Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Look Refund Mistake/Problem

Options
  • 13-07-2010 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

About 1.5 weeks ago I was in New Look with my mum and we bought some item's each. I had a voucher to use, so I paid for all the item's and mam gave me the money for her items.

Anyway, when we got home, we both tried on everything and we decided to return the item's as they didn't fit properly.

So last Friday I brought back four of the item's (I forgot to bring the other item) and was refunded. €59, when I should have actually been refunded more.

Top 1 cost €22, top 2 cost €22, top 3 cost €35 and jeans which cost €15, which according to my calculator total's €94.

Yesterday I returned the other item which cost €25 and I was refunded the full €25.

It's just top 3 that I wasn't refunded for.

I didn't get a chance to check my receipt on Friday as I was in a rush.

I only noticed the mistake this evening when I checked my online banking and both refunds showed up.

The total cost of the item's was €114.00, I was only refunded €84, not €114.

I don't have the original receipt as the sales assistant said New Look needed to keep it now that I don't have any item's on that receipt which need to be returned, I only have the receipts which show the item's that were refunded and the proof-of-refund receipt to my debit card.

I have no other proof that I bought the third top and returned it as New Look have that top as well (obviously).

I am going there tomorrow and I am going to speak to the manager and see if (s)he can help me.

Is there anything I can do? I could print off my bank statement, which would show how much I paid originally and how much I was refunded.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

So last Friday I brought back four of the item's (I forgot to bring the other item) and was refunded. €59, when I should have actually been refunded more.

I didn't get a chance to check my receipt on Friday as I was in a rush.

As you said yourself, you were in a rush and didn't check. Your own fault really. They probably made a genuine mistake.

You can talk to them and see, but at the end of the day, it's your word against theirs. You can't exactly blame them, when you were in a rush and didn't check.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dr.pepper123

The top might be in the sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Paulw wrote: »
    As you said yourself, you were in a rush and didn't check. Your own fault really. They probably made a genuine mistake.

You can talk to them and see, but at the end of the day, it's your word against theirs. You can't exactly blame them, when you were in a rush and didn't check.
    I completly understand where your coming from, it was my own fault, but I wasn't expecting them to make a mistake when refunding me. I have never had this happen before (that I can remember anyway, and I doubt I'd forget if it did happen).

There is plenty of CCTV in the store, would it be possible for the manager/supervisor to check back over it and see that I bought and returned the item's?

Thank you for your reply.

The top might be in the sale?
    Nope, it's new stock, only just come in.

Would it make a difference if it was in the sale though, considering, I paid €35, so surely I should be refunded €35?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

print off your statement showing the refunds and they should still have the documentation for the refund in store showing your original receipt, i cant see it being a problem unless someone wanted to be awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

First of all they didn't have to give you a refund at all in the first place. They used goodwill and allowed a refund but you failed to check reciepts to ensure correct amount. Now you need to hope they continue to have good will and a manager makes up the difference.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    print off your statement showing the refunds and they should still have the documentation for the refund in store showing your original receipt, i cant see it being a problem unless someone wanted to be awkward.
    Thank you foggy_lad.

I hope ti can be sorted out and I'l get the €35 euros back.

Yawns wrote: »
    First of all they didn't have to give you a refund at all in the first place. They used goodwill and allowed a refund but you failed to check reciepts to ensure correct amount. Now you need to hope they continue to have good will and a manager makes up the difference.
    I completely understand they didn't have to give me a refund and I understand it was my fault I didn't check the receipts (I acknowledged this in a previous post) however, surely they'd have to give me something (refund, credit-note, replacement item etc) in place of the €35 euros.

I have a bank statement showing how much I paid, and how much I was refunded, the store should still have my original receipt which would show what I bought, when I bought it and how much I paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I thought you paid with a voucher?

MrsA wrote: »
    I thought you paid with a voucher?
    No, I paid with my debit card and had a voucher for a €5 discount.

The item's would have cost me €119, but I got a €5 discount with the voucher. The €5 discount was used for the item I brought back yesterday.

• Advertisement

Update:

I went to New Look with my mum and explained the situation to both managers and they were very helpful.

They checked the receipts from Friday and Monday and checked the CCTV cameras from both days and saw what happened. They refunded the €35 euros to my card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Next time i'd suggest trying on the items instore to make sure they fit also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Update:

I went to New Look with my mum and explained the situation to both managers and they were very helpful.

They checked the receipts from Friday and Monday and checked the CCTV cameras from both days and saw what happened. They refunded the €35 euros to my card.

Brilliant, fair dues to New Look. Nice to hear retailers being helpful (even though it was your own fault) as I fully expected you not to get any satisfaction. Glad it worked out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Happy it worked out for you. I hope you continue to shop in New Look even tho you had a small problem with a refund because they really didn't have to give anything in the eyes of the law. I'm glad to hear at least 1 retailer values it's customer's and wants them to continue shopping with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Yawns wrote: »
    I hope you continue to shop in New Look

I can't see why this story would put anyone off shopping in New Look, IMO the store went above and beyond for a customer and the store comes off very well.

Advertisement