Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet glued to floor

• 13-07-2010 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭

I'm getting new carpet fitted this weekend.

When I went to lift the carpet on the stairs I found the entire thing is glued to the concrete steps. :mad:

Can anyone tell me how on earth I can get it lifted?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had that with a felt backed carpet last week, and when I hauled on it it came up no problem and no damage (it was going to be put back). However if it is foam backed it is more than likely that the foam will tear away and you will have to scrape it all off. (Been there too :D) Is there an underlay?

Come to think of it, how are they going to lay the new one without glueing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Thanks!

I'd spent well over an hour with a chisel, paintscraper and elbow grease to lift the 2 corner steps before posting.

When I went back to tackle the regular steps, they were much easier. The adhesive was more sparsely spread and had crystallised a bit. And only the steps were glued, not the vertical parts, unlike the corner steps!

So all done as of 2 minutes ago!

I'm not going to worry about how the new carpet goes down. If it's glued then I'll just sell up and move when they need changing :p

Advertisement