Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish arcade machine builders

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It takes longer than a few days to find a cabinet. If you don't want to spend a fortune and dont want to build, you need to play the waiting game. One'll turn up eventually. Contact Mitchomagic and see if he has any.

If you're building and want a proper arcade experience, don't use an X arcade. They're decent enough for messing about with but to be honest look a bit naff bolted to a cabinet. It doesn't look like an arcade machine. It looks like some wood with an X arcade stuck to it.

If you're going to make the whole thing, then drilling some button holes through a piece of wood and wiring up it up isn't going to be much hassle for you.

You can get get entire kits online alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding the repurposed IKEA cabinet into a cocktail cab, should have a broken screen lappy in Dec, going to pick up a 17" monitor then and have a crack at it.
    Would there be any advantage in getting a touch screen I wonder?
    Also, with regard to controls, would it be best to make them from scratch or cannibalise an existing arcade style controller?

Master of the Universe

A touch screen would be brilliant! Only problem though is it all depends on how much use you want this thing to have. I was going to make one as it can double up as a coffee table. People can put drinks and whatever else on it. These kind of advantages make girlfriends and wives happy :) As long as it serves a non videogame purpose.

A touchscreen though..I don't fancy putting a can of beer down on that!

Real arcade controls are always a plus. Cannibalising an exisiting stick and trying to get it to fit might be more difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

There are so many badly built arcade cabinets out there. If your going to do it use an old television at least. Computer screens look horrible when it comes to old arcade games.

Mounting arcade controls properly (as opposed to sticking an X-arcade on it) takes a bit of wood work skills so find a mate who's handy to do that bit for you at least so there's not big bolts sticking out the top. And find a proper button layout template off the internet.

Or just stump up a grand or so and buy and import a candy cabinet from the UK. Loads of people have them over there. Even the flat pack woodies that Gremlin are selling are much more expensive than minty Taito Egret 2's or Sega New Astro Cities.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Im pretty sure im going to build the cabinet, ive found some great plans/guides on the internet and I know a guy who is a carpenter in work, and has a lot of top quality machines in his workshop.

I have to do some more research into the controls as opposed the XArcade, am i right in thinking the XArcade is usb where as you have to wire up the other option somehow yourself? I am totally new to this, so its going to be a learning experience for me along the way, but im looking forward to it!

I think i will definitaly use an old tv or something as opposed to a lcd for the picture effect. Ive been reading you need a tv with SVideo in on it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

keithgeo wrote: »
    Im pretty sure im going to build the cabinet, ive found some great plans/guides on the internet and I know a guy who is a carpenter in work, and has a lot of top quality machines in his workshop.

I have to do some more research into the controls as opposed the XArcade, am i right in thinking the XArcade is usb where as you have to wire up the other option somehow yourself? I am totally new to this, so its going to be a learning experience for me along the way, but im looking forward to it!

I think i will definitaly use an old tv or something as opposed to a lcd for the picture effect. Ive been reading you need a tv with SVideo in on it?

The Jamma display signal is RGB...so anything with an RGB scart socket will do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I found, in my one experience of wiring up a set of arcade controls to a supergun, that the experience was a lot less intimidating than I expected.
    Just a matter of wiring each switch and remembering the ground.
    Unless there is something I am missing, it means that the only really difficult thing is the design and construction of the controller itself, the holes to be cut, vinyl to be applied etc, mounting of a dummy/real coin slot and that sort of stuff.

Thanks guys, is it possible to wire up the control panel etc to a pc or is that just the likes of XArcade controllers you can connect to a pc via usb?

Thanks guys, is it possible to wire up the control panel etc to a pc or is that just the likes of XArcade controllers you can connect to a pc via usb?

Are you building a Mame Cab or a standard Jamma cab

Im going to go with a mame cab this time out.

• Advertisement

Im going to go with a mame cab this time out.

Is that then a PC inside the cabinet, connected directly to a TV? If so, then your kind of limited in what you can do with your control panel. A standard Jamma control panel has the wiring running down into the Jamma connector, which connects to a game board or JPAC/IPAC etc. If your handy with wiring/soldering etc, consider making the Jamma harness yourself. I's very easy & allows you to use proper arcade joysticks & buttons etc.

