Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moscow to build 5000 bomb shelters pre 2012

• 13-07-2010 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Seems to me to be a rush to build 5000 shelters in just one and a half years. I wonder why the rush, what are they expecting ??
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Nearly 5,000 new emergency bomb shelters will be built in Moscow by 2012 to save people in case of potential attacks.

Moscow authorities say the measure is urgent as the shelters currently available in the city can house no more that half of its population.

Read more

In the last 20 years, the area of air-raid defense has been developed little, and the existing shelters have become outdated. Moreover, they are located mostly in the city center, which makes densely populated Moscow outskirts especially vulnerable in the event of a nuclear attack.

In order to resolve the issue, the city has given architects a task to construct a typical model of an easy-to-build shelter that will be located all over the city 10 to 15 meters underneath apartment blocks, shopping centers, sport complexes and parks, as in case of attack people will need to reach the shelters within a minute.

Moscow saw its first mass building of shelters in the 1930s, after which 7,000 of them were constructed. Some of Russia’s metro stations have been built very deep underground so that they could double as air raid shelters.

However, in the early 1990s, many shelters were privatized by commercial firms that used them as warehouses, parking lots, and even restaurants.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

A more practical use of military defence funds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Seems to me to be a rush to build 5000 shelters in just one and a half years. I wonder why the rush, what are they expecting ??
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Nearly 5,000 new emergency bomb shelters will be built in Moscow by 2012 to save people in case of potential attacks.

Moscow authorities say the measure is urgent as the shelters currently available in the city can house no more that half of its population.

Read more

In the last 20 years, the area of air-raid defense has been developed little, and the existing shelters have become outdated. Moreover, they are located mostly in the city center, which makes densely populated Moscow outskirts especially vulnerable in the event of a nuclear attack.

In order to resolve the issue, the city has given architects a task to construct a typical model of an easy-to-build shelter that will be located all over the city 10 to 15 meters underneath apartment blocks, shopping centers, sport complexes and parks, as in case of attack people will need to reach the shelters within a minute.

Moscow saw its first mass building of shelters in the 1930s, after which 7,000 of them were constructed. Some of Russia’s metro stations have been built very deep underground so that they could double as air raid shelters.

However, in the early 1990s, many shelters were privatized by commercial firms that used them as warehouses, parking lots, and even restaurants.

The video on that site says that the plans for the shelters will be developed over the next 2 years, not that they will be built by 2012.

By the way, where do we go in case of a nuclear attack ? Deepest place i know in Dublin is the jacks in Busaras. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

just wondering who the russians think are going to attack them. it's not 1960 again or have we all travelled back in time. maybe the froze kruschove and he's back in the kremlin thinking "MUST CRUSH CAPITALISM". BUILD 5000 BOMB SHELTERS. ah no there is something weird here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Maybe they are building the shelters to protect the people from ''CLIMATE CHANGE'' god damn Co2. Ex-squeeze me now while I go and hug a tree:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Maybe they are building the shelters to protect the people from ''CLIMATE CHANGE'' god damn Co2. Ex-squeeze me now while I go and hug a tree:rolleyes:

If you have good reason to doubt climate change you should post it in the other thread. I'd love to hear your reasons....

almost forgot the obligatory :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

yekahs wrote: »
    If you have good reason to doubt climate change you should post it in the other thread. I'd love to hear your reasons....

almost forgot the obligatory :rolleyes:
    No thanks.......

It is strange though that they want these shelters built. They must foresee something to take shelter from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

It is strange though that they want these shelters built. They must foresee something to take shelter from.

Yes, bombs. The clue is in the title: 'bomb shelter'. Did you miss that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Private contracters - jobs for the boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

maybe they are scared the those crazy Iranians are going to bomb them?

drkpower wrote: »
    Yes, bombs. The clue is in the title: 'bomb shelter'. Did you miss that?

So who do they think is going to ''BOMB'' them:confused:
    Come on, tell us

• Advertisement

So who do they think is going to ''BOMB'' them:confused:
    Come on, tell us

The Russians have been afraid someone was going to bomb them for decades and centuries now; and they have been at war for huge chunks of that period. When they havent been afraid someone was going to bomb them, they were busy bombing the other guy.

By any standards they have a massive army, a massive amount of armaments, including nuclear. They have a massive strategic defense. They have significant problems with domestic (and some international) terrorism. They obviously still have an espionage presence in the US and presumably elsewhere. They are a massive territory with NATO on their west, the world's next superpower to their southeast and the Middle Eastern nations to their southwest. They have a current or recent difficult relationship with at least 4 nuclear powers. Less than 20 years ago (a speck of time on a geo-political scale), they were in a state of de facto war with at least 2 nuclear powers. They still spend billions and billions on defense every year.

