Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tricky Car Accident Situation

Options
  • 13-07-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I was driving on a country road today. Very bad weather..

I was at a blind junction, turning right onto a main road. I took the turn , but i went a bit late. There was a car on the main road. He jammed on the brakes, skidded, and hit into a stone wall. The 2 cars never came into contact. He damaged 2 body panels on his car and the headlight.

I think that if he had continued driving without breaking we wouldnt have collided. He thought i was at fault, but i refused to admit liability.

He's getting a quote for the damage and we've agreed to half the cost of the cost.

Who was liable?

Should we have involved the insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Should ye not have called the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

you are not legally obliged to cover any damage as cars did not collide. Bad news for the other driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

well first obv question is

who had the right of way,..

if he did, your liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jimjim_222

We did call the gardai.. One fella came out, but he refused to make a call on it. Just told us to sort it out between ourselves.

No, the other fella had the right of way.. Ya think that makes me liable?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Rule number 1 in any accident situation; never ever admit liability, even shared liability.

Was there any witnesses? How fast was he travelling? Were the guards called? Without witnesses it might be hard for him to prove you were at fault. Whos to say he didnt lose control of his car in the wet long before you pulled out of the junction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

thebhoy wrote: »
    you are not legally obliged to cover any damage as cars did not collide. Bad news for the other driver.

This is true. The other driver should have had his brakes covered if coming into a bad bend or limited visibility junction. Anyway no one was hurt so his insurance will fix the car and pilliars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

If its a blind corner he should have been going at a speed which allowed him to brake within a distance he could see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CarMuppet wrote: »
    Anyway no one was hurt so his insurance will fix the car and pilliars.
    might only be on TPF&T.
    regarding it being his fault because he hadn't allowed for conditions; if a pedestrian falls out in front of your car and you hit them, because you simply don't have time to react, it's nonsensical to say it's your fault for driving too fast. it's an extreme example, but there are situations where you can find yourself in such a situation where it's not your fault for not being able to stop quickly enough.

No, no witnesses at all.. We had a garda there, but he wudnt say who was liable because he didnt see it.. Ur man sed he was doing bout 40mph. Id believe him. The road was like ice, and his car didnt have abs. Its no wonder he skidded. I really should have checked his tyre thread depth tho.. Completely forgot!

Whats TPF+T? The wall was only ****e. Even the garda didnt care bout it., Thank god we dont have 2 worry bout that!

• Advertisement

Jimjim_222 wrote: »
    No, no witnesses at all.. We had a garda there, but he wudnt say who was liable because he didnt see it.. Ur man sed he was doing bout 40mph. Id believe him. The road was like ice, and his car didnt have abs. Its no wonder he skidded. I really should have checked his tyre thread depth tho.. Completely forgot!

Let his insurance company deal with that. Guards will never apportion blame (unless they are witnesses I think); thats the job of the insurance companies in this country. Honestly Id say good luck to his insurance company trying to prove that you were at fault (even tho by the sounds of it you probably were). Im not sure if its too late but get onto your insurance company asap and retract any statement you made at the time about assuming even part liability.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

third party, fire and theft.

I think that if he had continued driving without breaking we wouldnt have collided. He thought i was at fault, but i refused to admit liability.
    even if that was the case, it doesn't mean he was in the wrong by hitting the brakes, as once you'd pulled out onto the road, he had no way of knowing how fast you'd clear his path.

djimi wrote: »
    Let his insurance company deal with that. Guards will never apportion blame (unless they are witnesses I think); thats the job of the insurance companies in this country. Honestly Id say good luck to his insurance company trying to prove that you were at fault (even tho by the sounds of it you probably were). Im not sure if its too late but get onto your insurance company asap and retract any statement you made at the time about assuming even part liability.

I didnt admit 50/50 claim to the garda.. I only made the agreement with the man after the garda left. But if we end up contacting the insurance will our premiems shoot up? And will i have 2 pay a compulsoary excess?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Whats TPF+T? The wall was only ****e. Even the garda didnt care bout it., Thank god we dont have 2 worry bout that!