Hmm decision to be made. so the options are

Mame Cab with a pc\tv and a xArcade - No custom controller

Jamma which allows custom controllers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Keithgeo,

I can save you a lot of trouble.If you want a project to do.I have a jamma cab upright is very clean condition,New WG monitor,or you could fit your own.control panel has been redone new stick/buttons and a overlay.I will include a PS and a wiring loom.So all you have to do is put it together.

Let me know if you are interested,if not no problem I will finish it

Cheers Mitch

Thanks! do you have any pics or anything, how much are we talking, I was planning on spreading out the money on this over a couple of months so getting money together for the whole thing might be an issue for me, you can pm info if you want. I really appreciate the offer.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Its the same style of cab as I have listed here,As for price I would need to know what you wanted to include.just PM and will can take it from there..

Also just remember 1 machine is never enough!!!!

http://adverts.ie/281066

Keithgeo,

I can save you a lot of trouble.If you want a project to do.I have a jamma cab upright is very clean condition,New WG monitor,or you could fit your own.control panel has been redone new stick/buttons and a overlay.I will include a PS and a wiring loom.So all you have to do is put it together.

Let me know if you are interested,if not no problem I will finish it

Cheers Mitch

To be honest Keith, that's the way to go. It's an authentic cab, with a proper low-res arcade screen, proper arcade controls, and you can get your hands dirty by finishing it off - the best of all worlds there really.

Also just remember 1 machine is never enough!!!!

Heed those words Keith :D Look what happened to LoGiE :pac:

Hmm decision to be made. so the options are

Mame Cab with a pc\tv and a xArcade - No custom controller

Jamma which allows custom controllers.

I would steer clear of x-arcade controllers, i've heard bad things about the quality of the parts, and they don't sit into your average cabinet too well and generally look crap, and take away from the whole customised nature of a homebuild cab.

To be honest building a control panel from scratch isn't that difficult. You only need basic woodworking skills, some MDF, a bit of plexiglass or perspex, a ruler and marker, and a drill and a cone saw drillbit, and you can make one to suit and customise it with whatever artwork you want. The wiring kits you can buy on any of the arcade suppliers online are very good and all come with quick disconnects (no soldering), so all you have to do is follow a wiring diagram and hook it into an IPAC interface which plugs right into your PC.

Just read up on it. It really is all painting by numbers, and isn't nearly as daunting as it seems. For me it was one of the most enjoyable parts of building my cab, and i was a complete newbie when i did it.

The one piece of advice i'd give you on building a custom panel though, is buy decent quality sticks and buttons, don't go for a cheap option, and research things like their mounting depth to make sure you know what thickness your panel needs to be for them to fit in it. Different buttons, and especially sticks, mount in different ways and require different depths of panel to be fixed into. Just plan out what you're going to do first before you hand over your credit card number to buy the parts.

Cheers, ive been reading up a lot on the control panel today and it doesnt seem too complicated wiring up etc, especially with the ones that require no soldering.

As i understand it at the minute, joystiq/buttons connect to a pcb, which in turn connects to a pc. How does it connect is it USB? or as metnioned in a previous post using some sort of Keyboard connecter or something? (just talking out loud, i know i can find the info on the net myself.)

To be honest im more worried about building the cabinet and controller unit. I dont have much experience with woodwork. I know a guy who might be able to do it though. Looking forward to the challange!

PS Someone posted a message with a link to a great site here yesterday, but its gone now for some reason. thanks for the link!

The standard Jamma wiring has buttons 1 through 4 (also the start button) going directly to the jamma connector. The game then plugs into that connector, allowing the button functions to work. If the game has extra buttons ie SF2, these buttons run to a seperate little connector, which plugs into the relevant spot on the game pcb.

For a cab running Mame with a standard jamma layout, it's exactly as above with one difference. If the cab retains the jamma layout, it presumeably will be running a J-PAC or equivilent jamma-pc interface. The extra buttons (if your control panel has them) get wired directly to the relevant spots on the jpac instead of the extra game pcb connector. The J-PAC plugs into the cabs existing jamma harness, and then links to your pc via a usb lead. Depending on the screen you use, you will need wither a JPAC or an I-PAC (i-pac if your using a standard pc screen, jpac if using an arcade screen).