But when they construct a few bomb shelters.....ah yes, thet's when there is something fishy going on..... that's when a conspiracy must be afoot.......:D:rolleyes::D.....

Hohohohoho...

The Russians have been afraid someone was going to bomb them for decades and centuries now; and they have been at war for huge chunks of that period. When they havent been afraid someone was going to bomb them, they were busy bombing the other guy.

By any standards they have a massive army, a massive amount of armaments, including nuclear. They have a massive strategic defense. They have significant problems with domestic (and some international) terrorism. They obviously still have an espionage presence in the US and presumably elsewhere. They are a massive territory with NATO on their west, the world's next superpower to their southeast and the Middle Eastern nations to their southwest. They have a current or recent difficult relationship with at least 4 nuclear powers. Less than 20 years ago (a speck of time on a geo-political scale), they were in a state of de facto war with at least 2 nuclear powers. They still spend billions and billions on defense every year.

But when they construct a few bomb shelters.....ah yes, thet's when there is something fishy going on..... that's when a conspiracy must be afoot.......:D:rolleyes::D.....

Hohohohoho...

Good point:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Hohohohoho...

Seeing you were being such a self satisfied pedant in that post I feel bound to remind you that bombing's have only been an issue for less than a century, you know with the development of flight (for bomber craft) and jet propulsion (ICBM's).
    I'm not sold on this topic as a CT, but I'm not so hot on smart arse's either.

Ho ho ho:pac:

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    Seeing you were being such a self satisfied pedant in that post I feel bound to remind you that bombing's have only been an issue for less than a century, you know with the development of flight (for bomber craft) and jet propulsion (ICBM's).
    I'm not sold on this topic as a CT, but I'm so hot on smart arse's either.

Ho ho ho:pac:

Yeah, centuries. This one and the last one. Hohohohoho....:D

Good try though.

And why are you 'so hot on smart arse's'?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Smart arse:D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

Good point:)

"Centuries and decades, billions and billions". Good point ? :D:p

Russians maybe have been a little paranoid in the past lol

But 5000 bunkers in 2 years is a little of the ordinary for anyone's standards, that's 13 bunkers a day !! Big sudden rush operation !

Personally, I doubt they are concerned about bombs or nuclear strike, it's probably more to do with the sun, but who knows..

But 5000 bunkers in 2 years is a little of the ordinary for anyone's standards, that's 13 bunkers a day !! Big sudden rush operation !

Why is it out of the ordinary?
    What do you think the spend is on 5000 'easy to build' shelters?
    What do you think that works out at per Moscovian (at least 10,000,000)?
    How much of a chunk of Russian annual spend on defence do you think this amount represents?

Why is it a 'sudden rush'?
    Did you read the article that said that the shelters have become outdated over the years and that in the 90s many of them were privatised?
    Is any public works project that is completed in 2 years a 'sudden rush'?
    Is any defence project that is completed in 2 years a 'sudden rush'?

Do any of your points rely on evidence, common sense or just your own ill-informed hysteria?

It is out of the ordinary, that's why it's headlined. They are working to have everyone in Moscow fit into a shelter. It's strange. I'm not being hysteric, I'm just pointing it out. Do we have a single shelter here ? hmmm
    It's a sudden rush because it's a short time to complete such a task lol, you don't think so ? ha ha..
    Many public works projects would be finished in that time, for example..
    A block of flats
    A new road
    Maybe even a whole new estate

But 5000 bomb shelters ? that doesn't strike you as a little odd ? omfglmfao :D

It is a massive undertaking... MASSIVE

If you don't understand the scale of a project like this, you will never see it for what it is... :eek:

It is out of the ordinary, that's why it's headlined. They are working to have everyone in Moscow fit into a shelter. It's strange. I'm not being hysteric, I'm just pointing it out. Do we have a single shelter here ? hmmm
    It's a sudden rush because it's a short time to complete such a task lol, you don't think so ? ha ha..
    Many public works projects would be finished in that time, for example..
    A block of flats
    A new road
    Maybe even a whole new estate

But 5000 bomb shelters ? that doesn't strike you as a little odd ? omfglmfao :D

It is a massive undertaking... MASSIVE

If you don't understand the scale of a project like this, you will never see it for what it is... :eek:

What are you talking about?
    The aim of bomb shelters is precisely to house all (or as much as is practical) of the population. Otherwise people like you would complain that they are only building enough to look after the elites....:D:D

Its out of the ordinary 'because its headlined'....???:D
    So anything that 'is headlined' is out of the ordinary.........!!!!! Hohohoho.

And 5000 shelters is a MASSIVE undertaking in a city of 10,000,000...?:D
    Do you know how many houses were being built in Ireland (4-5,000,000) per year during the boom?
    Almost 100,000 (in 2006, for example); thats how many......