3rd party fire and theft. I dont think you should be paying anything to be totally honest

i imagine that he's going to tell his insurance company that you performed a dangerous driving manouevre, and i suspect they may hammer out a deal with yours, since he will almost certainly tell them that you admitted part liability, which will make them smell blood.

Would the best option so be to ring FBD tomorrow and see who would end up paying, sorta "hypathetically". Not give them my policy number or anything..

See where it goes from there..

Hopefully ill get away with it. Cos i suppose technically he should have been goin slow enough to stop safely in an emergency like that..

i imagine that he's going to tell his insurance company that you performed a dangerous driving manouevre, and i suspect they may hammer out a deal with yours, since he will almost certainly tell them that you admitted part liability, which will make them smell blood.

****! Well as it stands neither of us are goin 2 contact insurance companies at all.. Save the hassel. We are goin 2 gte his yolk repaired and half the cost..

Cos i suppose technically he should have been goin slow enough to stop safely in an emergency like that..
    if you pull out in front of someone from a side junction into oncoming traffic, and they plough into you, you'll probably find that you'll be the one to be deemed to be at fault.
    the complicating factor here is that there was no car on car collision.

I didnt admit 50/50 claim to the garda.. I only made the agreement with the man after the garda left. But if we end up contacting the insurance will our premiems shoot up? And will i have 2 pay a compulsoary excess?

Unless youve a protected NCB youll lose all or part of it and your insurance will increase next year. Youll also have a claim against you which will work against you for the next few years.

If Im being honest it sounds like you were at fault; if the road was very wet then you never pull out in front of anyone unless they are half a mile away (exageration obviously but you know what I mean), and saying he probably wouldnt have hit you means that in all likelihood he would have, so in fairness you should be paying him part of the costs. That said, Im not sure that his insurance company are going to be able to prove just how liable you are for the incident, and that being the case you might get away with it.

I was on the receiving end of a situation almost the same as this a few years ago. A woman cut a corner on a very wet road and caused me to slam on the brakes and hit the side of her. In my mind it was 100% her fault, but because noone would apportion blame properly (and Im convinced also because I as a 23yo driving a Civic hit her a 40yo driving a Fiesta with a baby seat in the back) I ended up forking out half (well, we ended up sorting out our own damage) and getting screwed for by insurance for the next few years. Not nice but I just had to bite my tongue and get on with it.

No idea why I felt the need to throw in that anecdote; it just seemed appropriate! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Let his insurance company deal with that. Guards will never apportion blame (unless they are witnesses I think); thats the job of the insurance companies in this country.

That's actually a bit strange.
    In most countries, it would be Police to decide whose fault was it, after doing little investigation.. (checking tyre traces, any scratches on the car, asking the drivers what actually happend, asking any witnesses, etc).

If in Ireland Garda don't do it, so what do they actually do?

Would the best option so be to ring FBD tomorrow and see who would end up paying, sorta "hypathetically". Not give them my policy number or anything..

See where it goes from there..

Hopefully ill get away with it. Cos i suppose technically he should have been goin slow enough to stop safely in an emergency like that..

No, he shouldnt, not in a situation like that. Its not reasonable to expect a driver to slow to 10mph every time they pass a side road just in case someone who cant judge distance might pull out in front of them. Thats why we have right of way laws.

If you swapped insurance details then you need to inform your insurance company either way.

CiniO wrote: »
    That's actually a bit strange.
    In most countries, it would be Police to decide whose fault was it, after doing little investigation.. (checking tyre traces, any scratches on the car, asking the drivers what actually happend, asking any witnesses, etc).

If in Ireland Garda don't do it, so what do they actually do?

They come down, note the particulars of the accident, take the details, generally assist with the drivers getting the relevant details from each other, make sure the situation remains civil, but they are not able to actually assess who is at fault. They will give you their details and the insurance companies are free to contact them to talk to them, but the insurance companies are not obliged to take their advise on board when apportioning blame.

That said, Ive been to a few accident scenes where the guards have, off the record, told one party that the other party is to blame and advised on how to proceed accordingly. Not official advise or on the record but they were very helpful.

