Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Éireann all day ticket

Options
  • 13-07-2010 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone seen advertising for Bus Éireann's new city-day-saver ticket?

I noticed a (battered looking) sign in a bus on Sunday, saying it would be available from 21 June! But then I started wondering why I hadn't seen signs in any other buses, or any advertising. So I thought maybe it was a bus borrowed from another city and it didn't apply here.

But today I spotted this in Forster St:

RIMG1036.JPG

Either they're being very coy about advertising it (Google gives nothing, I haven't seen any ads/articles) - or I'm mortified about having missed something so basic!

Can anyone shed any light????

fyi ... the rest of the sign also introduces monthly and weekly tickets for students and children too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I saw it advertised on their website last year and tried to get one, no dice. Said it wasn't available yet when I called the office. (then why is it advertised online? :mad:)

Maybe they've actually rolled it out this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Saw it on an actual bus there about 2-3 weeks ago. The date of it being introduced was the same as you mentioned (21st June).

Seems like a good money saver if you're making 2+ journeys in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, and the €55 monthly ticket is less than the price of petrol for the same duration, not counting tax/insurance/purchase of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

biko wrote: »
    Aye, and the €55 monthly ticket is less than the price of petrol for the same duration, not counting tax/insurance/purchase of car.
    Aye, I'm loving the Student Monthy Ticket, it's so handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

True Biko, but for some people its not an option but it suits some people really well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

But if you're two people, it's still cheaper to run a car if all you're doing is short trips around town (which is all that ticket covers)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

The day rate is quite handy, quite cheap as well if your planning on going on atleast two journeys. However I dont like relaying on a monthly ticket. The busses are just to unreilable in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭yayaitsme

ya its really handy just get it from the driver and you can go on all the city services all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

yayaitsme wrote: »
    ya its really handy just get it from the driver and you can go on all the city services all day long

That means you've purchased one successfully? (I had visions of drivers giving very blank stares.)

I saw another poster tonight at the bus-stop outside the Abbey - but it's on the back side of the sign so most people at the bus-stop won't see it.

Not feeling so bad now, as it sounds like they simply haven't advertised it. Goodness only knows why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

This is a really good idea! I can't believe I haven't seen it advertised anywhere. I'll try it out the next time I need to get more than two buses.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

BÉ are offering 25% off a monthly return ticket before the end of August. Check your letterboxes.

Bump

I still have not seen this ticket advertised. People I recommended it to told me I was making it up. Can't see anything on the website either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Think I might have seen a sign on the window of Centra opp Foxs saying they sell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

They have the signs on some of the buses aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've used it a couple of times going in and out of gmit, great value if you are doing two return journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

My OH has also bought this ticket loads of times.

Looks like it is just me then

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Ive used the day saver a few times, I live in Salthill and had to go to appointments at Merlin Park hospital, so thats four journeys on the bus for 3.50. The only annoying thing was the irregularity of the actual buses concerned, I had appointments at 9 am one time and at 10 am the last time. Hopped on the 9 am Salthill bus as there wasnt one at 8.30, discovered the next available bus to Merlin Park was 9.45 which left it a bit slim for me to make my appointment.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Ive used the day saver a few times, I live in Salthill and had to go to appointments at Merlin Park hospital, so thats four journeys on the bus for 3.50. The only annoying thing was the irregularity of the actual buses concerned, I had appointments at 9 am one time and at 10 am the last time. Hopped on the 9 am Salthill bus as there wasnt one at 8.30, discovered the next available bus to Merlin Park was 9.45 which left it a bit slim for me to make my appointment.

Number 9 goes every 15 minutes and if you get of on Dublin Road its only short walk to get to Merlin Park, no need to wait for Merlin Park bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    Bump

I still have not seen this ticket advertised. People I recommended it to told me I was making it up. Can't see anything on the website either.

Most of the buses have signs like this:2011-10-02%25252012.22.14.jpg

Sorry for the rubbish pic quality ... but the important part is the line near the bottom that says "new city day saver ticket, E3.50"

• Advertisement

softmee wrote: »
    Number 9 goes every 15 minutes and if you get of on Dublin Road its only short walk to get to Merlin Park, no need to wait for Merlin Park bus.

It's not that short of a walk, especially since a lot of appointments for the Merlin Park hospital hospital are out-patients and X-rays.

It's not that short of a walk, especially since a lot of appointments for the Merlin Park hospital hospital are out-patients and X-rays.

It wouldn't be more then 10 minutes, so it is short!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

softmee wrote: »
    It wouldn't be more then 10 minutes, so it is short!

Not for someone in a cast it isn't :D I think that's kinda the point boney was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I decided to go 'as the crow flys' across the grass one winter night when I was visiting my mother.
    F#*kin sank almost up to my knees.

Sure for somone in a cast it wouldnt, but nobody mentioned this.. ;)

-and you don't have to walk across the grass, there is a path along the road and it was fine last winter;.

Advertisement