had done the piercing herself and she knew what it looked like. She was adamant that it was fine and that its impossible to pierce any tongue straight because of the frenum.
    I then turned to the manager and asked if she would like to see the photo but she refused.

I am more than willing to name and shame them but I'd rather get your opinions on these photos first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

I've seen this piercing and I have to say I was horrified. A girl arrived into the shop today for a second opinion. Her tongue was pierced at a 45 degree angle and the top of her tongue looked like it had been cut by a canula. Reason given by the shop.... "thats the only way to avoid her vein".

jesus that's really off and bad form on the part of the studio :(

Will wrote: »
    jesus that's really off and bad form on the part of the studio :(

Can I name and shame them? I'd hate for anyone else to experience the customer service i did.

The piercer and the manager were completely rude to us when we called in. They said it wouldn't be crooked if I didn't stick my tongue out.....!?

They also tried to tell us porkies, like it isn't possible to pierce any tongue straight.

Oh, forgot to mention, she also advised me to have a cigarette straight after I got it pierced to settle my nerves.....

It's your choice whether you name and shame, if you are going to please don't slander or defame the place as it lands everyone in hot water.

Will wrote: »
    It's your choice whether you name and shame, if you are going to please don't slander or defame the place as it lands everyone in hot water.

I won't slander or defame them, as I believe the photos say enough.
    The studio is Impulse in Maynooth village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I've seen this piercing and I have to say I was horrified. A girl arrived into the shop today for a second opinion. Her tongue was pierced at a 45 degree angle and the top of her tongue looked like it had been cut by a canula. Reason given by the shop.... "thats the only way to avoid her vein".

That is horrific and easily one of the worst piercings I have ever seen (strong contender for worst). I hope those pictures don't put people off from getting it done because places like Wildcat, Bodyshock and Snakebite will never do a tongue piercing or any other piercing that badly.

I'm more than likely gonna get it done again once it's healed..... by a different piercer. Really was so close to tears when i saw it first but hoped it would heal up better. I think I tried to convince myself initially that it would improve but i took these pics 2 days after I got it pierced and it looked dreadful :(
    Only got half the cost refunded to me as the piercer said the remainder would cover the cost of the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

That is shocking placement! Definitely go to a professional next time. Just let it heal up and get it re-done.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

That is shocking placement! Definitely go to a professional next time. Just let it heal up and get it re-done.
    Thats exactly what I said when I examined it today. As it was only in for 2 days and due to the fact that none of the original holes will be used in a repierce, I have told her to come in to me when the swelling goes away and I'll do it properly.
    Thankfully she hasn't been put completely off the idea of piercing. She has realised that there's good and bad in every profession.

To be honest, I was more upset at her insitence that there was nothing wrong with the way it was pierced. Had she told me initially that she had made a mistake i would have had no problem having it removed immediately and repierced when it healed. I just couldn't believe she considered it was done correctly and refused to entertain the fact that i was unhappy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Frosha

I have seen it first hand and I have never seen anything like it before!!! Its important that you know your piercer or at least see some of the work they have previously done!!!

In the long run if people are un professional like that they are only hurting themselves as they will never build up a loyal client base!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MonkeyShoes

oh my gosh... i didn't realise it was like that :eek:

lucky you had it taken out !

Had i not gotten a second opinion as advised on here, I'd probably still have the bar in my mouth that was smacking off my bottom teeth on the left anad the top teeth on the right.
    I am wholly confused as to how a self proclaimed professional could argue that the piercing was anything but sub-standard. It's an absolute joke.

I'm a firm believer in supporting local businesses and wholly agree with the saying 'if you like what we do tell others, if you don't tell us'......... well i told them and they didn't listen and didn't care so now I'm telling you guys in the hope that the same thing doesn't happen someone else.

Would it be a good idea to ask the mods if i can change the title of the thread as 'new piercing not straight' doesn't really sum up the topic correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Had i not gotten a second opinion as advised on here, I'd probably still have the bar in my mouth that was smacking off my bottom teeth on the left anad the top teeth on the right.
    I am wholly confused as to how a self proclaimed professional could argue that the piercing was anything but sub-standard. It's an absolute joke.

I'm a firm believer in supporting local businesses and wholly agree with the saying 'if you like what we do tell others, if you don't tell us'......... well i told them and they didn't listen and didn't care so now I'm telling you guys in the hope that the same thing doesn't happen someone else.

Would it be a good idea to ask the mods if i can change the title of the thread as 'new piercing not straight' doesn't really sum up the topic correctly?

If you want it changed, what would you like it changed to?

Perhaps
    'My bad tongue piercing experience :( '

• Advertisement

Thanks for that :)
    Thankfully the swelling is more or less gone now so i should be able to get it repierced fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Jaysus grind gremlin that looks shocking. Hope it works out for you!

I finally got around to getting it redone.... Talked myself out of it a few times. I got it done by Pierced Off in Clondalkin. It looks and feels a hell of a lot better than the first time I got it done. It's sitting much better in my mouth also. Thanks so much Ken for all your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

omg grind gremlin, only seeing this thread now, you poor thing. I cant believe they had no excuse for doing such a shoddy job! they didnt even say it was because of the vein?

Hope this one works out well for you, glad you wernt afraid to try again :)

I don't have a vein in the centre of my tongue.... in fact, the original dodgy piercing actually ended up way closer to the vein on the underside of my tongue than it would have been if it was pierced correctly.
    My new one is smack bang in the middle so there was definitely no excuse for such poor placement.

I don't have a vein in the centre of my tongue.... in fact, the original dodgy piercing actually ended up way closer to the vein on the underside of my tongue than it would have been if it was pierced correctly.
    My new one is smack bang in the middle so there was definitely no excuse for such poor placement.

you should through a picture up to compare :)

is it still swollen? great when you get the smaller bar in, such relief!

I'm gonna put one up either today or tomorrow as I need someone else to take it lol Such a difference in the positioning this time. I've already managed to eat toast with no probs :) Big thumbs up for Pierced Off :)

I'm gonna put one up either today or tomorrow as I need someone else to take it lol Such a difference in the positioning this time. I've already managed to eat toast with no probs :) Big thumbs up for Pierced Off :)

haha, yea i was eating toast and all the first day too, couldnt do they liquid diet for long (when it didnt involve alcohol! :pac:)

Advertisement