Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

booze takeaway/delivery service

• 13-07-2010 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Whatever happened to that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,360 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Outlawed like the happy pills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Takeaway....An Off-Licence?

They used to deliver though. Those were better times, before offies closed at 10...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,360 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

offies closed at 10...

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Gaynors offie on cork street deliver locally. Doubt galway counts as the cork street area though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Tesco and Superquinn will deliver booze if you book a delivery slot the day/night before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Don't whats for dinner do booze runs as well as food?

Order a small bag of chips or something, then barrel loads of booze!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Our local off licence delivers, I've never used the service, not sure what it costs.
    They have 3 drivers on the road at weekend nights.
    Goes until 10pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Galway

www.imstarvin.ie

They'll just deliver booze if that's all you want. I've even got buckfast delivered to me :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Buckfast......you just ooze class Kraggy :cool:

I've always thought of starting up something like that as there's absolutely nothing like it round my way. Stock up on the after party staples...vodka, cider, beer, shot bottles, loadsa junk food... get word out round the local clubs and pubs, operating hours 9pm to 5am. Job done. I reckon there'd be a brave wee bit of money to be made from it! I know I'd use it anyways :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I've always thought of starting up something like that as there's absolutely nothing like it round my way. Stock up on the after party staples...vodka, cider, beer, shot bottles, loadsa junk food... get word out round the local clubs and pubs, operating hours 9pm to 5am. Job done. I reckon there'd be a brave wee bit of money to be made from it! I know I'd use it anyways :D

selling alcohol without a license?wont be long before the guards are at your door

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

When did this come into effect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

There's an off-license in Harold's Cross that delivers. I used to live near it.

I still know of a local taxi firm that delivers!
    First I've heard of a banning of such a service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I just ordered beer 5 minutes ago?

selling alcohol without a license?wont be long before the guards are at your door

Everything would be done properly ofcourse :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

My local off licence delivers.. well they hire a taxi company at reduced rates and get them to deliver it but it's all the one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Carry Out and The Laurels off licences both deliver in Clondalkin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Kellys off-license in Phibsboro deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Murphys Off-licence in Ballymun delviers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And so do Sweeneys at Harts Corner, minimum spend 80quid and charge of €7.50 per 20 bottles, yes you heard that right :)
    http://www.sweeneyswine.ie/beer_spirits.htm

gurramok wrote: »
    And so do Sweeneys at Harts Corner, minimum spend 80quid and charge of €7.50 per 20 bottles, yes you heard that right :)
    http://www.sweeneyswine.ie/beer_spirits.htm
    ...And now back to our regular broadcasting... :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I also know of a local taxi firm that delivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I also know of a local taxi firm that delivers.
    Great idea. I'm sick of having to go to the rank to wait for a taxi.

Biggins wrote: »
    ...And now back to our regular broadcasting... :pac:

hehe :)

They must be mad if they think anyone would order stuff from them!

Did you see their regular beer prices? Talk about rip-off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is probably unwanted advice but:
    Buy extra in advance. Get a slab from lidl/aldi and put in safe place.

lol that's great in theory biko but would never work.

• Advertisement

lol that's great in theory biko but would never work.

Well its nearly 10pm, if you need more beer and you're tipsy you cannot drive, the only way is go to the pub or stock up previous to getting locked :)

Or go the expensive way using taxi's :P

gurramok wrote: »
    Well its nearly 10pm, if you need more beer and you're tipsy you cannot drive, the only way is go to the pub or stock up previous to getting locked :)

Or go the expensive way using taxi's :P

I got some booze when the rain cleared up earlier. At least the thread taught me that there are still lots of offys that deliver/get a taxi sent out around the country, haven't heard or seen any advertised in galway though which is a pity. Will continue to search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

Kinda on-topic

I knew a guy in Glasgow that spent near enough every night in his favourite pub, a gud 10-15 mins drive away from his house. Instead of getting a taxi home (too expensive), he would ring the chinese opposite the pub and order a home delivery and would get a lift home with the delivery man, costing him only the £1.50 they charge for the delivery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

AFAIK there are places in Dublin that still do this (I'm assuming that it would still be done in the main cities / towns around the country), not used it in over a year but (in Dublin) the Palmerstown House and Penny Hill pub would deliver, I think the guy who owns that whole chain of pubs do it. You need to register with them and each time they call you need to have photo I.D. but it's pretty useful if you're having a party and want top up booze.

