Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrights venue?

Options
  • 13-07-2010 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Simple question, is it any good? I've been told by one person that its amazing and one that its terrible but no one else has been.

Any opinions here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Lorri_L wrote: »
    Simple question, is it any good? I've been told by one person that its amazing and one that its terrible but no one else has been.

Any opinions here?

Have been about 5 times and doubt i will go back. Full of wannabe celebs who are just there to get their picture taken for the Wright venue facebook page. €15 in and over a fiver for a bottle of beer to be in a packed "super club"? No thanks and bouncers have a habit of been pretty rough. Go once and see for yourself and dont be shocked if you see people covered in blood :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I've heard only good things about it - suppose the novelty still has something to do with that though. It just seems like a nice change, being new, shiny and not as "dirty" of some of the other available options in North Co Dublin. Never though, t is just a bit far out - but would like to go and check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fergywergy

each time i ve been there its been for a party so havnt had to pay.wouldnt pay 15 quid in it isnt worth that but its a nice change.the top floor vip place is cool enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

hitman79 wrote: »
    Go once and see for yourself and dont be shocked if you see people covered in blood :(
    Is this a regular occurance? If so, I am surprised that they still have a licence.
    When did you witness these incidents?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

I'm 22, and don't plan on ever going.

The old wrights in swords is much nicer. That retro living room feel is cool. Much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

There is a dedicated floor above the club that caters for 70's/80's style music and not just cheesy wedding type stuff either!
    It's probably the best area in the club and has that "retro" style decor and relaxed vibe to it if that's what you are after and not just typical club style music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Had my 30th in the VIP area which was pretty cool. Have only been in the VIP and purple room which are great craic. The club part is much younger than the other two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

Thanks for all the opinions. Looks like I dont have much choice now as my friend has decided to go there for her birthday thisweekend. Will post how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭SwdDub

I'll have to go with hitman on this one. Full of wannabe a**holes poncing around the place desperately trying to be, well, I'm not sure what they are trying to be actually. A lot of people in the place seem to be far too in love with themselves.

I went a couple of times after I moved here because it was supposedly the best place to go but, despite giving it a chance, I have to say its a load of rubbish.

That is unless you're an egotistical poser and you want to hang out with a bunch of like minded tw*ts while getting seriously over charged for the 'privelege'.

If you don't fall into that bracket find somewhere else to go! Unfortunately it looks like you are stuck going but, hey, different strokes for different folks, you might have a blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Echoing the full of posers and wannabes.
    Have been once and wont go back.
    As someone else posted, I too still go to the old Wrights in the village. Ten times better.

• Advertisement

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Is this a regular occurance? If so, I am surprised that they still have a licence.
    When did you witness these incidents?

I witnessed it myself about 3 months ago and two people who were there 3 weeks ago told me they witnessed the same thing including bouncers and cops charging up the stairs knocking innocent punters out of their way. Both of them have told me they wont be back either.

If that's the case I don't blame them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Poser central. It's Krystle in Swords basically. Some people love it but I avoid at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

OK my 2 cents on it after last night -
    Its not bad but I wouldn't be dying to go back or anything. Theres nothing special about it except the size of it. There were a fair amount of posers there but that wouldn't bother me really. Let them pose all they want.
    Big downside is its very expensive, cost me 6e for a bottle of miller.

Hitman, I didn't see a single fight and the bouncers all seemed nice, if a bit up themselves.

Something strange I found was the amount of men. It seemed like every way you turned there was a new bloke waffling to you.

iI'd give 5/10.
    Thanks for all your help

At least you didn't have too bad a time. Thats a scandalous price for a bottle of miller though. Absolutely ridiculous and prohibitively expensive to most people off I'd imagine.

I would have thought most nightclubs had more men than women and that most of them spend the night hitting on any attractive young woman that passes their crosshairs!