LoGiE also bought an ArcadeVGA card, but the display end of things can wait for now as it's a whole other subject. Just pick out the screen you'll be using and go from there.

• Advertisement

Well, here is what im planning on doing, obviously there will probably be stuff im missing here as im a total noob but here goes. each one of these steps i have to look into further too so im not worried too much about the details yet.

Build the cab, I have been looking at plans on the net and have settled on one. Im going to get the wood myself build it, bolt it etc, spray it and all that. I may be able to get a carpenter i know to do this, he works in my job and is really good and has all top equipment available. I have yet to run it by him though.

I have PCs so thats not an issue, i can get everything i need there no problem.

assuming i now have a cab built im going to buy everything else.

buttons, joystiq, pcb, monitor/screen, marquee, backlight, glass for the cab, maybe graphics etc for the side and top of controller box, with a plexi glass cover or something.

now i know im missing stuff there that i need, and that i need to look into more and read about. ignoring the cab and design etc, what am i missing from the electronics side of things there that i need to go off and look into more?

Well, here is what im planning on doing, obviously there will probably be stuff im missing here as im a total noob but here goes. each one of these steps i have to look into further too so im not worried too much about the details yet.

Build the cab, I have been looking at plans on the net and have settled on one. Im going to get the wood myself build it, bolt it etc, spray it and all that. I may be able to get a carpenter i know to do this, he works in my job and is really good and has all top equipment available. I have yet to run it by him though.

I have PCs so thats not an issue, i can get everything i need there no problem.

assuming i now have a cab built im going to buy everything else.

buttons, joystiq, pcb, monitor/screen, marquee, backlight, glass for the cab, maybe graphics etc for the side and top of controller box, with a plexi glass cover or something.

now i know im missing stuff there that i need, and that i need to look into more and read about. ignoring the cab and design etc, what am i missing from the electronics side of things there that i need to go off and look into more?

What is the pcb on your list? Is that the J-PAC I was talking about?

Im not going to lie to you... I dont know yet lol. I was only reading about them today. Am i right in thinking one connects to an arcade monitor and the other type to a pc monitor? I read somewhere you can connect a TV too if it has SVideo in?

Im not going to lie to you... I dont know yet lol. I was only reading about them today. Am i right in thinking one connects to an arcade monitor and the other type to a pc monitor? I read somewhere you can connect a TV too if it has SVideo in?

If your using a pc screen or a tv (via s-video out on a gfx card), you need an I-PAC. This way, you can interface the arcade controls with your pc via USB. You then display directly onto the screen via your graphics card.

If your using an arcade monitor, I'd recommend a J-PAC. This was, you interface your controls with your pc exactly as above, but the J-PAC has video circuitry too. This means you connect the VGA lead from your graphics card into the j-pac, and from there on out the jamma harness takes care of everything else (as the j-pac & i-pac connect dorectly into the jamma harness).

Sounds good thanks for the help. I think i will look more into both before i make a decision no which way to go.

Sounds good thanks for the help. I think i will look more into both before i make a decision no which way to go.

An ipac is the simpler option if you just want to build a cab out of a PC and a modern monitor versus getting hold of an actual cabinet and making it's original low-res monitor work with a modern PC. Depends on the level of authenticity you want. As was already posted, JPAC is the same exact thing as IPAC, but just handles video as well, and makes your PC output the low res video signal that old arcade machines used to give you as well as looking after your buttons and joystick inputs.

Depending on what you want to do, most emulators like mame etc have effects to make the display on a computer monitor look like it's got scanlines, burn in, etc that old arcade monitors used to get, but many people will tell you there's nothing like the real thing if you're fussy. A JPAC is obviously more expensive than IPAC, and original monitors in arcade cabinets can be finnicky and prone to problems as they get old, but it depends how "all out" you want to go.

I used an Ipac and a PC monitor. Essentially, it makes your computer think the joysticks, buttons etc on your control panel, are keyboard buttons. it sees your control panel as a keyboard. You can get 2 models, the USB one, or a PS2 one (the old analogue keyboard connector, before USB happened, not the sony games console). The PS2 one has lower latency but it's really much of a muchness, make sure you buy the right one for the PC you're using though, especially if you're using an old PC from pre USB days.

