Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

True Stories: Maradona

• 13-07-2010 6:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Tonight on More4, 10pm. Seen the ad over the weekend, looks excellent. From what i understand, cameras followed him around for 3 years and nothing was off limits.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Thought that was last night, or maybe that was scarface I seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Link to Series on the more 4 website.
    Defo one for Sky+ Recording tonight

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/maradona/episode-guide/series-1/episode-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Thought that was last night, or maybe that was scarface I seen

2367515373_515ff7a325.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

need this on my hard disk

how to get...?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

"The ball should not get dirty" thats a great line.
    and on a humorous note when he spoke about himself and Claudio Canaggia, "apart from me and Canaggia no one else took as much as an aspirin":D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

what a charechter he is , knows how to dance aswell , stands to reason he would be big into chavez and fidel , takes one demagogue to know another

the church of maradona wedding was a bit too weird though

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Annoyed i missed this if it's being shown again and someone spots it could they post in here? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

irishh_bob wrote: »
    what a charechter he is , knows how to dance aswell , stands to reason he would be big into chavez and fidel , takes one demagogue to know another

the church of maradona wedding was a bit too weird though

How is he a demagogue?? I dont believe it's fair to dismiss the other two as such either but this is not the politics forum so i wont go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

lordgoat wrote: »
    Annoyed i missed this if it's being shown again and someone spots it could they post in here? thanks
    This is the response from C4.
    We do not have a scheduled date for a repeat just yet, nor for contractual reasons can we add it to 4oD. Please check the website in the near future for any further developments
    I thought the documentary was a little all over the place but still an interesting watch. The man is truly revered in Argentina.
    His daughters are a couple of pearlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Gutted I missed most of it, I caught the last 10 minutes. The two guys on the guitars playing the song were good, at a few camera shots it looks like Maradona is getting quite emotional with the whole affair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Missed a bit of the start but it was a quality programme. The reaction he gets in Naples is mental. To think he was on his death bed a few times over the last few years. Although is still mad as ever he seems to of matured over the last few years in terms of his health choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Pauleta wrote: »
    Missed a bit of the start but it was a quality programme. The reaction he gets in Naples is mental. To think he was on his death bed a few times over the last few years. Although is still mad as ever he seems to of matured over the last few years in terms of his health choices.

When I was 12 or so (1998) I went to Napoli - Milan in the San Paolo. I'd been to a couple of Napoli matches before, but against teams like Piacenza and Cremonese, nothing big.

The stadium was absolutely buzzing, and before kick-off the fans in the curva behind the goal unfurled this massive banner of Maradona, from the top of the stand to the bottom, I think it said he was God or something similar.

They then lit flares all around the base of it, not to burn it or anything, but to illuminate it better. As an impressionable 12-year old I'd never seen anything like it, and I've always tried to find a picture of it since but with no success.

He really is worshipped in Naples, in fact I'm a bit scared that they'll one day appoint him as manager. Only yesterday I read that Mazzarri, the current manager, said he'd be happy to have Maradona along for a week or so during pre-season.

As for the programme, it was very good, though not what I'd really expected. I loved Diego leaning out the window randomly saying hi to passers-by in Belgrade. Can you imagine walking around Dublin and having Maradona stick his head out the window and wave at you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just watched it. It was interesting and Maradonna is certainly a character but it could have been so much more. I thought it was also a big ego-trip for Kusturica the guy who made it. Too many weird monologues from him that had no connection with Maradona, and tried to appear extremely intelligent and also clips from his own movies that he tried to link with Maradona's story but to me they were really promotion of his own films.
    Showing things like Kusturica going to bars with dancers that Maradona has been to added nothing.
    Would have preferred more interviews with Maradona himself. Throughout the whole film he didn't seem to ask him one question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Watched most of it too. Was a bit of all over the place alright with a bit too many stupid cartoons that kept popping up plus they showed the "goal of the century" every 20 mins (defo best goal ever though). Maradona sees himself as a bit of a revolutionary but he does make his points. There were some good scenes like Chavez's speech and the trip round Belgrade plus got to see some of his Boca days. He described his cocaine days pretty well saying how lonely and nostalgic it made him feel. He felt he never fulfilled his true potential due to coke. Worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just watched it. It was interesting and Maradonna is certainly a character but it could have been so much more. I thought it was also a big ego-trip for Kusturica the guy who made it. Too many weird monologues from him that had no connection with Maradona, and tried to appear extremely intelligent and also clips from his own movies that he tried to link with Maradona's story but to me they were really promotion of his own films.
    Showing things like Kusturica going to bars with dancers that Maradona has been to added nothing.
    Would have preferred more interviews with Maradona himself. Throughout the whole film he didn't seem to ask him one question.

I agree with you about the ego-trip for Kusturica. Maybe if I'd seen his films or knew anything about him it would have added to it, but there were times when I wanted more Diego and less of him.

Advertisement