Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish arcade machine builders

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

well you better get your hammer as it was like the one on the left.

control panel has now been drilled and made it a very nice looking generic jamma cab. Nothing says I love you like a generic jamma cab.

I think I might put a Tekken Tag kit in it that I have lying around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

purplec wrote: »

control panel has now been drilled and made it a very nice looking generic jamma cab. Nothing says I love you like a generic jamma cab.

Oh my God!! Everyone quick, hide - MODRAGE alert :eek:

We MAY just see a very public meltodwn here...

Bring it on lol I can knock him out with glass marquee the last shred of it being an electrocoin cab lol.

Think I might put like a hundred buttons on the control panel, make it look like darth vaders toilet and MAME the crappppppppppp out of it.

lol:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

i think I just threw up a little.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

EnterNow wrote: »
    So essentially, its completely safe to leave the existing arcade PSU running, with a JPAC connected to the harness, which in turn is being powered via pc?

If so I might just go out & restore PCB capabilities to my own cab, because as you said, the JPAC & PC essentially act as a PCB. Cool :cool:

Apparently so! It makes sense i suppose. If I fry anything you'll be the first person to know :D

Ouch! I was talking to Mithomagic and he was saying nobody wants dedicated cabs anymore. It's all generic mame cabs or straight up jamma cabs. Are you going to put any sideart on it purplec?

Master of the Universe

He's only joking Logie. He has to be....!

If anyone out there happens to have a Neo Geo electrocoin I'll happily trade it for my generic JAMMA cab for you to butcher instead. It has a bigger screen too.

LoGiE wrote: »
    Ouch! I was talking to Mithomagic and he was saying nobody wants dedicated cabs anymore. It's all generic mame cabs or straight up jamma cabs. Are you going to put any sideart on it purplec?

I've no prob with Mame cabs - but there's something so lacking about a generic cab. A cab needs an identity, a lineage, dedicated artwork & a dedicated feel to it.

Master of the Universe

Yep, I know exactly what you mean.

MAME is fine as long as you keep everything original and just use a JPAC.

I don't understand why some people not only remove everything, but also remove the dedicated artwork and replace it with generic MAME rubbish. Surely a cab looks far better with the original art?

• Advertisement

On a serious note the machine got resprayed to cover up some old sins and blemishes the control panel was srewed So I have mad a plate that has been bolted on and counter sun to hide the screws and holes.

All I have to do is fill the panel with P38 and sand down and spray the panel and apply the artwork and it will look swanky.

I will probably go with tekkentag as I have a full art kit and the board.

Master of the Universe

Where'd you get the Electrocoin if you don't mind me asking? And more importantly, do they have any more? ;)

And where did you get the artkit? Maybe it came with the PCB? I'm looking for a Tekken 3 complete artwork jobbie

The cab I have a bout a year it was in a sorry state which is why I gave it a once over. I git it from a guy called poolchamp and not cheap.

The art kit I picked up piece by piece from ebay.

I like to overhaul my cabs and try and get them as pristine as I can.
    I have
    a minty atomiswave I have a savage mameboard running in this.
    Mint Carnevil (Best Cab Ever).
    An old soul edge ( soon to be Soul Edge 2) needs a good bit of work.
    Sega Naomi universal painted black that I net boot on.
    Sega Naomi universal with a VCOP 3 gun kit that i net boot on.
    Electrocoin
    Generic jamma cab

The price of cabs have fallen over the last few months, im working on something special if I can get it in the house, and maybe build a small virtual pin.

Thats me done

I like to overhaul my cabs and try and get them as pristine as I can.
    I have
    a minty atomiswave I have a savage mameboard running in this.
    Mint Carnevil (Best Cab Ever).
    An old soul edge ( soon to be Soul Edge 2) needs a good bit of work.
    Sega Naomi universal painted black that I net boot on.
    Sega Naomi universal with a VCOP 3 gun kit that i net boot on.
    Electrocoin
    Generic jamma cab

I now, officially, dislike you :D

Where have you sourced those from? Don't suppose you know of a Ridge Racer 1/2 sit down cab for sale? :P

I do actually for £350 pounds and looks in good nick.

• Advertisement

il post somepics whenI get some time

il post somepics whenI get some time

Please do :) Are the shipping costs high do you know? Presumably from the UK yes?

Shiply.co.uk

Shiply.co.uk

Ugh - prob costs more than the cab itself I'd say. Those sit down cabs are monsters :(

Do any of you know of one in an arcade here even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

A friend of mine is starting a business selling these in a couple of months.
    At the moment he's building a few and going to use his garage as a showroom.
    Im getting the first one :D

• Advertisement

AARRRRGH wrote: »
    A friend of mine is starting a business selling these in a couple of months.
    At the moment he's building a few and going to use his garage as a showroom.
    Im getting the first one :D

Presumably custom built mame cabs and not a seller of dedicated cabs?