All you do is build the control panel and buttons, attach the wires in the right order to the terminals on them, put the other end of each of the wires into the terminals on the IPAC and tighten the screws, and plug the IPAC into the PC and configure your buttons. Easy!

It sounds easy! haha..

I think im going to keep it simple, the first time.. ;) I have new pcs so im grand there, i think i will go with the ipac and a monitor and see how i get on. I appreciate all the info you have provided its been a great help!

Im off to look for more info on the ipac!

It sounds easy! haha..

I think im going to keep it simple, the first time.. ;) I have new pcs so im grand there, i think i will go with the ipac and a monitor and see how i get on. I appreciate all the info you have provided its been a great help!

Im off to look for more info on the ipac!

Contrary to the above, the added difficulty in using an arcade monitor is not very much at all. Pick yourself a nice cab from Mitch, which will have everything in it ready to go, all you have to do is plug the jpac into the jamma harness, the extra buttons in the jpac, and the vga lead form your pc into the jpac. Thats the hardware done!

Run soft15khz on your pc to modify the signals down to 15khz (the jpac doesn't automatically do it as was mentioned above), and thats it in a nutshell. Trust me, you'll be delighted with the results, instead of thinking "Hmm maybe I should have gone the j-pac road instead". Arcade games on a mame/lcd setup are noteably different to mame & arcade screen. I sold off all my jamma boards after seeing the result trust me, it's that good.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Contrary to the above, the added difficulty in using an arcade monitor is not very much at all...

This is true, both JPAC and IPAC are very simple to get running, there's nothing difficult in either, and the effect of having a real arcade monitor running your games is something that you have to see to appreciate how cool it is. Difficulty isn't really a factor. It's just a trade off between cost of parts and maintenance hassle if a hard to find part goes bust or something.

If you can get your hands on a good quality cab that's in good nick wiring wise, and has a decent monitor that you feel has plenty of legs left in it, by all means use a JPAC. If you have a feeling that your cab's monitor is on it's last legs and you don't want to be hunting high and low for a discontinued or hard to find replacement screen or tube or something, or if you want to build from scratch then a PC monitor and IPAC is probably the way to go.

They are both great options and both work really, really well, it just comes down to what makes more sense for your situation, and how much you want that really authentic look. If you have a BIG cab, a BIG screen is important. In my case i modified and resprayed a 3/4 size poker machine that had a damaged screen for my cab, rebuilt the control panel from scratch, and used a 17 inch CRT monitor i already had that was the perfect size, instead of the hassle of trying to source a working screen for it.

PS- whatever route you decide to go, take pics the whole way along and post em back here. It's something i never did on my first cab and i wished i had thought of doing.

• Advertisement

I think im going to take the handy option the first time out, construct the cab myself, spray, get an ipac, monitor/screen and a pc, buy the buttons etc and make a control box.

I will post pics etc im sure this first attempt will be a learning experience more than anything, i dont expect it to be great again im finished with it haha.

Im going to do a write up along the way over on my site gamersireland.ie . I do have one quick question though that might affect that, whats the legality of running mame on these?

I do have one quick question though that might affect that, whats the legality of running mame on these?

Unless your using a public domain rom, your meant to own the pcb's of any rom/s you use in Mame. It's undoubtadly there to cover the MameDev team legally & I would imagine it's largely ignored. Use free public roms to demo the cab on your site if you want to be really safe.

Master of the Universe

I've seen a couple of MAME cabs in arcades over the years. Downloading roms of PCBs you don't own is breaking copywrite laws.

However, who's going to police it? The Gardaí don't exactly have a videogame copywrite devision. And even if they did, they would be more concerned with modern consoles than 20 year old arcade games.

It's something similar to taping things off the television. Technically you're breaking copywrite law, but nobody really cares.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've seen a couple of MAME cabs in arcades over the years.

Now that would bother me, thats just greed personified. Raking it in for using Mame? Thats bad :mad:

As you said though, for personal use, nobody really gives a damn :pac:

well id be more worried about the fact the games companys are supplying us with review copys of games for the site! I dont want to kill off the relationships ive built up there. anyone recomend a game that wont break this copyright i can use as an example during the process.