Unless youve a protected NCB youll lose all or part of it and your insurance will increase next year. Youll also have a claim against you which will work against you for the next few years.

If Im being honest it sounds like you were at fault; if the road was very wet then you never pull out in front of anyone unless they are half a mile away (exageration obviously but you know what I mean), and saying he probably wouldnt have hit you means that in all likelihood he would have, so in fairness you should be paying him part of the costs. That said, Im not sure that his insurance company are going to be able to prove just how liable you are for the incident, and that being the case you might get away with it.

I was on the receiving end of a situation almost the same as this a few years ago. A woman cut a corner on a very wet road and caused me to slam on the brakes and hit the side of her. In my mind it was 100% her fault, but because noone would apportion blame properly (and Im convinced also because I as a 23yo driving a Civic hit her a 40yo driving a Fiesta with a baby seat in the back) I ended up forking out half (well, we ended up sorting out our own damage) and getting screwed for by insurance for the next few years. Not nice but I just had to bite my tongue and get on with it.

No idea why I felt the need to throw in that anecdote; it just seemed appropriate! :p

By the sound a things id say u reckon to sort it out without the insurance would b the best option?

It was a 03 citreon berlingo, and i reckon it needs a new headlight, front panel and bumper.. Id say in or around 1100 quid worth a damge. Thatd b 550 quid for myself. And sure the compulsory excess is 400, so maybe i wud b aswell off lettin FBD piss off!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

guys am i on my own here when i say, this accident would not of happened if the OP didnt pull out of the minor road onto a major road and cause the other car to swerve.

the major road has right of way, doesnt matter if the OP thinks the other car should of expected it etc, the fact it that the OP pulled out onto a major road without giving right of way to cars already on the major road.

in my opinion its the OP's fault in this case, sorry OP.

By the sound a things id say u reckon to sort it out without the insurance would b the best option?

It was a 03 citreon berlingo, and i reckon it needs a new headlight, front panel and bumper.. Id say in or around 1100 quid worth a damge. Thatd b 550 quid for myself. And sure the compulsory excess is 400, so maybe i wud b aswell off lettin FBD piss off!

If you can afford to then youre always better to settle outside of the insurance, especially where no injuries were sustained. You need to inform your insurance company either way; the other party have 6 months to claim for injuries and if you go back to your insurance company down the line they will tell you to go jump leaving you potentially in quite the pickle. Just because you inform your insurance does not mean that you have to let them pay our for you.

By the sounds of it that is going to cost more than a grand. The damage in my accident was similar (I had to have the corner of my bonnet straightened out as well) and it came to €2300 if I remember correctly. There was no other damage to my car such as wheels, suspension, radiator either, which might also have to be taken into account.

If you can afford to then youre always better to settle outside of the insurance, especially where no injuries were sustained. You need to inform your insurance company either way; the other party have 6 months to claim for injuries and if you go back to your insurance company down the line they will tell you to go jump leaving you potentially in quite the pickle. Just because you inform your insurance does not mean that you have to let them pay our for you.

By the sounds of it that is going to cost more than a grand. The damage in my accident was similar (I had to have the corner of my bonnet straightened out as well) and it came to €2300 if I remember correctly. There was no other damage to my car such as wheels, suspension, radiator either, which might also have to be taken into account.

Ya, i follow ya.. But would my premium go up if i told them about the incident? The other fella was sound as a bell aswell.. He didnt seem like the type 2 make up injuries. We actually had a bitta craic for the half hour we were waitin for the gardai!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ya, i follow ya.. But would my premium go up if i told them about the incident? The other fella was sound as a bell aswell.. He didnt seem like the type 2 make up injuries. We actually had a bitta craic for the half hour we were waitin for the gardai!

it will go up if you claim but some companies will pay out and allow you pay them back before renewal and hence keep your NCB.

Youre premium only goes up if you make a claim, ie, if they have to pay out money on your behalf for either you or a third party. With some insurance companies you can pay them back the money they paid out before your policy renewal and the claim does not affect your NCB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

And sure the compulsory excess is 400, so maybe i wud b aswell off lettin FBD piss off!

Are you sure that compulsory excess also applys to third party claims made against you?

Advertisement