Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Billboard top 200 albums of the decade

• 13-07-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭

does anyone know how this works? because if its based on the quailty of music and how good an album is as a whole, there is some serious bogey decsions.

interscope seem to dominate the list more than any other hip hop act/label. i think all of eminems albums prior to relapse made the list aswell as 2 from 50 cent and 1 from gunit and 1 from dr dre.

but how is the eminem show higher than the marshall mathers lp?
    country grammer higher than dr dre's 2001 and get rich or die tryin?
    nellyville higher than college drop out? etc etc

thats just to name a few but have a look through it and tell me do you agree with this list because i think some of the albums in it are a joke i.e ( bow wows beware of the dog ? im sure we could all name a couple of hundred albums better than that.

http://www.billboard.com/charts-decade-end/billboard-200-albums?year=2009#/charts-decade-end/billboard-200-albums?year=2009&begin=1&order=position

: im just talking about the hip hop choices ignore the pop acts etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Not trying to sound too demeaning here but it's a list compiled by Billboard therefore it clearly has to do with the quantity of albums sold in the US as opposed to the quality. A quick search would tell you that 'N Sync sold some ridiculous number like 2.4 million records in the first week alone and 11 overall. Never heard the album but I'd assume it's rubbish so don't take the list seriously at all if you're looking for a quality based review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Not trying to sound too demeaning here but it's a list compiled by Billboard therefore it clearly has to do with the quantity of albums sold in the US as opposed to the quality. A quick search would tell you that 'N Sync sold some ridiculous number like 2.4 million records in the first week alone and 11 overall. Never heard the album but I'd assume it's rubbish so don't take the list seriously at all if you're looking for a quality based review.

i honestly taught billboard done there stats via worldwide but i wasnt sure how this list was done i.e quailty vs quantity.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 brianjack

No, billboard charts aren't based on the quality of an album, Billboard is only looking at the sales in a specified region in a certain time period. Music magazines like Mojo or the Rolling Stone are usually releasing top album lists that are put together by music experts - e.g. the country music top albums listed here. These lists give a better impression of "quality" of an album than the billboard charts - so if you're looking for good albums to get, have a look at the top album lists in the music magazines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Its amazing how Nelly outsells Jay Z and Kanye West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

tomred1 wrote: »
    Its amazing how Nelly outsells Jay Z and Kanye West.

true that bud, and he still didnt make it into bet's top 10 rappers of the decade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Is it though? Nelly had way more commercial appeal than Jay-Z and Kanye West has emerged as an artist in a time where people don't buy as much music any more. Without some kind of weighting involved it's not necessarily a true reflection of the popularity of an album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 brianjack

I think Makaveli has a point. You can't really compare records sales from the early 2000s and right now, a lot of things have changed. A kind of weighting would make sense to be able to see how the Nelly album would sell nowadays. Without a weighting we are comparing apples and oranges, so you always have to careful when looking at sales from different years.

Advertisement