As far as i can gather there's no real interest from anybody in power in stopping any private individual from using roms for personal, non commercial use. It's only in cases where somebody is making money off them that development houses and publishers would sit up and take an interest, ie selling mame cabinets full of unlicensed roms for profit without giving the original publisher a cut of the readies.

There's also a counter argument that these roms and their widespread availability recently have directly led to a resurgence in some types of classic games, and are partly responsible for success of their modern sequels and new profits for their owners. For example, the street fighter series has become a cash cow again for capcom recently, after more than 10 years in the commercial wilderness, but it's been played online constantly by a dedicated hardcore of nostalgic fans since it was out of the arcades. It only recently made the jump to 100% legitimate online platforms like XBL or PSN, but it had been played on emulators with roms for ages before that was viable, and many argue that's what kept it alive as a series at all.

I think most people would agree that as long as it's for private home use, and no money is changing hands you're absolutely grand using roms, but if you're not sure there are a handful of copyright-free roms that anybody can use available from the official mame website below. None of them are very good, but at least they're kosher if you're putting a history of your project on the web and don't want to step on anyone's toes.

http://mamedev.org/roms/

By the way, speaking of playing stuff online, just in case you weren't aware, a lot of emulators now have online matchup features built in. It's not something a lot of the cab building guides or project websites tend to mention because of the rom copyright issues etc. but if somebody was not too worried about all that stuff they could make a really cool cab that was wi-fi enabled and could play 2 player games against people over the net on it very easily. If i was building another cab it's definitely something i'd look into ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Sorry to harp back to the TV / Monitor issue, but I went in the middle of the 2 main ideas. I used a 25 inch normal old CRT TV (almost free everywhere and also gives the authentic look without all the hassle of messing with soft 15khz). All I did was get a $15 old graphics card on ebay with tv out (yellow phono jack) and plugged it into a scart lead! Done!

I prefer a PC over jamma, just due to the fact that you can play every game for every console ever made (up to playstation 2). Jamma is alot easier to set up, but you are limited to arcade games which was an issue for me personally.

Because I wanted games like mario kart and need for speed, I went with a U360 joystick. These cost about 50 quid+ each, but you can use analog. What this means is, if you move the joystick a little, it will move 'a little' on the screen which is perfect for driving games etc. With Jamma, they are microswitches, which means its on or off so this was another reason I went with a PC.

That being said, it probably have cost me half the price to build if I just went the jamma route and when are thousands of games not enough for anyone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Hi All,

Going to start building a Mame cab. One thing I cant find much info on is the machine accepting coins for credits. Most people seem to have a "coin" button on their machine. Id like to have a coin slot where the player puts in coins just like in the arcade. So is it possible to do this? Im planning on building the actual cab from scratch with some MDF. I have a nice design done for the side art. Im thinking that an "Arcade VGA" card and a Wells Gardner screen are the way to go? What do you guys think? Ive noticed that the WG screens seem to be out of production, is there any alternitives out there? I wouldand settle for anything less than a 15htz screen. One other question, where wold be the best place to order the buttons, sticks ect from?

Regards,

Kid.

Hi All,

Going to start building a Mame cab. One thing I cant find much info on is the machine accepting coins for credits. Most people seem to have a "coin" button on their machine. Id like to have a coin slot where the player puts in coins just like in the arcade. So is it possible to do this? Im planning on building the actual cab from scratch with some MDF. I have a nice design done for the side art. Im thinking that an "Arcade VGA" card and a Wells Gardner screen are the way to go? What do you guys think? Ive noticed that the WG screens seem to be out of production, is there any alternitives out there? I wouldand settle for anything less than a 15htz screen. One other question, where wold be the best place to order the buttons, sticks ect from?

Regards,

Kid.

It would work but you'd need to buy an arcade coin mech. It sends a signal to a pin on the jamma connector when its verified the coin. I thought they coded Mame in such a way that it wouldn't function with mechs, but in my Tekken 3 cab the coin mech works perfectly with Mame. The novelty does wear off so I've set the coin function to also work when P1 start and P1 button 1 are pressed together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Hi All,

Going to start building a Mame cab. One thing I cant find much info on is the machine accepting coins for credits. Most people seem to have a "coin" button on their machine. Id like to have a coin slot where the player puts in coins just like in the arcade. So is it possible to do this?
    Regards,

Kid.
    I got my coin mech from here : http://www.happcontrols.com/
    Cheap enough, and worth it IMHO.

