Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sibe acting up

Options
  • 13-07-2010 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi all, have two siberian huskies, one 2 1/2 yr old male and the other 1 1/2 yr female. For the last couple of weeks the male has been acting up, jumping my back wall which I have repeatedly built up(nearly 9ft now), not eating his food, attacking the female at random....I'm nearly at my nerves end driving all over the place at 6 in the morning looking for him. Anybody know whats the story with him?

Thanks, Anto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is the bitch coming into season or is there a bitch in season in the area?

Is he neutered or entire?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭goldenshower

No she is not due for another two months. Thought that some other bitch was in heat but he still keeps ending up at my parents house....(bout 10 minutes walk) at some stage. He takes several diferent routes which makes tracking him down kinda hard. It is after totally coming out of the random because I thought that he had stopped it(jumping, escaping...) about a year ago. Thoughts? Not neutered.

Not really sure to be honest.

Are you sure the bitch isnt due for 2 months? How many seasons has she had? Seasons can vary from 4-8 months.

I would urge you to sort the escaping though and its not very responsible or safe to have your dog roaming the streets.

No she is due for her 4th heat soon. Have her schedule roughly worked out. I am not letting him wantingly escape. I have legally raised my wall as high as I can. He is getting more than enough walks for him to handle as he balms out for about 4 hours afterwards. Please do not imply that I am being irresponsible. As I said previously, it is only a new occurance. Was just looking for thoughts

The things hes doing sound like a male trying to find a bitch in season or he can smell a bitch in season possibly in the area.

Males usually go over their food, try to escape or get at a bitch whos in season, so if hes escaping he could be going looking for her.

Can you keep him inside or somewhere more secure?

Would you get him neutered or is that not an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Someone around the corner from me has a dog that kept escaping, they raised the wall but that didn't stop the dog so they got some aviary wire and some supports bent at 45degrees in the middle, the supports were fixed to the wall then the aviary wire attached so it went up and inwards at the top(hope this makes sense to you can't explain well), this stopped the escapes as the wire overhangs and he can't get over it.
    Maybe something like that would help keep him safe at least. Don't know about the attacking the female and not eating, could there be something medically wrong? A sick dog can get narky with others.

Yup I COULD lock him in all night night, but for the last year I was after getting to the point of trusting him that I could leave my back door open all night, just in case he wanted to go out. He is able to sit perfectly beside me outside for about two or three hours of I am doing something without running away, but left alone, even for an hour he is jumping and sprinting. BUT, this jumping and running is only for last couple of weeks. No bitch that I know of is in heat. Thanks for your input BTW:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

It really does sound like he's going to find a bitch in heat somewhere - either that or your parents have better treats than you:D

I remember reading on another forum about a way to keep dogs in. Put some wire a few inches down from the top of the wall, so that it runs all around the wall, but is about a foot out from the wall, not flush against it(hope i've explained that properly). Apparently the dogs can't get past the wire onto the top of the wall. I've not tried it, but someone else did, and swore by it.

Kinda know what you mean. Doing it tomorrow now as was just after starting decking my back garden, getting married in just over 5 weeks, etc..what I can't understand is why now? I trained the bejaysus out of him to the point that he will trot alongside me without a leash. If you know huskies, then you will know how much work that takes..I really can't fathom why it is now that he is gone all odd. There is no bitch in season anywhere from my house to my parents. Also he takes totally diffferent routes, about a mile apart. My GF, thinks that it is heat related, but they have been out in hotter weather and beeen alright.

Kinda know what you mean. Doing it tomorrow now as was just after starting decking my back garden, getting married in just over 5 weeks, etc..what I can't understand is why now? I trained the bejaysus out of him to the point that he will trot alongside me without a leash. If you know huskies, then you will know how much work that takes..I really can't fathom why it is now that he is gone all odd. There is no bitch in season anywhere from my house to my parents. Also he takes totally diffferent routes, about a mile apart. My GF, thinks that it is heat related, but they have been out in hotter weather and beeen alright.

I have a couple of huskies;) ISDW stands for Irish Sled Dog Welfare, I run a rescue for sibes and malamutes. Best of luck with the off lead thing, I would never recommend letting a sibe off lead, 99% of the time they could be great, then one day, they get a scent and off they go:(

• Advertisement

Know whatcha mean. Sure I got my bitch about a mile down the road from you if you are who I think you are. Don't know if it is related but my bitch is after going off her food for the last couple of days. Before she would have hers gone in half the time of the big fella and be sniffing aroound his waiting for him to drop his guard...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Not trying to be smart but sounds like hes not getting enough exercise, either physically or mentally.

Know whatcha mean. Sure I got my bitch about a mile down the road from you if you are who I think you are. Don't know if it is related but my bitch is after going off her food for the last couple of days. Before she would have hers gone in half the time of the big fella and be sniffing aroound his waiting for him to drop his guard...

No, not me, theres no-one anywhere near me with sibes, I'm in Sligo.

Do you ever work them? Its too warm now for mushing or bikejoring, but if you put a backpack on him when you walk him, it helps to wear them out, they know they're working, and the extra weight helps to tire them out more quickly.

Interesting about her loss of interest in food, because if it was her coming into season, he wouldn't be going wandering.

I don't "work" them if you know what I mean, but they are getting plenty of walks. More so now than ever, as herself lost her job so has more free time.
    @**Vai** I try to include them as much as I can when I am working outside, so it is not mental boredom. No offence taken:)
    @ISDW, there was something the family that I bought her off said about a sled dog rescue that led me to believe twas you down the road. Got her near ahasgrá(spelling?) if that is anything to you?

Advertisement