I would have thought that it would have been a really popular thing around different parts of the country, is it difficult to get a license for this or is some sort of special publican license required or something?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Just watched the piece there, whos that idiot complaining there are too many off licenses? And saying centras/spars/garages shouldnt be allowed get a license (which funnily enough these places are usually quite strict asking for ID I've noticed), stupidity really but its RTE so suprise suprise.
    Interestingly enough if a parent ordered their shopping online via tescos/superquinn with a credit card, ordered a couple of bottles of wine with the order aswell as groceries, they are out and their 16/17 year old (which is a age I'm sure is old enough to answer the door :rolleyes:), would the delivery driver have to refuse delivery of the goods due to the alcohol being in the order? Seems rather stupid to me, If those drivers have hundreds of deliveries to make each day, I'm sure they could easily overlook that alcohol is in the bag being delivered, not sure how tesco do delivery, but I'm sure there would be some kind of "package" for each order
    Also for people, like myself, who don't drive one could see how a alcohol delivery service is beneficial if lets say you are having a party or something and carrying crateloads of beer isnt feasible

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭00011000

just wondering if there have been any updates to the issue of delivering alcohol to people's homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

TheZohan wrote: »
    Tesco and Superquinn will deliver booze if you book a delivery slot the day/night before.
    Ya but they won't deliver it to you at 3 in the morning along with salt and chilly king prawns like those industrious Chinese would.
    They used to serve beer in my local Chinese and they'd sell it to any of their regular customers no matter what time it was, it's not like they had a license to sell it in the first place so I suppose they weren't all that worried any way. Don't sell it any more though.

your chinese actually delivers at 3am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

00011000 wrote: »
    your chinese actually delivers at 3am?
    Sorry I didn't mean to imply I own a Chinese take away. I am also not Chinese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 gaytony

my cousin runs one ,he operates from 6pm-3am and he has to make daily trips up north he cleans up on the price difference between north and south.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Ya but they won't deliver it to you at 3 in the morning along with salt and chilly king prawns like those industrious Chinese would.
    They used to serve beer in my local Chinese and they'd sell it to any of their regular customers no matter what time it was, it's not like they had a license to sell it in the first place so I suppose they weren't all that worried any way. Don't sell it any more though.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't mean to imply I own a Chinese take away. I am also not Chinese.

I didn't mean to imply that you were Chinese or ran a Chinese takeaway. Just wondering whether your Local Chinese actually delivers til 3am

• Advertisement

gaytony wrote: »
    my cousin runs one ,he operates from 6pm-3am and he has to make daily trips up north he cleans up on the price difference between north and south.

So he's selling drink without a license, outside of legal operating hours, without paying taxes? clever man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Two offos I used to order off of, and Tesco too, still deliver.

Two offos I used to order off of, and Tesco too, still deliver.

That's cool. I don't think there will ever be legislation against the delivery of alcohol in Ireland. They should legislate for safe, taxable, responsible delivery of alcohol. I propose simply demanding for delivery drivers to ask for ID and allowing for C.O.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Brew your own beer @ about 20 to 25 cents a pint.
    Home made wine about a €uro a bottle. Red, white or rose.
    Spirits a little more difficult and illegal to distil. Havn't gone there yet.
    For mixers get a Sodastream and concentrates, lasts for ages.
    2 or 3 weeks then bring on the party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

That's cool. I don't think there will ever be legislation against the delivery of alcohol in Ireland. They should legislate for safe, taxable, responsible delivery of alcohol. I propose simply demanding for delivery drivers to ask for ID and allowing for C.O.D.

I'm pretty sure the rules already call for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'm pretty sure the rules already call for that.

They do.

Tesco make it clear on their website that a person over 18 must be there to receive the order if it contains alcohol and they will ask for ID.

There used to be a delivery service in Dublin that would deliver at any hour of the night, you paid online and because the transaction went through in Spain they technically were selling you the alcohol there so Irish regulations didn't apply. (Or at least that was the theory)

I'm not sure if they're still running, I'd say the Gardai took a dim view of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

NoHornJan wrote: »
    Brew your own beer @ about 20 to 25 cents a pint.
    Home made wine about a €uro a bottle. Red, white or rose.
    Spirits a little more difficult and illegal to distil. Havn't gone there yet.
    For mixers get a Sodastream and concentrates, lasts for ages.
    2 or 3 weeks then bring on the party.

so can make bath tub rum and have home made sunny D ??

DEADLY! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 gaytony

clever man.
    6 years in , never been caught :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Famous last words gaytony, famous last words........

Horatio is on the case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

clever man.

4fm exposed a guy like this last night and on air and to minors lol 6 years no more lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement