Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CreativeIreland.ie - How The Hell Do I Get Registered For The Forum

Options
  • 13-07-2010 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi All

I have tried to register for creativeireland.ie.
    1. Go through the registration process.
    2. I get an email with a link in it, which i select to confirm who i am
    3. My account is then put on hold until the administrator decides that my email address is not a free account (eircom,gmail,hotmail,lavabit), none are accepted. I recon that the administrator must physicaly enter the domain into the browser to check it.
    4. The administrator has now told me that none of these free addresses are acceptable. It can't be a free address. I am tempted to use my college student address, but recon that he wont allow this either.

I am currently unemployed, so i don't have a work address.
    I am not paying for an address, because lavabit,bluebottle etc. all have free/pay methods and how can anyone tell which one i am on.
    Most importantly, i use forums all the time and have never come across this stupid method of putting people off using your site.
    I wouldn't mind but i only want to reply to 1 person on the forum
    Can anyone help
    Garry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

They don't allow free emails due to some guy that's constantly trying to access the forum via these free accounts after being banned. Can't speak for the site but you should be fine as long as it isn't a freely available email domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭FullHD

yeah, but that's why i tried lavabit (i didn't think it was well known)
    i also tried 10minutemail, but it ran out before i got a reply
    but really, what is a domain that isn't freely available (ans. one you pay for or the one at your place of work)
    sorry, not trying to be smart
    but if they take this approach, nobody can join
    it's like banning everyone from the school toilet because 1 person decided to write on the wall.
    Garry

So use your college address as you mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

So how do you sign up if you dont have a work or student email?

You can sign up and get the confirmation email
    but the final step is that the administrator approves your domain address before you can reply to any posts.

I don't want to use my student email because i have already tried 2 addresses (eircom and lavabit), the administrator (who i know nothing about and is using unusual registration practices) now has 2 email addresses belonging to me and honestly i am getting pretty cheesed off about the process.
    Garry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

FWIW, it's shocking quiet over there these days. If you post a new thread here on boards, you will get way more replies.

I wonder why its so quiet, maybe its because the administrator is so paronoid about anything that is posted, he is pushing users away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I find many of the people on there very pretentious and up their own arses. Designers are naturally strongly opinionated, and a forum made solely of strongly opinionated people is not a pleasant place to visit. I rarely post on there anymore. If anything I just browse the threads but its dead on there these days so there's not much to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Yeah as someone has already said you cannot use a free address so use your student address. I would imagine the Creative Ireland Guy is fairly legit (but I haven't a clue who he is).

I would use the student address.

or else

buy some webspace and create your own email address

get and address from a friends webspace it wouldn't take up that much space.

Ask you broadband supplier for an email address I do not think they are seen as free accounts.

email the site ownerr and ask him what you should do.

there are still a couple of good people on the site esp in photography and illustration

Thanks for the suggestions, but to be honest i couldn't be bothered, lifes too short and im getting old with that kind of crap registration methods.

The only option is emailing the owner, which i did at about 4pm today, i will give him until tomorrow to fix it. He did reply, telling me to get a non free address. I'm tempted to tell him get a proper web site (ie ban the ip address, not all the users that want to enter). I am going to email him now, telling him to sort it.
    Sorry if i sound like a wan**r, but i am the customer.

sheesh wrote: »
    Yeah as someone has already said you cannot use a free address so use your student address. I would imagine the Creative Ireland Guy is fairly legit (but I haven't a clue who he is).

I would use the student address.

or else

buy some webspace and create your own email address

get and address from a friends webspace it wouldn't take up that much space.

email the site ownerr and ask him what you should do.

there are still a couple of good people on the site esp in photography and illustration

• Advertisement

I just sent the guy 2 emails and still no reply
    mind you there was a hint of sarcasm, but i don't think he has the brain to notice
    Am think of effing him out of it today, just hope he isn't on holidays or hospital and gets my mail next week.
    Does sound like a plank though.
    :D
    Email 1 (last night)
    Hi
    I have just upgraded this email address to a paying account, it was only
    $16 per year for a premium account, which is good value, i get to send
    bigger messages and no spam and all that stuff.
    Hopefully you can sort out my account so i can access the forum.
    Garry
    Email 2 (this morning)
    Hi

Any chance we can get the ball rolling today.