Lorri_L wrote: »
    OK my 2 cents on it after last night -
    Its not bad but I wouldn't be dying to go back or anything. Theres nothing special about it except the size of it. There were a fair amount of posers there but that wouldn't bother me really. Let them pose all they want.
    Big downside is its very expensive, cost me 6e for a bottle of miller.

Hitman, I didn't see a single fight and the bouncers all seemed nice, if a bit up themselves.

Something strange I found was the amount of men. It seemed like every way you turned there was a new bloke waffling to you.

iI'd give 5/10.
    Thanks for all your help

Its now 6 euro for a bottle of miller?? An extra reason not to go back. 6 euro for something that i can buy for about 80cents and enjoy without a load of posers around me.

And your right nothing special about it bar the size. Glad your night wasnt a total disaster tho.

I don't know if I should start a seperate thread (mods???) but can anyone tell me what the 'other' Wrights is like. I assumed that the 2 places were linked/run by the same people and would be the same kind of places but after reading this I get the impression thats not the case?

The other Wrights in Swords is a much better place imo. Still the barmen can love themselves a bit too much but other than that its always been a pretty good spot to go for the last 10 years(i think) or so. Much smaller and is more of a late bar than a night club. Worth a trip but head to the Cock first and then up to old Wrights around midnight.

As far i know its the same owners and they have a place in Malahide, Howth and one opening in Dun Laoighaire soon i think.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

SwdDub wrote: »
    I don't know if I should start a seperate thread (mods???) but can anyone tell me what the 'other' Wrights is like. I assumed that the 2 places were linked/run by the same people and would be the same kind of places but after reading this I get the impression thats not the case?
    There are a couple of other recent threads that cover night clubs in Swords specifically and NCD generally. Both include comments on "old" Wrights

Cheers Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i worked the doors for 8 yrs in clubs so tend to avoid them like the plague now, i live 5 mins away from Wrights and have never been tempted there once, rather stick a fork in me eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

You only have to look at their Facebook page to see what the Wright Venue is like. WAG wannabes. And the guys are worse. Certain levels are better than others though. I live in Malahide and we don't go near the place so God knows why so many travel to it, I'd stick to the old Wrights or Cock Tavern if I was heading out in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

Its a good club 4 an occasional night out,tho it is expensive and the doormen are as******.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I've been the to venue a good few times now and had some real good nights. It's better on nights where there is something going on, like I was there when a member of the The Prodigy was dj-ing and it was a brilliant night.

On an average night the music is terrible, all rave. When it gets like that we always go up to the purple room, has some brilliant music and it's much more chilled out than the main club is. Smoking area is good too, it has its' own bar and ya can spend a good amount of time out there chatting.

For me, it's generally a sober night cos I'm a poor student and the drink prices in there are just ridicoulous. But if you become a fan of their facebook page you can usually get in for free on a friday night which isn't bad.

Anyone hear of any disturbance in the Wright venue last night? Some comments were deleted from they're Facebook page as is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Just listening to the news on 98fm there a minute ago, yes there was in an incident, from what I heard (half listening from the kitchen) men tried to force there way into the club after being refused entry, then stabbed the bouncer or bouncers, one is in a serious condition in beaumont hospital. Unsure if there was any other injured.

Elliee wrote: »
    Just listening to the news on 98fm there a minute ago, yes there was in an incident, from what I heard (half listening from the kitchen) men tried to force there way into the club after being refused entry, then stabbed the bouncer or bouncers, one is in a serious condition in beaumont hospital. Unsure if there was any other injured.

Heard something similar myself alright. Someone posted a comment on their facebook page about it but it was quickly pulled down. Only comments like 'omg thank you guys for amazing night' are allowed on their facebook page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Well if i spent 32 million euros on a nightclub it want to be amazing!! See what its like when its marketing budget runs out.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Well if i spent 32 million euros on a nightclub it want to be amazing!! See what its like when its marketing budget runs out.

Did it really cost 32 million??

• Advertisement

€38m according to this article. :eek:

And this article too. :eek: :eek:

Advertisement