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    I got my coin mech from here : http://www.happcontrols.com/
    Cheap enough, and worth it IMHO.

Wow I think I could get everything from this site, thanks! Some nice monitors there. Ill be sure to post pics up as I progress...

• Advertisement

I've used Happcontrols a few times with good results. The shipping on a screen would be horrific though, contact Mitchomagic & enquire if he can get you one. He's our local arcade machine man, & sells on adverts also.

EnterNow wrote: »
    I've used Happcontrols a few times with good results. The shipping on a screen would be horrific though, contact Mitchomagic & enquire if he can get you one. He's our local arcade machine man, & sells on adverts also.

Will do, thanks. Is it true the Wells Gardner have stopped producing CRT screens? I find this distressing if there is nobody else making arcade screens...

I seen one machine with a coin mech on that had switches behind the lighted up "insert coins" buttons. so when the buttons where pressed in (as in to return your coin) they hit the switches and started a 1 player game.

Right, ive fully decided on going with a Mame, I talked to a carpenter friend i know and we are starting on the cab next week!

Im going to buy an old tv and a graphics card for the pc. Can anyone recomend a card that will allow me to hook up the tv?

Im going to mess around with xp the weekend and and see what needs to be done to customize the boot up etc to block out xp stuff and boot straight into mame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 alandel2001

I seen one machine with a coin mech on that had switches behind the lighted up "insert coins" buttons. so when the buttons where pressed in (as in to return your coin) they hit the switches and started a 1 player game.

Right, ive fully decided on going with a Mame, I talked to a carpenter friend i know and we are starting on the cab next week!

Im going to buy an old tv and a graphics card for the pc. Can anyone recomend a card that will allow me to hook up the tv?

Im going to mess around with xp the weekend and and see what needs to be done to customize the boot up etc to block out xp stuff and boot straight into mame.

Sounds sweet. I can't wait to read about all the ins and outs of what you need to do. I'm thinking of building a cab myself, so any info you gain along the way would be appreciated.

Theres plenty of info out there on the web already, but ill try my best to make it easy and step by step. My first time though! ill be documenting it over on gamersireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 alandel2001

Theres plenty of info out there on the web already, but ill try my best to make it easy and step by step. My first time though! ill be documenting it over on gamersireland

Yeah, I posted a really good guide I found a few weeks ago, but the guy bought his cabinet. I think probably the biggest hurdles in doing something like this are actually putting the wood for the cab and the control panel together, then wiring up the control panel. It's all downhill after that. So, it would be nice to read a guide that goes into lots of detail on the first few steps especially. Will keep an eye out for your updates.

Keep us posted, starting myself soon

Will do, here is my opening intro for it on the site http://www.gamersireland.ie/?p=7798 now there are no details in that on how im doing it or anything its just an introduction, I plan on adding all links to each step in there to keep it all in one place.

I seen one machine with a coin mech on that had switches behind the lighted up "insert coins" buttons.......Im going to mess around with xp the weekend and and see what needs to be done to customize the boot up etc to block out xp stuff and boot straight into mame.

I think you can get coin mechs that are just leaf microswitches that you can wire into an ipac and set as your 1p coin button. You could also look into just setting mame on freeplay, I think there's a setting for it somewhere.

Be very careful fiddling with your boot sector on your OS. You can brick your computer very easily. There are programs you can use to do it but make sure you know what you're at. It's a good tradeoff to just streamline xp, switch off all the extra background crap, and stick mame in the startup folder with a custom theme on the desktop and the icons switched off.

My cab just goes from the xp boot load screen straight to a black theme I created and auto loads mame (no login, password etc). Setup correctly it takes under 30 seconds to cold boot. Alternatively, you always have the option of just setting the power button to make XP hibernate instead of shut down. It will wake up straight into mame if you do that, and only take a fraction of that time.

ah yeh its no bothers, i work in IT for a big company in Ireland the last 12 years, I know my way around a computer so shouldnt be too much hassle. Ill prob change the winxp boot logo and bar to something else then strip down windows to autologin etc. cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement