Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cottage pie & salad question

Options
  • 13-07-2010 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

My local Spar had a new meal-for-one on display today, a cottage pie with side salad, for €3.50. It was good value, and looked nice, and I bought it for later.

Tonight, I went to heat it up, then I stopped. A plastic dish, with half a slice of cottage pie, and no heating instructions. However, the cold salad (lettuce, coleslaw, cherry tomatoes) lay beside it in the same dish. Now I wasn't going to heat the salad, so I had to scoop it out first, then it occurred to me that the salad was lying in the dish beside cold minced beef, partially mixed up with it, no partition.

I microwaved the cottage pie, and ate it, and it was eatable (it tasted like €3.50) and I had the salad on the plate beside it. While it looked nice in the shop, is this not an odd way to offer a meal for sale, a cold salad and a portion of cottage pie that has to be heated, in the same dish? Are there safety issues with the meat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I agree - it is a bit of a weird way to package what should be hot & cold food.

As long as the meat has been thoroughly cooked it would be OK. If there had been raw meat next to the salad - then I'd have been worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

paddyland wrote: »
    My local Spar had a new meal-for-one on display today, a cottage pie with side salad, for €3.50. It was good value, and looked nice, and I bought it for later.

Tonight, I went to heat it up, then I stopped. A plastic dish, with half a slice of cottage pie, and no heating instructions. However, the cold salad (lettuce, coleslaw, cherry tomatoes) lay beside it in the same dish. Now I wasn't going to heat the salad, so I had to scoop it out first, then it occurred to me that the salad was lying in the dish beside cold minced beef, partially mixed up with it, no partition.

I microwaved the cottage pie, and ate it, and it was eatable (it tasted like €3.50) and I had the salad on the plate beside it. While it looked nice in the shop, is this not an odd way to offer a meal for sale, a cold salad and a portion of cottage pie that has to be heated, in the same dish? Are there safety issues with the meat?
    Normally they are sold hot for eating straight away. I don't see what the big deal was with heat separately, if it was me, i'd be putting them onto a plate anyway. Pie on plate, heat, salad on plate, eat.

Advertisement