Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First tomatoes of the season

Options
  • 13-07-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

This is my first year growing tomatoes and today i had my first taste of my home growns. I sliced some up at put it on brown buttered bread with a little salt. I was really surprised at how tasty they were and really looking forward to the coming weeks as more will ready for plucking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Well done Fred. My tomatoes a few weeks away from being on buttered brown bread with salt. I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Cheers Mags, I was really surprised at how tasty they were. For some reason I was expecting them to be a little bitter but they weren't at all. I have six plants in total and they're all either flowering or growing fruit and plenty of them too.
    This might an annual thing for me now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Cheers Mags, I was really surprised at how tasty they were. For some reason I was expecting them to be a little bitter but they weren't at all. I have six plants in total and they're all either flowering or growing fruit and plenty of them too.

It's an annual thing for me!! Watch out for hives appearing on your body, I sometimes get one or two hives after eating my earliest tomatoes each year. It might just be me though :D

Had my first tomato at the weekend :) The taste is always so deliciously sweet! What variety are you growing? We're growing moneymaker this year, grew it two years ago and got a fabulous crop from it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I grow Tumblers every year because they're so easy and I love cherry tomatoes. There are a few almost ripe enough now and I can't wait to start eating them. By August there are usually bowls of them around the kitchen. When I have a big glut of tomatoes I dry trays of them in the oven and store them in olive oil - delicious :)

r3nu4l wrote: »
    It's an annual thing for me!! Watch out for hives appearing on your body, I sometimes get one or two hives after eating my earliest tomatoes each year. It might just be me though :D

Had my first tomato at the weekend :) The taste is always so deliciously sweet! What variety are you growing? We're growing moneymaker this year, grew it two years ago and got a fabulous crop from it :)

I'll keep an eye out for the hives :D

I'm growing Moneymakers too and Gardeners Delight. The Gardeners Delight are still flowering and starting to grow fruit, I'd say another while before they're ready. The GD plants are really ferocious growers and have really grown a lot over the past two months while the Moneymakers are completely different, they have remained fairly small but have produced a lot of fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Lucky you - well done, still waiting on my GDs and moneymakers........

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I'm pretty jealous, I'm still waiting for mine too. Harbringer variety, they are huge, but still green.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

where have you planted them,
    i have two plants in my garden
    my toms are green at moment, i have them planted in the border, so hopefully i too will enjoy the fruits of my labour

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm at least two weeks away from my first moneymaker (grown from seed) in the baby greenhouse. Probably longer for the tumblers (cherry tomatoes) in my hanging baskets. The first fruit only became apparent in both about a fortnight ago. Done it for years and can't wait for the glorious harvest :D

goat2 wrote: »
    where have you planted them,
    i have two plants in my garden
    my toms are green at moment, i have them planted in the border, so hopefully i too will enjoy the fruits of my labour

I have them in several large pots. The plant that is ripening ahead of the rest is out the front of the house where it gets a bit more light, mainly evening sun. I guess that's why it's ahead of the rest but I could be wrong.

Also if any you guys can tell the answer to this question, some of the tomatoes have developed an odd shape, not round more oblong. Maybe it's how home growns should be. is it normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Also if any you guys can tell the answer to this question, some of the tomatoes have developed an odd shape, not round more oblong. Maybe it's how home growns should be. is it normal?

Yeah, I think this is perfectly normal, quite a lot of mine are strange and wonderful shapes but I reckon that if grown for shops the 'weirdos' would be rejected and discarded. I love them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Got a few Money Maker plants growing in the garden, they were grown from seed. There has been a good spurt on them in the last week or two. Still flowering and growing green fruit.

I plan to make a batch of home made tomatoe sauce and stick some in the freezer.

My carrots are really coming along although one or two have been attacked by slug?

The Sunflower is lovely and bright but a little droopy with the rain.

Advertisement