Yet you think building 5000 shelters in 2 years in a city of 10,000,000 is massive and strange.....?

Do you think anything through? Do you use evidence or common sense to make a point or just your ill-informed laughable hysteria?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

We must be on the brink of Nuclear war

• Advertisement

And 5000 shelters is a MASSIVE undertaking in a city of 10,000,000...?:D
    Do you know how many houses were being built in Ireland (4-5,000,000) per year during the boom?

4-5,000,000 (million ?) that would give us all a house each.+.. :D

4-5,000,000 (million ?) that would give us all a house each.+.. :D

No; 4-5,000,000 is the population of Ireland. 10,000,000 is the population of Moscow. Scroll down to the next line whetre i give the figure for house builds in ireland in 2006........

Can you read?

And is that reply the best you can do to my post?:D:D
    Pathetic.

No; 4-5,000,000 is the population of Ireland. 10,000,000 is the population of Moscow. Scroll down to the next line whetre i give the figure for house builds in ireland in 2006........

Can you read?

And is that reply the best you can do to my post?:D:D
    Pathetic.

Ok, you don't think it's strange they decide to build 5000 bomb shelters in 2 years.
    Many do.

Good luck.

Ok, you don't think it's strange they decide to build 5000 bomb shelters in 2 years.
    Many do.

Good luck.

Devestating come back.....:D:D

Dont deal with any substantive point; just repeat your ill informed hysteria and make no attempt to justify it. Well done......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Duiske wrote: »
    The video on that site says that the plans for the shelters will be developed over the next 2 years, not that they will be built by 2012.

By the way, where do we go in case of a nuclear attack ? Deepest place i know in Dublin is the jacks in Busaras. :D
    Truly the living would envy the dead....:(

°°°°°

Yeah, centuries. This one and the last one. Hohohohoho....:D

Good try though.

Hey smarty pants, did you read my post and the points there in?:pac:

Since bombing was only possible from around the 1930's( in any meaningful way) that would mean that we're still short of a single century by 20 years or so, never mind two centuries (this one and the last? I ask you).

You wouldn't arrive some where at say, 8.55 am, leave at 9.15 am and claim you spent two hours there. Unless you were some sort of super chancer.
    Now take your scolding:pac:

Edit: I just realised my typo in my previous post, that was classic, ha ha.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Osu wrote: »
    We must be on the brink of Nuclear war

I hope you like canned food.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Many do.

Good luck.

What would you do if you were in charge and were informed that the bomb shelters needed to be upgraded? Not build enough and do it as slow as possible?

nullzero wrote: »
    Hey smarty pants, did you read my post and the points there in?:pac:

Since bombing was only possible from around the 1930's( in any meaningful way) that would mean that we're still short of a single century by 20 years or so, never mind two centuries (this one and the last? I ask you).

You wouldn't arrive some where at say, 8.55 am, leave at 9.15 am and claim you spent two hours there. Unless you were some sort of super chancer.
    Now take your scolding:pac:

Edit: I just realised my typo in my previous post, that was classic, ha ha.

This century (21st) + the last century (20th) = centuries.. Very straightforward.

As you decided to pull me up on utter pedantry, I will reply in your language. You really shouldnt try and argue something that is so petty and pedantic unless you can be sure you are right. You committed the cardinal sin of trying to make a cheap pedantic point but actually getting it wrong.

Hohohoho:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

could you all stop taking pot-shots at each other. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Many do.

I find it strange that many find it strange....when there's no evidence that I can find to suggest that this is what they're doing.

They are developing the program in 2 years....so in two years time, they will ahve a plan on how to go about building 5,000 shelters...who will do it, how, in what sort of timescale, etc. I would expect that such a program would also define how sites will be identified and may have identified the first sites.

Speculatively, they might have a prototype of the shelter in that timeframe.

However....the notion of building 5,000 shelters in 2 years seems to be either a work of fiction or hyperbole.

As an aside - here in Switzerland, it is a legal requirement for there to be a place in a bomb shelter for every resident. Does this mean the Swiss are expecting to be bombed?

As a second aside...a google of "Moscow build 5000 bomb shelters" produces this thread as its second hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

jesus wept at this rubbish........ bring it to a PM lads.. can we discuss the building of 5000 bunkers....

so are they building 5000 bunkers in two years or are they taking two years to draw up plans to build 5000 bunkers ..
    this is critical to the CT..

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

robtri wrote: »
    jesus wept

What does that mean? I've never seen it before other than here, Diogenes uses it in every 2nd post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Right, I just deleted a few posts there. Thanks to Brown Bomber and Robtri for trying to stop the bickering, but I guess it didn't work.

Drkpower, give it a rest. You won't be warned again.

Advertisement