Garry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

I wouldnt bother if thats the way they are gonna operate.

I just tried to register with my college address, got the confirmation link straight away, can login but can't post anything yet.
    I am waiting for the Great Lord And Master of CreativeIreland to do a police background check on me and see if i have any outstanding parking fines. I may as well go and have a few hundred cups of tea while i wait for the Great Master to get back to me.
    (Yes i am a sarcastic Fu**er)

If anyone here can post messages on www.creativeireland.com
    Can you do me a favour, i just want to reply to one guy regarding 3d max training, this is the post
    http://www.creativeireland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30766

you can give him my email address garrycs69@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

just did that for you, to be honest lads I don't know why it's become so hard to get registered, all I can think is that the website editor has a full time job and has been p'd off by some troll or something...

Thanks very much for that.

I did get an email from him a few days ago and he said he had been away for a few days ???
    Honestly, i do think by only allowing work email address, he must have acumulated a very large stash of media companies in his little database. I really do think this, because what he is doing makes no sense.
    minikin wrote: »
    just did that for you, to be honest lads I don't know why it's become so hard to get registered, all I can think is that the website editor has a full time job and has been p'd off by some troll or something...

OMG, OMG. LIKE O! M! G! :)

I have just got accepted into CreativeIreland with my student email, this calls for a celebration, i would take the rest of the day off, but i don't have a job. Maybe i will just run around the estate shouting "I have been accepted into CreativeIreland" like a teenage girl.
    More likely that i will post 1 message and tell the administrator to shove it.
    Below is my confirmation email
    Yes i did choose the username "Plank", directed at the administrator of CreativeIreland

Dear Plank,
    We have now activated your account at the Creative Ireland Forums. The forums can be found here:
    http://www.creativeireland.com/forums/index.php
    Your login details are as follows:
    Username: Plank
    Password: as you entered it when you registered
    Don't forget that your password is case sensitive.
    To edit your profile, please visit this page:

All the best,
    Creative Ireland Forums

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

99% of people on the site would have been registered before the restriction was imposed on free email accounts so I would be surprised if it's just a trawl for business contacts. To be fair to him the chap who runs the site does so completely voluntarily, in an effort to increase design/art discussion, so it's reasonable enough that he may not be on call all the time.

I reckon you should stick around the site for a while - it's only as good as the people who contribute to it, if you've something good to bring to it then I'm sure you'll be more than welcome.

Yeah, i understand, don't know why he doesn't just ban ip addresses.
    Since i have calmed down, i probably stick around, especially since my student email is probably the only way in, piss him off and i will only get back when i get a job.
    Garry
    minikin wrote: »
    99% of people on the site would have been registered before the restriction was imposed on free email accounts so I would be surprised if it's just a trawl for business contacts. To be fair to him the chap who runs the site does so completely voluntarily, in an effort to increase design/art discussion, so it's reasonable enough that he may not be on call all the time.

I reckon you should stick around the site for a while - it's only as good as the people who contribute to it, if you've something good to bring to it then I'm sure you'll be more than welcome.

A lot of our isp's don't use unique IP addresses, so you'd have to ban all of dublin on eircom for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stevo_s

Hi, yes unfortunately we had to bring in stricter registration as an individual had been spam registering the website using proxy ip addresses.

I believe he has also been banned here on boards.ie and several other forums using the same main name raspberryhardon.

It's a shame as many graduates are unable to use the forum, which has been running with no hassles since 1999 on a voluntary basis. We've got legal advice and are in touch with boards.ie so hopefully once the issue is resolved we can allow more open registrations again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

stevo_s wrote: »
    I believe he has also been banned here on boards.ie and several other forums using the same main name raspberryhardon.

Yep he got banned from board.ie a couple of times under several different user names....started a "creative ireland sucks" thread on this forum among many nonsense threads and sent abusive pm's to several boards users who also post on creativeireland and pretty much any user who told him to stop being a prat. Certainly someone who embodies the phrase "too much free time on their hands"

Advertisement