Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun new show on the History Channel

Options
  • 13-07-2010 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if any of you have the History channel, but if you do, keep an eye out for Top Shot, their latest show. It's utter balderdash, but fun after a beer.

Basicly, they took the Top Chef reality show model and started doing them with shooters instead of chefs. Lots of exhibition shooters, USPSA shooters, marine scout snipers and the like and put them through a bunch of very Hollywood challenges and then eliminate them one-by-one until the winner earns a hundred grand.

Like I said, utter balderdash, but a bit of a giggle after a beer or two.

Be warned, if you find yourself facepalming at some of the trash talking, be sure you have nothing heavy to hand because you will be tempted to throw it through the screen within a few minutes. Just fast-forward to the actual shooting bits instead :D

(You can find lots of bits and pieces on youtube from the show if you search for "top shot")

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

looks like a bit of craic alright, cheers for the heads up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

thanks looks cool, found links to all of them on www.alluc.org

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

A second season?
    Yeesh.
    Well, I suppose so long as you never consider it a show for shooters, but as a show for Joe Public who doesn't know one end of a rifle from the other end of a pistol...

(and if they do a better job of producing it, obviously. One competitor was put into a challange it was physically impossible for him to beat; and another entire event nearly failed because the flintlock they were using wouldn't work and if the instructor hadn't brought his own, it was over right there and then. I mean, that's just basic logistics for pity's sake).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Whats the chances of RTE making an Irish version????:D

• Advertisement

God, I hope there no chance at all.
    I mean, with a beer or two in you and a lot of popcorn, you can get a laugh out of it for the shooting bits, but the drama stuff is worse than secondary school.
    To be honest, if it wasn't for seeing JJ Racaza shooting, I'd have stopped watching half-way through the first episode. You know from the outset that it's "reality tv" not "shooting tv", but feck's sake, I didn't think the gap between the two would be so vast...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

I have just had a brill' idea for a TV show:

sparks, bunnyshooter, grizzly45, dCorbus, landkeeper, jwshooter, it wasn't me, tackleberrywho, & ivanthehunter - all stuck on a deserted jungle island, a series of shooting contests, and a pop-quiz on firearms trivia/pedantry:

"I'm a Shooting Enthusiast, Get me outta Here!"

or

"Shooting Big Bother"

Think anyone from TV3 is lurking here? Coz it'd be their kinda show!!!:D

Just get the popcorn, sit back, and enjoy the fireworks spectacle!

:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There are some definite shooting talents involved (Would be nice to see Kelly Bachand fund his career with the prize money, or, y'know, pay for his college fees) but so far, not enough beer consumed for it not to be a tad cringeworthy, and I swear, I've been trying my hardest...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

dCorbus wrote: »
    ............sparks, bunnyshooter, grizzly45, dCorbus, landkeeper, jwshooter, it wasn't me, tackleberrywho, & ivanthehunter - all stuck on a deserted jungle island, ...........

:D:p
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »

Yeah, get me off that feckin' island!

• Advertisement

Oh, it's not that kind of show, ez.:p

Yeah, get me off that feckin' island!

Thought ya might enjoy the company!!!!:p:D

dCorbus wrote: »
    Oh, it's not that kind of show, ez.:p

No, let me correct you. *In theory* it's not that kind of show. :p

But I picked an uneven number of contestants - so someone's gonna have ta share!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

There's a BIG thread on this show over on The Firing Line, with contributions from some of the contestants:
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410870

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

One Y'all got a mighty purty mouth!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

I noticed the advertiser for the first show and gave it a try, hard going to get through the first half. The redhead went back to the Times crossword and I dosed off & on, boring.

Think I will see if I can hit a few hand thrown crossers using the moon as a backdrop. ;)

Spotted on the net...
    Top Shot Winner Ian Harrison Reveals Hollywood Insider Secrets

ianharrison.jpg

The History Channel’s new TOP SHOT television show was a big success, attracting more than two million viewers each week. The show, which featured equal amounts of “Reality TV” and head-to-head competition with a variety of weapons, had a winning formula that captured a large audience. The competitors in this gun-friendly series became instant celebrities of sorts, none more so than Ian Harrison, the ex-pat British Army officer who was “the last man standing” on the show’s final episode. Ian was a fast learner who had no real weaknesses with any weapons — from throwing knives to AR15s. He was a popular and deserving champion who came away with the show’s $100,000 prize and bragging rights to the title of “Top Shot”.

Ian Harrison was recently interviewed by the NRA’s American Hunter magazine. In his interview, Ian gave away a few TOP SHOT secrets — including “behind the scenes shenanigans”. To read the complete interview with Ian, visit AmericanHunter.com. In his closing comments, Ian had this to say about the overall experience:
    If you ever get the chance to participate in one of these shows, my advice is to go for it. So long as you and your family can handle the separation, it will present a great opportunity to see behind the scenes of a TV show, shoot a few unusual guns and make some lasting friendships. Just remember that the show’s audience is comprised of mostly non-shooters, and whether you like it or not, you are acting as an ambassador for the sport we all love. Your behavior reflects on all gun owners. Don’t screw it up.

Advertisement