Master of the Universe

Ugh - prob costs more than the cab itself I'd say. Those sit down cabs are monsters :(

Do any of you know of one in an arcade here even?

Sure it's only money. Do it!!! ;)

o1s1n wrote: »

La De Da La De Da...sorry o1s1n man I can't hear you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

the control panel was srewed So I have mad a plate that has been bolted on

I know a guy that might have a spare Electrocoin Control Panel. If your looking for one I could try and get a pic. He would be more than happy to give it away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Or a fun weekend away :)

Van.. Ferry.. Pocket full of cash.. :) Did a weekend trip to Darlington years ago (Arcade Warehouse iirc) to pick up a dedicated 2 player 26" screen Mortal Kombat cabinet with a mate :) had a blast :)

Edit.. and yes.. Sit Down's are monster cabs.. map out the dimensions first... the missus wont appreciate sitting on a stool in a corner of the sitting room to accomodate your new love :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I have no cabs :(

anyone want to donate me one? Or even hook me up with a good one for a big sack of euros?

Welease wrote: »
    Or a fun weekend away :)

Van.. Ferry.. Pocket full of cash.. :) Did a weekend trip to Darlington years ago (Arcade Warehouse iirc) to pick up a dedicated 2 player 26" screen Mortal Kombat cabinet with a mate :) had a blast :)

Edit.. and yes.. Sit Down's are monster cabs.. map out the dimensions first... the missus wont appreciate sitting on a stool in a corner of the sitting room to accomodate your new love :p

Van = Money
    Ferry = Money
    Pocket full of cash = Money

:D

I have a large enough shed out the back garden where I have my Tekken 3 cab, plenty of space for a sit down racer if I find one :cool: It's getting the damn thing thats the problem :( Ideally I'd love to find a Ridge Racer cab here, an overseas courier cost would be immense :mad:

Master of the Universe

I'm sure there's one sitting somewhere just waiting for you.

Maybe get in contact with Mitchomagic and ask if he might be able to get one?

Other than that, you'd have to get a list of all the arcades around the place and ring/drop in one by one.

It could be a nightmare but at the same time you may just get something really cheap.

I'm sure there's one sitting somewhere just waiting for you.

Maybe get in contact with Mitchomagic and ask if he might be able to get one?

Other than that, you'd have to get a list of all the arcades around the place and ring/drop in one by one.

It could be a nightmare but at the same time you may just get something really cheap.

Mitch - fair play man, he completely slipped my mind despite being mention in this thread :o

Being such a dedicated cab (like most driving cabs are due to propritary controls), I just can't imagine one sitting in an arcade today :( Unless there's some old, run down, barn of an arcade somewhere in the country that hasn't been updated since the 90's :pac:

Master of the Universe

You should try Bray Bowl like I was saying. Its been about two years since I was in there but their Ridge Racer sit down was still in the corner getting no love.

I might be going out to Bray this weekend. If I am I'll try to remember to take a look.

• Advertisement

I was over with mitchomagic two weeks ago picking up the cab and he has a shed full of dedicated cabinets. I'm sure he would be able to source one anyway.

You should try Bray Bowl like I was saying. Its been about two years since I was in there but their Ridge Racer sit down was still in the corner getting no love.

I might be going out to Bray this weekend. If I am I'll try to remember to take a look.

Seriously?? Yellow pages alert. If your there man, I'd appreciate if ya remember to scope the place out :cool:

I was over with mitchomagic two weeks ago picking up the cab and he has a shed full of dedicated cabinets. I'm sure he would be able to source one anyway.

I've pm'd the mitchmeister there so hopefully he knows of something. Damn this, once I get an idea in my head I'll usually stop at nothing to carry it out. At the start of this thread I had no intentions of buying another cab. Damn A&R forum will be the death of me :mad::p

Save yourself a Fortune..make your own.

Car.jpg

Just confirmed a few things with Andy so will be fitting everything into the cab tomorrow eveing. Happy days!

I dunno man, it looks kinda tricky :p

NSFO - Link

Master of the Universe

NSFO - Link

Oh phew! I thought someone was after gutting another electrocoin and used it for a fish bowl or something :D

Those projection Neo Geo cabs are awesome.

It's my birthday tomorrow, so if you all want to chip in I'm sure I can find room for it somewhere...:pac:

Oh phew! I thought someone was after gutting another electrocoin and used it for a fish bowl or something :D

Those projection Neo Geo cabs are awesome.

