Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First car Insurance

• 13-07-2010 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, typical problem here I would imagine, 18 year old male, looking to get first car on just a provisional licence, as you can imagine insurance is sky high. Generally places are quoting around €4,000, best price so far was €3,600, does anyone know what would be the best way to go about getting insured? I don't paricularly fancy spending that much on insurance and have heard of people getting insured under their parents names.

I am literally clueless when it comes to cars, have 0 interest in them just will probably need one for college in september, havn't actually bought a car yet but I know a 1litre is recommended, is there any specific car that would be cheaper to insure?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I dont think they will even quote you after what you done to your fathers car that time.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

€4k sounds high, even for an 18yo on a provisional. Who have you been ringing and what are you trying to insure?

Try ARB insurance; when I was starting out they gave me a very good quote (well, good relative to the others I got!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I've rang axa, hibernian, aviva, quinn direct and a local place and they've been quoting me around that price, I just said a 1 litre nissan micra about 10 years old. But a lot of my friends have been insured under their parents names, but my parents each have a car already so if I buy a car but then try get my dad named as the main driver and me as a named one, would that work or is it even possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kiwilostineire

SARASON wrote: »
    I dont think they will even quote you after what you done to your fathers car that time.....

Is there more to this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Is there more to this?
    wooosh!

• Advertisement

I've rang axa, hibernian, aviva, quinn direct and a local place and they've been quoting me around that price, I just said a 1 litre nissan micra about 10 years old. But a lot of my friends have been insured under their parents names, but my parents each have a car already so if I buy a car but then try get my dad named as the main driver and me as a named one, would that work or is it even possible?

Depends on your fathers insurance company but most do not take your no claims bonus into account on a second car, so this would work out a very expensive, not to mention illegal, option. Your father would have to have the car in his name and if it were to get back to your insurance company what you were up to they wouldnt look upon it too kindly.

The age of the car could be causing an issue, especially if it is over 10 years old. Engine size isnt always a deciding factor when it comes to insurane quotes; you might have better luck trying to insure a 02 1.2L Polo than you will trying to insure a 98 1L Micra as the Polo is a newer car.

Try some local brokers and give Britton a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kiwilostineire

wooosh!

ahhh thanks for that

just picked up the name of the poster..... ;)

ahhh thanks for that

just picked up the name of the poster..... ;)

Took me a second until I saw his(/her) name as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

djimi wrote: »
    Took me a second until I saw his(/her) name as well!
    Me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

im a 18 year old with a full license and never insured before and the best i can get is from axa at €3100 with motor rescue break down cover and courtesy car blah blah blah.

and that quote is based on a 2005 2L diesel volvo s40.... its actually more expensive to get insured on a 1998 1.6L petrol vectra.

yes my license is clean and never done anything wrong.

will have my license a year now in september

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

robbie_998 wrote: »
    im a 18 year old with a full license and never insured before and the best i can get is from axa at €3100 with motor rescue break down cover and courtesy car blah blah blah.

and that quote is based on a 2005 2L diesel volvo s40.... its actually more expensive to get insured on a 1998 1.6L petrol vectra.

yes my license is clean and never done anything wrong.

will have my license a year now in september
    What do you expect with that engine size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

What do you expect with that engine size?

thats axa aswell by the way .. they seem to be the cheapest.

i did try a quote with a '02 1.2L polo but that ended up at €2765

so im thinking long run... i dont wanna get a small car thats gonna be small and crap on motorways and then try get rid of it after a year just to get another car thats bigger.

so im thinking just get a big car to begin with and keep it for a good long time and most likely it will work out cheaper.

make sense ?

Im not sure it will work out cheaper but I can see where youre coming from in being happy to pay a couple of hundred extra for the comfort of driving a Volvo over a Punto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Anan1 wrote: »
    Me too!

Ye are not quick enough for me ..:p Sorry ferris I am a cheeky bugger si I am told... I take it you tried quinn. The quote seems crazy. My sis in law got insured on a 1.0l polo for 700 with axa. I know girls are cheaper but thats mad. I got my first insurance in 1996 on a opel combo 1.6 diesel. That cost 2,700 pounds with quinn..;). I thought things got cheaper since that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - The cheapest way is to get insured on a parents policy for six months, and use this time to pass your test. There's no point in buying a car before this, as you can't legally drive it unaccompanied anyway. Then buy a 1.0, insure it in your own name for a couple of years, build up some NCB, and the world's your oyster.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paddylad100

Hi guys, typical problem here I would imagine, 18 year old male, looking to get first car on just a provisional licence, as you can imagine insurance is sky high. Generally places are quoting around €4,000, best price so far was €3,600, does anyone know what would be the best way to go about getting insured? I don't paricularly fancy spending that much on insurance and have heard of people getting insured under their parents names.

I am literally clueless when it comes to cars, have 0 interest in them just will probably need one for college in september, havn't actually bought a car yet but I know a 1litre is recommended, is there any specific car that would be cheaper to insure?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
    well lad...i am in the same position as you only iam 17 and the cheapest quote i have got is 2450 for a 1.4 with quotedevil ...my only problem is i want a van and nobody will insure me on it

Advertisement