It's my birthday tomorrow, so if you all want to chip in I'm sure I can find room for it somewhere...:pac:

Those cabs are SWEET. Not the same ones, but I remember a LONG time ago in Quirkeys there was a fleet of sit down fighter cabs (SF2, XmVSF etc). Memory is very fuzzy but it seemed like you sat about 5/6 foot away form the screen - which was HUGE.

Happy Birthday o1s1n, I'd never take you for a 34 year old :p:pac:

Master of the Universe

Those cabs are SWEET. Not the same ones, but I remember a LONG time ago in Quirkeys there was a fleet of sit down fighter cabs (SF2, XmVSF etc). Memory is very fuzzy but it seemed like you sat about 5/6 foot away form the screen - which was HUGE.

Yeah those things are mental alright. I remember playing a similar one in Bray bowl with Virtua Tennis. The seat vibrated whenever you hit the ball. Odd idea. For a tennis game, it sure attracted a lot of women.

I wonder what the upkeep on those screens is like? Say there's horrific burn in.
    Happy Birthday o1s1n, I'd never take you for a 34 year old :p:pac:

Feck off! :P

• Advertisement

Yeah those things are mental alright. I remember playing a similar one in Bray bowl with Virtua Tennis. The seat vibrated whenever you hit the ball. Odd idea. For a tennis game, it sure attracted a lot of women.

I wonder what the upkeep on those screens is like? Say there's horrific burn in.

Feck off! :P

I'd imagine Rear Projection screens suffer TERRIBLE in an arcade situation. Man where did all those cabs go to over the years? The arcade scene in Dublin was booming about 10/15 years ago - they cant all be lying in bits in landfills....can they? :(

Master of the Universe

Horrible to think about, isn't it?

I'd say they saw a similar fate to old cars. Into a crusher.

Remember that picture someone posted of a dump in Japan full of candies and old woodies? Oh ****, I'd finally gotten that out of my head. :(

They must be in storage somwhere, we have to find them!!!

They must be in storage somwhere, we have to find them!!!

On average, there has to be at least a fair chunk of them stored in places throughout the country. Private collectors, arcade basements, parents kitchens etc - a nice sit down RR cab, a dedicated SF2-CE cab, a shooter cab of some sorts, and my mame cab - ah some day...

Yeah, thats a dream set up, imagine finding a warehouse filled with cabs

Master of the Universe

parents kitchens

Hah! I wonder could I squeeze another one in there. Candies aren't too big...!
    - a nice sit down RR cab, a dedicated SF2-CE cab, a shooter cab of some sorts, and my mame cab - ah some day...

Ah yeah, that would be excellent alright.

My own plan would be -

Make my current one a dedicated Megadrive cab. Have everything to make that possible. Would just need to mod it a bit so that the Megadrive is easier to get to without opening it up.

Neo Geo Electrocoin & 6 slot MVS mobo (Need the electrocoin)

And then either a candy with a rotatable monitor, or a candy with a vertical and another cab for horizontal JAMMA boards.

While I'm at it, I've always wanted a dedicated Time Crisis cab too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I love Starblade, a cab of not inconsequential size, but I once got to play the similar Galaxian3, similar gameplay mechanic but with one big difference, the screen, it was huge!
    It had two 120" screens running side by side giving a massive display, biggest I've seen.
    Not sure if any still exist, certainly an old game now, 1994 according to wiki.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I love Starblade, a cab of not inconsequential size, but I once got to play the similar Galaxian3, similar gameplay mechanic but with one big difference, the screen, it was huge!
    It had two 120" screens running side by side giving a massive display, biggest I've seen.
    Not sure if any still exist, certainly an old game now, 1994 according to wiki.

Some stats from Wiki, sounds like a monster. And the price!

The arcade cost $150,000 (USD). Its dimensions are W: 16'7", D:16'4", H:8' and has dual 120" inch screens giving a single super wide display and high quality Bose audio.

Where'd you come across that?

It sounds epic!

I remember a Starblade in Quirkys, not the behemoth from above, but remember it being a monster all the same. Afair, you actually sat into it, being only open at the sides, big enough screen, epic sound system...really made you feel you were embroiled in a battle - quality game.

o1s1n - tried that place in Bray, fair play to them they got back to me too so kudos to them. Unfortunately his exact words were "It went to the arcade graveyard about 6/7 years ago" - Aw man, where the hell is the graveyard, I have some mourning to do :(:(

But no one who owned an arcade with machines would just throw it out! Makes no sence in any line of buisness, and its not like returning unsold games because sending them back to the supplier would be too expensive.

They must have been just ****ed somewhere!

• Advertisement
Advertisement